- - - - -

Microdose lithium prevents mental decline

micro-dose lithium lithium amyloid

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Microdose lithium treatment stabilized cognitive impairment in patients with Alzheimer's disease.

A lower incidence of dementia in bipolar patients treated with lithium has been described. This metal inhibits the phosphorylation of glycogen-synthase-kinase 3-α and β, which are related to amyloid precursor protein processing and tau hyperphosphorylation in pathological conditions, respectively. Following the same rationale, a group just found that lithium has disease-modifying properties in amnestic mild cognitive impairment with potential clinical implications for the prevention of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) when a dose ranging from 150 to 600 mg is used. As lithium is highly toxic in regular doses, our group evaluated the effect of a microdose of 300 μg, administered once daily on AD patients for 15 months. In the evaluation phase, the treated group showed no decreased performance in the mini-mental state examination test, in opposition to the lower scores observed for the control group during the treatment, with significant differences starting three months after the beginning of the treatment, and increasing progressively. This data suggests the efficacy of a microdose lithium treatment in preventing cognitive loss, reinforcing its therapeutic potential to treat AD using very low doses.

Now this may not be new news on longecity, but I am wondering if anyone got the paper?

Specifically, what I want to know, if they are referring to 300ug of elemental lithium or lithium carbonate?

Many are supplementing with lithium orotate or aspartate, but those provide 5mg lithium, and even that can have a negative effect on the mind (sleepiness). So if they are referring to 300ug of elemental lithium, we would actually only have to take about 1/17th of a 5mg pill.

Now that's low cost brain protection.

Just for the fun, I calculated it: 100*5mg lithium aspartate cost 8pound on amazon.co.uk. So this would mean about 1 penny per 2 day dosage. :-D

Edited by BioFreak, 03 January 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

Now that's low cost brain protection.

Not that cheap, but an easier available Mineral-water with 3.3 mg Lithium per Liter (at least here in Europe):

http://www.donatmg.n...eral_waters.php

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

You can always buy lithium aspartate or orotate in the uk and not worry about customs.

How much does Donat MG cost? I can't find it online. Daily dosage would be 100ml.

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

It's available here in every Spar-Supermarket chain outlet around the corner for 1.19 EUR per liter. I started to drink it because of it's super high magnesium contents.

#5 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

Next time I'll go shopping I'll look out for it. In the meantime, lets see if I can dose 1/17th of a lithium pill correctly.

#6 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't think taking the full lithium orotate pill is a big deal. Just take it at night. Great find.
  • unsure x 1

#7 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

I personally feel like even 1 pill affected me negatively, so I'll try the low dose. Besides, its a great way to save money. :-D

#8 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

When you find out how to divide the pill up into 17ths let me know. I guess you could grind it and weigh it. lol I took 2 pills the other day and felt fine of orotate but before it used to make me sleepy...not anymore for some reason.

#9 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

I have quite a few different small measurement spoons. If I am lucky, I'll hit 1/17 of one capsule content with one of them. :laugh:
If not, I'll probably try to find an approximate multiple, and mix it with water, in a syringe, and drink a fraction of it each day after shaking it.

#10 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet, which is one of the leading paleo diet books, recommends 2.5 mg of Lithium per day. Just get a standard 5 mg pill and use a pill cutter. Its been a while since I read the book, but these are my notes that I took when I read it:

Lithium - More lithium equals a longer life span. Low doses of lithium at around 2.5 mg per day are highly beneficial. It's best to take lithium in the morning as it influences circadian rhythms. However, lithium even in low doses is associated with worse thyroid function so it has to be monitored.
  • unsure x 1

#11 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Won't work with capsules, unfortunately I have those.

Does he have human studies backing his longevity claim? I think his guess is as good as ours. The study above however is based on human data.

I hope 300ug of lithium will not affect the thyroid. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#12 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Won't work with capsules, unfortunately I have those.

Does he have human studies backing his longevity claim? I think his guess is as good as ours. The study above however is based on human data.

I hope 300ug of lithium will not affect the thyroid. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You are seriously worried about 300ug of a trace mineral affecting your thyroid? lol

Edited by xks201, 04 January 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#13 BioFreak

• Topic Starter
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

No, thats why I am trying it, but I still consider it a possibility. To put things into perspective, selenium at normal dosages without iodine can also slow down the thyroid. So yes, even less then 300ug of a trace mineral have been shown to affect the thyroid negatively, in certain circumstances (low iodine).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 alpal

• 59 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

I take lithium orotate and it definitely has nootropic effects for my but for some reason it works much better when I take a dose the size of a breadcrumb. I'm not kidding. Barely visible, and its been consistently effective, and negates and negative effects associated with higher dose lithium orotate.

• like x 1
  • unsure x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: micro-dose lithium, lithium, amyloid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users