• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why is Longecity.org an "Attack Site"?

computer virus malware longecity.org longecity google blacklist madadsmedia.com ads

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I opened this site today to find this (in the attachment)...

Apparently, this site has been attacking computers?

Attached Files

Edited by TSX TypeR, 08 February 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#2 Debaser

• 108 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I got the same. If I clicked on more info, it said there were no risks in the past 90 days, so I don't know why Google has it listed as an attack site.

#3 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

I'm having the same problem, both with Firefox and Safari on OSX, I get this warning for every page I try to access on Longecity....

#4 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

Same here. It started today for me.

#5 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

It appears that malicious ads were being served on longecity via MadAdsMedia.
That has been removed for now.

Please let us know if there are any further malicious ads on longecity.

#6 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

I just got a warning from Fire Fox not to enter imminst.

#7 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

yeah, saw the same message today while attempting to enter

#8 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Also experiencing this issue (Safari blocking access, saying that longecity.org is serving up malware)

#9 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Probably some embedded images from malicious sites or sites that have been hacked, google would look at these in the same way as if this site was hosting malware.

use a mac

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

It was a malicious ad, but it has been removed now.

#11 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

there is no malware being distributed by LongeCity.

To all the users above, and anyone else who is currently browsing the site: it speaks to your confidence in LongeCity that you decided to click 'Advanced' and then 'proceed at your own risk' to get past that warning.
If you had clicked 'Advanced' and the 'Details about probleems on this website' instead you would have seen (and currently still can see) this:

Attached File  madads2.PNG   277.03KB   16 downloads

As Google explains:

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

In this case the 'third party' was, according to google, the ad network, Madadsmedia.com who we had used as an ad server for over half a year on an off.
I don't think we are likely to use them much in the future, not least because thousands of webstites have had that problem in the last two days, so they are unlikely to stay in business for much longer.
Just google madadsmedia and 'malware'

http://www.ehackingn...adadsmedia.html
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/webmasters/ZZbLgFfCQqQ/FFFb6kd0tiQJ
https://forums.digit...madads.2706515/

Serving ads is part of the non-profit 'model' of LongeCity: it helps us to direct money towards worthy projects in life extension research and advocacy.
In our regular Members survey, Members are broadly in favour about 'assertive' advertising.

How assertive should LongeCity be to raise money from advertising?
Very, the more money for the cause the better (15 votes [31.25%])
Perhaps a bit more assertive but within limits (20 votes [41.67%])
Not more than it already is (11 votes [22.92%])
A bit less than it currently is (1 votes [2.08%])
Advertising should be relegated to a minimum (1 votes [2.08%])

Should we try new routes/schemes for advertising?
No, stick with the current schemes (11 votes [22.92%])
Yes, why not (37 votes [77.08%])

On this occasion, the 'new scheme' has not been a success.

Meanwhile, the link to madadsmedia has been severed, google has been informed of this and we hope that the warning will be removed soon.
From what I read on the internet so far there is no indication that actual malware distributed by this ad network has caused any harm. Some would say this is Google's heavy handed way to eliminate competition. But let's not be complacent. If you visited LongeCity within the last two weeks on a computer (not a mobile device), and especially if you clicked on the ad that used to be on the rightmost corner of the screen underneath each thread in the last few days (it would have been a different ad from hour to hour, but that is the spot the was served by madadsmedia) running your anti-malware programme may be a good idea.

Apologies for the scare - there is no malware being distributed by LongeCity.

#12 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

This is exactly why as soon as I logged on to this site for the first time, I looked over the cross-site links and blocked the hell out of Mad Ads. Just the name struck me as something I wanted no part in.

Turns out I was right.

This issue was handled quickly and professionally, and makes me more likely to donate to prevent the need of having invasive advertisements on this lovely site.

Edited by Jeoshua, 09 February 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#13 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

It may take awhile for Google to remove Longecint/imminst from their malware list. Contacting Google may speed the process. One can request a re'audit.

#14 TSX TypeR

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

I hope it is removed soon, because it is now very hard to access this site using an Android phone.

#15 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I contacted google earlier today and it now seems they have removed LongeCity from the blacklist.

#16 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

That was... fast. :) GJ

I contacted google earlier today and it now seems they have removed LongeCity from the blacklist.

#17 muay

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

the warning will disappear on its own when you remove the offending ads, you can speed the process up by building some links to the site or a page which previously had the ad on so google spiders the page and sees it has been removed or alternativly contact them like admin has.

I personally hate when google tries to tell me what sites i can and cannot go to as they dont seem to block all the video sites which serve malware through frames and gifs but hey google is increasingly moving toward being a nanny search engine.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

The problem of advertising malware came up in late October with several users reporting problems. I'm guessing that was the same thing as this.

#19 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

The problem of advertising malware came up in late October with several users reporting problems. I'm guessing that was the same thing as this.

Yep, I remember it was the same "madadsmedia" ( and avazutracking) that appeared serving the ads creating the issues I reported in that thread..

#20 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

If it was a competitor of madadsmedia's (what a stupid name), they've been extremely successful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: computer virus, malware, longecity.org, longecity, google, blacklist, madadsmedia.com, ads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users