hippocampus walking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Say this yesterday

http://www.dailymail...memory-hub.html

very interesting, I wonder what the mechanism for this growth is. Either way that is a pretty positive result! time to step up the cardio it looks like.
  • like x 1

#2 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

probably bdnf.... all neuro benefits ascribed to aerobics point to bdnf

nice find :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Jbac

• 252 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Brisk walk? fuck that, I'd rather take a research chemical
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#4 ZHMike

• Topic Starter
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

hahaha JBAC I was gonna say the same thing, I just want to take a pill.. But maybe walking, take some NSI and we could be all set.

#5 socialpiranha

• 540 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

walking is pretty boring ha. The reason walking increases the size of the hippocampus is the same reason being a cab driver does. The hippocampus stores spacial information it's like your brains map of the internal and external world. Novel experiences like psychedelic use, intense exercise and travelling, things which introduce mass amounts of novel information all increase bdnf and subsequently increase hippocampus size. This is why increased hippocampus size is often synonomous with reduction of depression, it's really more of a side effect of increased activity though. Luckily it holds true as an antidepressant marker even when it is pharmaceutically induced.

#6 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

What supplements are known to increase hippocampus size?

#7 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

Brisk walks have been excellent for me.

When I do 45-50 minutes in the morning I feel energized for the better part of the day. Fresh air, movement and sun. Our bodies our primed to thrive from those simple things, but nobody makes any money from them, so there is little advertising.

#8 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

It is possible that this is effect is partly triggered by moving in one's surroundings, so trying to get same results on a treadmill might not work.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 khemix

• 190 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Brisk walking 20-30min a day on an inclined treadmill (speed = 4, incline = 5) has been the most beneficial thing I've ever done. They key is to keep your heart-rate elevated the whole time and not take breaks, which is why a lot of people starting with jogging or cycling never see benefits as they keep taking breaks. You are also less likely to be put off by brisk walking then more intense workouts so there is a greater likelihood you'll stick with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users