Photo
- - - - -

L-Theanine Megadose - ~40g

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Title SHOULD HAVE said 20g.But hey maybe I'll take the rest of the tub in a bit. I'm feeling destructive today, in a IM SO HAPPY I DONT GIVE A CRAP way. (hypomania, I know.. Sorry for pulling an isochroma, lol. No offense, isochroma)

So, I titrated up to a massive dose of l theanine. I dont have my scale, but I can say it was about 8-10 big ass scoops. (I know this is terribly hard to gauge the actual amount by, sorry) So by varying density, etc, it was AT LEAST 20g. Most likely a bit more. My tub is 50g, and over half is gone. I took it sublingually, and swallowed after about 2 minutes, all over a 45 minute period.

So far, I have not shat myself to death, so that is good.

I feel light and floaty, with some parasthetic tingling (the good kind)

I feel a mild stoning sensation.

Less awareness of body.

Eyes feel heavy.

Music is very enjoyable.

I feel like my mind is definitely in alpha waves.

Slowed thoughts. Relaxed. I dont feel couch locked, though it is pleasant to lay down.

I feel like everything is just ok. Peaceful.

It feels a lot like waking up abruptly and being half asleep, or better yet like the pleasant sensation of hypnagogia while falling asleep after 24+ hrs of sleep deprivation.

Yet I do not feel a strong inclination to sleep. I am caffeinated, however.

My respiratory rate seems lowered. Breathing is effortless.

I can smell much better.

I will update.

Has anyone else megadosed l theanine?

If not, I dont recommend it, as I foresee extended toilet time tomorrow.

Edited by katuskoti, 28 February 2014 - 05:57 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#2 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

interesting..the most i've ever taken is just a couple grams.
There was a thread on here about a guy that was taking megadoses of theanine daily for a while, buying it by the kilo. I cant find it anywhere though

edit: found it
http://www.longecity...post__p__577220

Edited by Adaptogen, 28 February 2014 - 07:23 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thats reckless, why come here to boast about it? Dangerous precedent for youngsters dont you think? This is a LONGEVITY forum, not a drug abuse forum so at least add disclaimers saying this is untested in humans.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#4 Sciencyst

• Topic Starter
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Nay, I researched its safety profile vigorously and SLOWLY TITRATED the dose up. When you have a panic attack coming on it's easy to do reckless and nonsensical things.

It just shows to me that l-theanine is indeed very safe, and has a low ceiling dose, perhaps 2g.Anything above does not change the effects much.

However I do apologize if my post came on as trying to boast(?) about megadosing. It is not something to brag about. I am not proud of it, but I do stupid things in certain situations. I am neurotically inclined to do so. But please understand that my logic was not: "IM GONNA TAKE A SHIT TON OF THEANINE SO I CAN SAY 'TOLD U I WAS HARDCORE' TO EVERYONE ON LONGECITY", but rather it was a combination of (a) thinking the stuff was inert (wrongly so)..... And (b) When I experience a panic attack coming on, I will do virtually anything to prevent it, even if it is taking retarded amounts of mild, nontoxic anxiolytics.

That being said, you're general attitude is correct, and I would feel the same if I saw someone else making a post I perceived as pure idiocy. I understand the purpose of the forum, and do not want little russian druggie kids making this place into the next bluelight. Because casually sticking stuff up your butt is weird.
  • like x 2

#5 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

"A 13-week dietary toxicity and toxicokinetic study with l-theanine in rats.
Food Chem Toxicol. 2006. Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
This study was conducted to evaluate the safety of l-theanine ( Suntheanine ) when administered as a dietary admixture to male and female rats at concentrations providing doses of 0, 1500, 3000 or 4000 mg/kg body weight per day for 13 weeks. There were no consistent, statistically significant treatment-related adverse effects on behavior, morbidity, mortality, body weight, food consumption and efficiency, clinical chemistry, hematology, or urinalysis. There were no consistent treatment-related L theanine side effects in gross pathology, organ weights or ratios or histopathology. The increased incidence of renal tubular cell adenomas in high-dose females only were not consistent with the characteristics of a renal carcinogen (due to early onset and low number of animals affected) but were more consistent with a genetic predisposition than with direct organ toxicity. The no-observed-adverse-effect-level was 4000 mg/kg bw/day, the highest Suntheanine dose tested."

Looks like L-Thanine has a pretty safe upper limit... in rats.

Edited by jCole, 01 March 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#6 Sciencyst

• Topic Starter
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

That is the exact study that convinced me to try such a big dose.

Again, I DID think twice before trying this.

#7 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I've taken 10g+ doses of theanine and to be honest it's not too awesome. It does have some interesting tranquilizing effects but nothing recreational in my opinion. It's one of those things where you have to dial the dose in right because too little you won't feel anything and too much you will just be too inhibited to get much done. At higher doses of theanine, without caffeine, I get lazy, apathetic, and I end up forgetting about a lot of responsibilities. On the other hand taking theanine with caffeine at an either 1:2 ratio or a 2:1 ratio, provides very synergistic effects.

#8 Ubiyca

• 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Sounds expensive..

#9 Sciencyst

• Topic Starter
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Sounds expensive..

Not expensive per se, but it was wasteful.

I've taken 10g+ doses of theanine and to be honest it's not too awesome. It does have some interesting tranquilizing effects but nothing recreational in my opinion. It's one of those things where you have to dial the dose in right because too little you won't feel anything and too much you will just be too inhibited to get much done. At higher doses of theanine, without caffeine, I get lazy, apathetic, and I end up forgetting about a lot of responsibilities. On the other hand taking theanine with caffeine at an either 1:2 ratio or a 2:1 ratio, provides very synergistic effects.

Yeah it's not recreational by any means, lol. I pretty much laid in bed and listened to music, and read threads. It's actually very, very reassuring that many popular supplements seem to have a dose ceiling or some sort of rate-limiting effect/enzyme where there is a maximal effective dose, and anything above that either does nothing or only increases side effects. This is in stark contrast to nearly all mainstream pharmaceutical psychiatric medicines.

#10 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

It may not be the smartest thing to do, but people who od on supplements need to report it. It gives us good practical tox knowledge.

I'm not promoting any of this, and I warn that this could be dangerous but, if you morph into isochroma for some reason, I think it is better off reported.

so, even though I disagree with your action, and I advise you for your own good by warning you that next time might not go by smoothly for your health, thanks for the report nonetheless.

Edited by medicineman, 07 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

• like x 2

#11 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

It may not be the smartest thing to do, but people who od on supplements need to report it. It gives us good practical tox knowledge.

I'm not promoting any of this, and I warn that this could be dangerous but, if you morph into isochroma for some reason, I think it is better off reported.

so, even though I disagree with your action, and I advise you for your own good by warning you that next time might not go by smoothly for your health, thanks for the report nonetheless.

Well the problem with "overdosing", is that it is almost an entirely subjectively set line. One persons overdose might be another persons goal, as was the case with Isochroma. Unless of course the person ends up in the hospital as a result of the dosage - that is what I consider an overdose. There is a definite difference between overdosing and simply taking more than is useful.

In the case of Isochroma, I replicated his experiences and dosages and throughly enjoyed it. It was a great experience, though, definitely not something the mind/brain can sustain healthy for extended periods. Very physically taxing, yet very very useful if used correctly.
  • like x 1

#12 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thats reckless, why come here to boast about it? Dangerous precedent for youngsters dont you think? This is a LONGEVITY forum, not a drug abuse forum so at least add disclaimers saying this is untested in humans.

I disagree rather strongly with this attitude. I found this thread because I'm personally interested in taking high doses of l-theanine, and I wanted to read reports from others who've tried it. When people try anything out of the ordinary, it's useful to share their experience so that others may learn and make better choices. Also, there is plenty of research already showing that theanine isn't toxic and it shouldn't even be considered a "drug." 

I'm tired of seeing the "commonly used dosage is 50 to 200 mg" for l-theanine. There is absolutely no reason to believe that such a dosage range is "correct" on an objective level. What happens with supplements, herbs, and drugs, is that there is an accumulation of reports and studies which tend to reinforce or reify what has come before, so we generate a conventional wisdom which isn't wise in the least. It's science by social consensus, which isn't science. My guess is that the suggested doses for most substances are based on this type of memetic evolution --- Person X reads that person Y uses 500 mg/day of a substance, and tries that level, then reports on it. Now we have 2 reports saying 500 mg is right. Depending on how many people see these reports or studies, it may spread as viral information and become the established norm, without any real basis for saying it other than the fact that everyone else is saying it. It's not knowledge, it's conformity!

We need more research of large and small doses. In the absence of controlled studies of widely varying doses, the best we seem capable of for now is to supply reports from willing guinea pigs, as katuskoti has done here. I consider it a valuable service to the community, provided that it's not just advocacy for everyone else to mega-dose as a certain member of this forum has done with reckless abandon in many other threads.

Edited by deeptrance, 22 July 2014 - 03:56 PM.

• like x 1

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

Nay, I researched its safety profile vigorously and SLOWLY TITRATED the dose up. When you have a panic attack coming on it's easy to do reckless and nonsensical things.

8-10 big ass scoops in 45 minutes is in no way slowly titrating, as a general rule.  Depending on the compound and what's in your digestive tract, you could ingest an overdose at that rate well before you started to feel it.  You were right to research the safety profile of theanine before you started, and I don't think you were in any great danger.  I just wouldn't want someone reading this to think that kind of dosing schedule was ok for anything, because for most things that would be crazy fast. 

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Sciencyst

• Topic Starter
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

In regards to titrating, I had been taking gradually larger amounts in days previous to this one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users