- - - - -

Brush on powder sunblock

sunblock

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Soma

• 341 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

I found this sunblock on a skincare website recently. I am interested in trying it and curious as to whether anyone has used it. My interest in this lies with the fact that I have a skin condition that essentially renders wearing sunblock creams impossible. I have yet to find one that doesn't severely aggravate my skin. This seems it would be far less comedogenic.
I also like the fact that it is comprised of mineral (physical) agents in fairly large concentrations- 15% titanium dioxide and 12% zinc oxide. In addition, it is apparently totally invisible (no ghostly white sheen) and easy to reapply. I'd love to hear some educated opinions.

http://www.dermacare...h-on-block.html

#2 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

Small powder particles from these sunblocks can clog some people's pores and aggravate acne. It does for me. Paula Begoun has also written about this. You can see if it does that for you. One thing that might help is to take fresh aloe vera gel and put in on your face, then let it dry and then put the powder on top of that. Another idea is to get a foundation with sunblock and put powder over that, sunblock or not. The more layers, the more unblocking. A wide-brimmed hat also helps. Putting a layer of cooled green tea on first of all and letting it dry also adds a little more unblocking activity and is also good for you.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

The sunscreen looks good itself as far as filters go. My issue is it being a brush on. Hard to apply the proper amount, which is around 1/4 tsp. for the face and same amount for neck.

#4 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

The need for frequent reapplication of sunscreen is a topic that has been touched upon here. I know a lot of you have stated that you wear sunscreen but don't reapply it throughout the day as advised.

I know that women who use sunscreen apply it before their makeup. Once makeup is on, reapplying a lotion would completely destroy the look of the makeup.

I do wear a bit of concealer to cover some of my nasty infection on my face and once that concealer is on I can't apply any other cream or it will displace the concealer and defeat its purpose. So not only is cream sunscreen aggravating to my skin, but when I have used it, reapplication is not feasible once any concealer has been put on my face. I assume the same would hold true for women that wear foundation, blush, or any other makeup.

So, this sunscreen may actually be more effective than those that are cream based, due the fact that it can actually be reapplied without manually rubbing the skin (causes irritation for me) or displacing any concealer.

I think concerns over achieving the proper amount of minerals can be addressed by applying two layers. What may be more effective: applying the ideal concentration of mineral agents once in the day and not reapplying (which we have learned its absolutely vital) or applying what may result in a slightly less concentrated amount of minerals but finally be able to reapply at recommended intervals without mangling one's face.

As far as acne, I'll just have to test it out and report back.

Edited by Soma, 05 April 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#5 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

I think if you use a sunscreen high in ZnO you don't necessarily need to reapply. If the sunscreen is still on your face, its still working I guess since its photostable. I only apply it once since everything else would be too much of a hassle most of the time but I think that in the evening when I wash my face before I go to bed I can still feel the sunscreen.
  • like x 1

#6 Soma

• Topic Starter
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

I think if you use a sunscreen high in ZnO you don't necessarily need to reapply.

It is my impression that it is essential with any sunscreen, even the most photo-stable. It has been discussed quite a bit on these forums. Needless to say, not many people do this because it is exceptionally inconvenient, especially for anyone that wears makeup or concealer. The first reapplication would smear the hell out of their makeup.

This type of product may actually make reapplication at any interval feasible, and in this way may prove to be the most effective type of sunscreen in terms of the delivery of the sunscreen agents.

It seems to me that you can have the best sunscreen available, but if you only apply it once, then it seems that it may be little better than doing nothing.

Re-apply sunscreen approximately every two hours

http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens

Recent research at the University of California Riverside indicates that sunscreen needs to be reapplied within 2 hours in order to remain effective. Not reapplying could cause even more cell damage than not using sunscreen at all, due to the release of extra free radicals from those sunscreen chemicals which were absorbed into the skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17015167

Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours.

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/sunscreen/sunscreens-explained

Reapply sunscreen every two hours
Forget all-day protection. Sunscreen wears off after just a couple of hours. So, make sure you lather on another golf ball-sized glob every two hours.

http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2011-may/sunscreen.html

Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours...

http://www.fda.gov/f...s/ucm258416.htm
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

It is my impression that it is essential with any sunscreen, even the most photo-stable. It has been discussed quite a bit on these forums. Needless to say, not many people do this because it is exceptionally inconvenient, especially for anyone that wears makeup or concealer. The first reapplication would smear the hell out of their makeup.

Explain to me why you would need to reapply a photostable ZnO sunscreen that is still on the skin. If the makeup is still there, so is the sunscreen. There is NO logic in that.

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

Re-apply sunscreen approximately every two hours

http://www.aad.org/m...care/sunscreens

Recent research at the University of California Riverside indicates that sunscreen needs to be reapplied within 2 hours in order to remain effective. Not reapplying could cause even more cell damage than not using sunscreen at all, due to the release of extra free radicals from those sunscreen chemicals which were absorbed into the skin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17015167

"due to the release of extra free radicals from those sunscreen chemicals"

^^^ This is obviously a reference to chemical based sunscreens not physical sunscreens with a mineral filter instead of a chemical one.

Edited by TheFountain, 07 April 2014 - 01:18 AM.

#9 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Most (well some) people are aware you should re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours if your sweating pretty hard, swimming, rubbing it off. That goes for zinc or chemical sunscreens. My zinc oxide sunscreen stays on my skin all day when applied once. I used to top it up a lil later in the day, but quit doing that. The MUCH bigger issue is the piss poor amount MOST EVERYONE who uses a sunscreen is using. FAR FAR less than is adequate. I always read people commenting on which kind of sunscreen, does it make me white, blah blah blah....but rarely if ever about the correct amount to use.

The dose used in FDA sunscreen testing is 2.2 mg/cm² of exposed skin.[38] Provided one assumes an "average" adult build of height 5 ft 4 in (163 cm) and weight 150 lb (68 kg) with a 32 in (82 cm) waist, that adult wearing a bathing suit covering the groin area should apply 29 g (approximately 1 oz) evenly to the uncovered body area. Considering only the face, this translates to about 1/4 to 1/3 of a teaspoon for the average adult face. Larger individuals should scale these quantities accordingly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

And I won't even get into the topic of chemical sunscreens (most) break down in UV light therefore need to be re-applied often. Maybe every 2 hours. :|o

Edited by mustardseed41, 07 April 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#10 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

I have used the powder mineral sunscreens as well as the other kind.  I live in a very sunny climate and have used sunblocks from the early eighties on.  I was under the impression that you don't have to reapply the mineral sunblocks unless you sweat them off.  Some of them might also be waterproof.  I remember having a hard time removing them when I wanted to.  

#11 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Explain to me why you would need to reapply a photostable ZnO sunscreen that is still on the skin. If the makeup is still there, so is the sunscreen. There is NO logic in that.

The sunscreen might be "still on the skin", but is it appropriately distributed? I walk to work at a brisk pace - by the time I arrive, my face is slightly damp with sweat. It's conceivable that the sweat thins out the coverage in certain areas, which would require reapplication of sunscreen (which admittedly I don't do).

Edited by blood, 10 April 2014 - 05:23 AM.

• like x 1

#12 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

You can see and feel if a mineral sunscreen is still there.  Some of it is quite water and sweat proof.   The stuff I'm thinking of is also a makeup.  

Edited by Luminosity, 10 April 2014 - 05:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunblock

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users