• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Best book or online course for learning C#?

programming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Master

• 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

I have just gotten through the basics of JavaScript and am now looking to get a basic foundation of C# under my belt, does anyone know which books have the best delivery as far as teaching goes / examples / explanations?

#2 LexLux

• 265 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

http://www.efytimes....asp?edid=135051

Resources (some may be freely available):

"1.The C Book

This is not a tutorial introduction to programming. The book is designed for programmers who already have some experience of using a modern high-level procedural programming language. The book will assume that its readers have already done battle with the notions of statements, variables, conditional execution, arrays, procedures (or subroutines) and so on.

2.C++ Annotations

This document is intended for knowledgeable users of C (or any other language using a C-like grammar, like Perl or Java) who would like to know more about, or make the transition to, C++. The C++ Annotations do not cover all aspects of C++, though. In particular, C++'s basic grammar is not covered when equal to C's grammar.

3.Essential C

This Stanford CS Education document tries to summarize all the basic features of the C language. The coverage is pretty quick, so it is most appropriate as review or for someone with some programming background in another language. Topics include variables, int types, floating point types, promotion, truncation, operators, control structures (if, while,
for), functions, value parameters, reference parameters, structs, pointers, arrays, the pre-processor, and the standard C library functions.

4.Software optimisation resources

This series of five manuals describes everything you need to know about optimizing code for x86 and x86-64 family microprocessors, including optimisation advices for C++ and assembly language, details about the microarchitecture and instruction timings of most Intel, AMD and VIA processors, and details about different compilers and calling conventions. 

5.Object Oriented Programming in C

This book is not going to praise object-oriented programming or condemn the Old Way. It's simply going to use ANSI-C to discover how object-oriented programming is done, what its techniques are, why they help us solve bigger problems, and how we harness generality and program to catch mistakes earlier. 

6.The new C standard

This book contains a detailed analysis of the International Standard for the C language, excluding the library from a number of perspectives. The organisation of the material is unusual in that it is based on the actual text of the published C Standard. The unit of discussion is the individual sentences from the C Standard (2043 of them).

7.Learn C the hard way

The purpose of this book is to get you strong enough in C that you'll be able to write your own software in it, or modify someone else's code. This book is intended for programmers who have learned at least one other programming language. This book is meant for total beginners and works very well as a first book on programming.

8.Optimising C++

This book contains guidelines and advices on how to write efficient software using the C++ language. Software correctness and maintainability are taken into account, but are not the primary concerns of the guidelines. This book is for intermediate C++ programmers.

9.C++ for C Programmers

A book with exhaustive examples of C++ intended to help a C programmer learn and use C++. This book is not organized in a traditional chapter format.

10.C++ Reference Guide

This guide covers constructors, destructors, assignment operator, operator overloading, memory management, templates, namespaces, time and date library, streams, object-oriented programming and design principles, the standard template library and generic programming, exception handling, runtime type information etc."

Check Course Providers:

"1.MIT Open Courseware

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity. Popular courses include: Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Linear Algebra, Circuits and Electronics, Introduction to Programming in Java, Introduction to Programming in Java among others.

2.Learning Space: The Open University

OpenLearn aims to break the barriers to education by reaching millions of learners around the world, providing free educational resources and inviting all to sample courses that our registered students take – for free. Popular courses include: languages, business, engineering, and others. 

3.Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative

You can access course materials at no cost to you and work at your own pace. The learning platform gives you targeted feedback as you go, which helps you know if you are mastering a topic or if you need more practice. Popular courses include: Engineering Statics, Responsible Computing, Statistical Reasoning among others.

4.Tufts Open Courseware

Tufts OpenCourseWare is part of a new educational movement initiated by MIT that provides free access to course content for everyone online. Tufts' course offerings demonstrate the University's strength in the life sciences in addition to its multidisciplinary approach, international perspective and underlying ethic of service to its local, national and international communities. 

5.Free-Ed

This is the right place for you if you have an open mind, a willingness to learn, are determined to succeed, and have a desire to take control of your future. You might be a homeschooler, a high school dropout, an hourly wage earner or a salaried executive. You might be looking for your first job or getting ready to "retire," you might be trying to get into a local community college, or looking forward to your final year at a big-time university. Maybe you are cramming for your cosmetology certification exam or dreaming about starting your own catering or tourism business. 

6.Connections Academy

The Connections Academy program is a rapidly growing form of free public school that students in grades K–12 attend outside the walls of a traditional classroom. 

7.OpenCulture

Get free online courses from the world’s leading universities – Stanford, Yale, MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Oxford and more. This collection includes over 875 free courses in the liberal arts and sciences. 

8.Open Yale Courses

Open Yale Courses provides free and open access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University. The aim of the project is to expand access to educational materials for all who wish to learn.

9.Udacity

Online courses here are rigorous and may even make you sweat. Tackling projects built by tech leaders like Google, AT&T, and Intuit, you’ll stretch yourself and learn new and relevant skills.

10.Textbook Revolution

Textbook Revolution is a student-run site dedicated to increasing the use of free educational materials by teachers and professors. On this site you'll find links and reviews of textbooks and select educational resources. Some of the books are PDF files, others are viewable online as e-books, or some are simply web sites containing course or multimedia content. 

Some more:

1.Google Code University

Popular coureses include: Computer Science, Programming Languages, Web Programming, Web Security etc and are offered via recorded video lectures, talks, problem sets, exercises, documents, and slides. Computer programming language courses include languages such as Python, C++, Go, and JavaScript.

2.HTML5 Rocks

Massive database of informational resources on anything and everything to do with HTML5. Tutorials, articles, and in-browser simulators get going on HTML5 focusing on three different groupings: mobile, gaming, or business.

3.P2PU

A collaborative experience, Peer to Peer University (P2PU) lets you learn in community with others and provides you with badges that you can display on your website/social profiles as you complete courses. Popular courses include: WebMaking 101, Programming with the Twitter API etc.

4.RubyKoans

The Koans walk you along the path to enlightenment in order to learn Ruby. The goal is to learn the Ruby language, syntax, structure, and some common functions and libraries.

5.Scratch

With Scratch, you can program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community. Scratch is a project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab. It is provided free of charge. 

6.Programmr

Programmr is an online interactive lab for students and enthusiasts to learn, practice and become proficient in programming. At Programmr you can code, compile and run projects right in the browser in almost any language. Code and run command-line programs, web applications, mobile apps, database apps as well as rich media apps right in the browser. 

7.Processing

Processing is a programming language, development environment, and online community. Since 2001, Processing has promoted software literacy within the visual arts and visual literacy within technology. Initially created to serve as a software sketchbook and to teach computer programming fundamentals within a visual context, Processing evolved into a development tool for professionals. 

8.Eloquent Javascript

Eloquent JavaScript is a book providing an introduction to the JavaScript programming language and programming in general. The book exists in two forms. It was originally written and published in digital form, which includes interactive examples and a mechanism for playing with all the example code. This version is released under an open license.

9.Hackety Hack

Hackety Hack will teach you the absolute basics of programming from the ground up. With Hackety Hack, you'll learn the Ruby programming language. Hackety Hack uses the Shoes toolkit to make it really easy and fun to build graphical interfaces. Several lessons and example programs are provided, showing you how to make all kinds of fun things!

10.Alice

Using an innovative programming environment to support the creation of 3D animations, the Alice Project provides tools and materials for teaching and learning computational thinking, problem solving, and computer programming across a spectrum of ages and grade levels."

Also Coursera and Edx

Edited by LexLux, 09 April 2014 - 01:09 PM.

• like x 3
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Well he asked for C# not C++. While they are similar in some ways, they are not the same programming language.

#4 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hmm i don't think you're going about it the right way. Starting with weakly typed languages like javascript is bad because your first goal should be to make sure you can use types accurately and strictly. If you lose track of types in JS, the code wont make any sense at all after a certain level of complexity. Being able to rigorously use types will greatly reduce the number of errors you make in weakly typed languages and improve your programming expertise. 

I personally started with C and then moved to assembly, which taught me to write  precise, efficient code, and also taught me to be able to keep track of many different variables throughout unique contexts when i eventually moved to JS.

Learning JAVA is also the best, imo, to first learn object oriented principles. JAVA is very amputated compared to C++ and will provide a simpler learning experience. 

Edited by serp777, 29 June 2014 - 09:17 PM.

• Informative x 1

#5 redFishBlueFish

• 186 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

It seems I missed this thread when I first started. He wants a recommendation, so I recommend headfirst C# and C# in depth. Both of them will give you the start and in-depth look of C#. Since you have javascript under your belt, it shouldn't be too much of a transition from formatting used. I dove into javascript through codecademy and found it wasn't indepth enough for me.

I've used Murach's C# book and found it was "ok." I say this because half the book teaches you how to make windows form programs, like a calculator for A,B,C topic. It dives into so many subjects towards the end and I find that it's just a mess. The other part that I don't like is it doesn't teach you like headfirst would. Sure, you can grudge your way through the book, but it would be much easier with a teacher type book.

#6 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

I'd like to learn Python, it should make Matlab/IDL almost obsolete in the near future.

• Agree x 1

#7 lenasmith

• 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:02 AM

Start your C ++ tutorial in the C ++ programming language. Microsoft offers free online introductory, intermediate and advanced courses in C ++ under edX. The Beginner's Computer Programming course covers the basics of C ++ syntax and the C language, as well as creating functions to give you the basics for learning the C computer programming language. The following course in the series covers the concepts of object-oriented programming as well as memory management and the use of streams and files for input / output operations. A C ++ tutorial allows you to write programs that can run on many different operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OS, and that can also be used in game development. Get to know these introductory C ++ courses and develop your programming skills. Oliver Queen Stephen Amell Costume

sponsored ad

• Advert

#8 Olivia Fair

• 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:58 PM

A really great book is Csharpcourse.com by Rob Miles. I've been working with the language for some years now, but I decided to look over it when I was searching for a guide for somebody and it's really a quality introduction to both C# and programming. 

Edited by Olivia Fair, 31 March 2021 - 08:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users