* * * * * 1 votes

9-fluorenol modafinil alternative

research

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nootrapedia

• 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

9-fluorenol has been a subject of much interest among nootropics users for quite a while now, ever since the Cephalon study that suggested the prescription drug Modafinil had only a few main active metabolites, one of them being 9-fluorenol which was reported to be 39% more effective than Modafinil alone. Additionally It does not have known toxicity or carcinogenicity in humans. If enough interest is shown I am tempted to buy a quantity, have it third party purity tested by a lab of the community's choice and make research packs available to the community. Please comment with your interests or concerns.This substance already seems far safer than most of the other nootropics that people have bandwagon jumped onto in the past, due to its direct association with Modafinil. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorenol (be sure to check out the references at the bottom of the page as well)

• like x 2

#2 YOLF

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

I'm interested.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Me too depending on cost.

#4 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'd be interested in a alanine  ester of it...

#5 Nootrapedia

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Yeah, I would be more interested in that as well, but I admit I have no hope for guessing pharmacokinetics, so this is the next best thing. My worry with fluorenol is that it needs a quick digesting/converting replacement for the alcohol group to be fully effective so that the liver doesn't oxidize it to something worthless immediately. I wonder if an alanine ester would be able to be added, then be completely converted back to the alcohol.

#6 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm not that hip on pharmacology, but I would assume that being that monoamine oxidase wouldn't work on it fast because of the secondary carbon next to the amine that it would broken down by the esterases back into fluorenol and alanine, wiki says fluorenol isn't considered dangerous, and alanine is a amino acid.

So my best guess is it's half life would be based on how long it took the esterases to work on it, and with all that carbon at the other end of it, it could very well be extremely potent. lol, I'd take some and let you know....

#7 Nootrapedia

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'd love to do some experimentation and try it out, but I don't think I want to be doing any home synthesis! :P If its already available in a pure form that would be quite appealing. 

#8 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Probably right about that, my understanding is that carboxylic acids are only easily esterified via H+ with simple alcohols.....

#9 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:15 AM

Concerning the possible liver action or other chemistry getting in the way…..what about sublingual or nasal pathways? There could be some reason I'm unaware of. I tried pramiracetam sub lingual in a small amount it was not a good idea. For a while my tongue felt like it does if you drink something that's too hot for comfort.

Ron

#10 p155

• 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

While I hate how the major drug companies have overly inflated the price of Modafinil in this country, I realized that have a right to do this given that they created and patented the "recipe." 

So my question to you, which is probably going to be hard to answer, is whether you think the drug companies will go after 9-fluorenol and somehow claim that, even though it's a metabolite of Modafinil?

I seriously doubt it myself. 

#11 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

This has been discussed before, interest kind of died off.  

http://www.longecity...e-to-modafinil/

I am also interested.. could be a safe legal-ish way to get a mod like substance stateside, at least we would not be importing a controlled substance

#12 Nootrapedia

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

No, I really don't think that could happen because Its patent expired long ago. It was first patented in 1939 so no one has a claim on 9-fluorenol as far as I know. 

#13 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:12 AM

hmm I wonder why some of the noot companies don't pick this up then? If any applicable patent has expired... anyone could synthesize and sell this stuff? Since it is a metabolite of mod we know it is at least as safe as mod.. which is nice.  Not that I am against a group buy, but if I could get this from a reputable supplier the group buy anxiety would be eliminated. 

#14 ron45

• 207 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

Anytime you can circumvent big pharma I'm all for it. These people are a big part of the money that bought and paid for the death of single payer health care. The money is always wrong. The insurance companies [ another group of raptors ] helped too. Point is if they can throw that kind of money around to subvert democratic process they deserve to be circumvented. That is the very least they deserve……. 

Ron

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#15 Junipersun

• 70 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

Additionally It does not have known toxicity or carcinogenicity in humans.

I know this an very old thread, but looking to confirm this statement is not possible. There were no human trials carried out. I guess this claim stems from the wiki-sentence "Its toxicity and carcinogenicity in humans are unknown" which was misinterpreted. It just says that there is no data yet. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: research

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users