• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

private pathology (no doctor referral required)

private pathology

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tolerant

• 470 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Does anybody know of a private blood testing service, where you can just rock up and pay for the test without going through a doctor?

#2 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

In Bulgaria all of the private blood testing services are like that. You go in, say what you want to test in your blood, pay and get the results. But... it is in Bulgaria. Quite a long way from Australia.

#3 tolerant

• Topic Starter
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

In Bulgaria all of the private blood testing services are like that. You go in, say what you want to test in your blood, pay and get the results. But... it is in Bulgaria. Quite a long way from Australia.

It's the same in Russia. You just turn up to a lab and do the test. The last time I saw a GP, I asked for my magnesium levels to be checked. Mg is the nutrient most linked to my condition, and I've never had my Mg status checked in my entire life, it's not like I ask for it every day. I was refused. Now I have to find a GP versed in nutritional medicine to try and have the test done. Because of how low I generally feel, this is hard for me to do. Had their been a lab without any questions being asked, without having to recount your medical history, etc., I would have done the test long ago. Even in Western civilized countries like the US you can do private lab tests.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

I wopnder why in Australia you can not privately pay for the exam and have it? What is the purpose of that?

#5 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

I don't know. You might as well ask What is the purpose of not having a cryonics team in the countries where they have assisted suicide and vice versa

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#6 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

If you can't access a lab directly, you can try an Osteopath.  They are doctors who in most countries can order lab tests but they tend to be more open-minded.  Not all labs are good.  Not all lab test results are valid.   

Edited by Luminosity, 04 July 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#7 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

I was refused. Now I have to find a GP versed in nutritional medicine to try and have the test done.

Even if you do manage to get a blood test for magnesium, how will you interpret the results?
Is it even known what the ideal or optimum, as opposed to normal, range is for blood magnesium levels?
If the test says you are in the low normal range - does that mean you won't benefit from getting more magnesium in your diet or taking a supplement?

You could simply assume that you are deficient in magnesium & take a supplement for 6 months, & monitor how you feel. :) With something as benign & inexpensive as magnesium, that is a valid approach I think.

#8 tolerant

• Topic Starter
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

I wopnder why in Australia you can not privately pay for the exam and have it? What is the purpose of that?

Most basic tests are subsidised by the government. That is one reason that you require a referral. To stop people abusing the system and having unnecessary tests paid for by the government. However, some tests are not subsidised. And irrespective of whether tests are subsidised or not, you can't just turn up at a pathology and request it by saying you will waive any subsidy and pay the full fee. The reason for that? Probably to stop people from diagnosing themselves. It's a policy issue. Although I don't think there are any legal barriers to operating a private pathology. There are many "alternative" tests that you can order in the form of a kit (i.e. saliva analysis, hair analysis) that do not require you to go through a doctor. 

#9 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

how reliable are they tolerant?

#10 tolerant

• Topic Starter
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

how reliable are they tolerant?

You mean the "alternative" tests? I don't know, I haven't tried any. I agree, their reliability is not established, that's why I called them "alternative" I guess.

Although I have to say, there's this "alternative" test for mineral status (exatest.com), which was suggested to me by Australia's foremost expert on magnesium and the nervous system. 

Edited by tolerant, 17 July 2014 - 03:14 AM.

#11 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Finding a good magnesium supplement and trying it would be a good idea.  Try several, one after the other.  If they make you feel better, then you know.  

• Agree x 1

#12 tolerant

• Topic Starter
  • 470 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'll rephrase my question: does anybody know of a really friendly doctor in Melbourne who is open-minded and would just order any blood test you request?

#13 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

I don't, but I have read critiques of some tests for levels of vitamins and minerals in our bloodstreams, saying that the results may not be accurate for all of them.  

#14 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Tolerant, look up 'YourHealth' in Brighton VIC.  They will almost certainly help you in the manner you seek.

Note, also, that a big clue as to your Mg status is if you are getting leg cramps at night.  Also nervousness, noise sensitivity and even heart rhythm issues.  You can informally test this yourself by trying 300mg of a quality Mg supplement (which means not the cheap and largely useless 'oxide' form); if your symptoms abate within a couple of days, you were likely deficient.

Edited by Finley, 18 August 2014 - 07:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users