- - - - -

Vinpocetine effects..

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:03 PM

I've been taking it just under a week now and I've been going from a daily dosage of 10mg or 15mg spread out throughout the day to see which works best ( each in 5mg doses)

I notice being more alert and able to concentrate when studying but this wears off after around 3 hours + I have been thinking about spreading 20-30 mg throughout the day... the only problem is the shipping and the cost will get quite expensive. I bought Vinpocetine from QHI.co.uk and it cost £8.38 just for 50x 5mg tablets! Is this expensive comparable to other suppliers?

Im trying to figure out what would be the best dose for me ( 20 year old ) . Would i require less or more for vinpocetine to work since I may have good blood supply to the brain anyway..?

Side effects:

Mild stomach upset later on in the day but green tea seems to help it...

I have been getting sudden head pains but they go after a minute or so. Also something that feels like a tension headache throughout the day but sometimes when I move about fast I get a throbbing pain [mellow] and calms down quickly when I rest. I'm not sure if they are linked with me taking vinpocetine because i've been through periods of having headaches for weeks/months at a time in the past.

Getting extremely brief noise or ringing in the ear over the last few days while on vinpocetine.

Edited by Matt, 20 July 2005 - 05:42 PM.

#2 catdaddy

• 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hey Matt-

I don't know if you're looking for a combination product, but Bulk Nutrition sell a product called GHV that combines:

Ginkgo Biloba: 60 mg

Huperzine A: 500 mcg

Vinpocetine: 5 mg

That's each capsule, and a bottle of 90 is going for 4.99 right now. Might be worth a look-see.

http://www.1fast400....roducts_id=1579

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:14 PM

Thanks...

So I'm sure that someone here takes vinpocetine. Has anyone experienced headaches while taking it?

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:16 PM

I have experienced no bad side effects that I am aware of. The positive effects are mild but noticeable. I seem a little sharper (mentally speaking) and it puts me in a good mood.

#5 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

I bought Vinpocetine from QHI.co.uk and it cost £8.38 just for 50x 5mg tablets! Is this expensive comparable to other suppliers?

US suppliers are far cheaper and have higher doses....I've taken up to 40 mg (the dose used in healthy people) with no problems.

With the cerebral vasodilator vinpocetine, which is fat-soluble, it may be advantageous to take 1 dosing daily, rather than throughout the day. If taken many times a day you are causing surges of increased cerebral blood flow followed by several drops, which may be causing your side effects.

#6 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the info LifeMirage!

I might stop taking them for the rest of this week to see if headaches go away then I'll continue again and take 1 dose of 15mg each day and see how that goes...

#7 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hello Matt,

I'm a big proponent of vinpocetin. The only side-effect I've experienced was a dry mouth when I tried to build up the dosage too quickly.

For cheap, high-quality vinpocetin, go to IHERB.COM. The have great products for very low prices and their service is great. [thumb]

vinpocetin

from Life Enhancement, 120 x 10 mg caps for $10.25

from Source Naturals, 120 x 10 mg tabs for $10.15

from Jarrow, 100 x 5 mg caps for $11.00

#8 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Source Naturals looks good. Can they send to the U.K alright and would customs open the package ?

Back the the headache I have again. I'm still experiencing it and for some reason the headache gets WORSE if I move around. Just by going walking I suddenly get a throbbing pain in my head but then when I relax it goes quickly.

Could this be some sort of mild migraine symptom? caused by vinpocetine because of the change in blood flow in the brain? I'm clearly not experiencing a full blown mingrain as I hear its really paintful. But I've never had an headache before that hurts the more I move/walk/run etc..

#9 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:16 PM

"Can they send to the U.K alright and would customs open the package ? " (Matt)

Yes, they sure can and it usually arrives within 3 days, according to the testimonials of the UK customers. Iherb states:

"U.K. Customers: Please allow up to 5 days for the delivery of your order. "

Your headache sounds quite serious. I hope for you that it will disappear soon. Do you think that it is vinpocetin related?

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

I tried it and did not notice much. I may have been expecting something dramatic and I tend to discount the pacebo effect which we are all prone to. But, when I quit it did seem like I was more foggy than when on it. I just ordered some more which cost me about 6 cents per 10mg cap including shipping. I don't see how taking a days worth all in one dose would be better. A single large surge every day seems like it would be more apt to cause problems than several smaller surges. Just my opinion, I don't know either way.

#11 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:53 PM

Xanadu, taking a days dose all at once is going to help because vinpocetine is fat soluable. Life Mirage pointing this out at the start of this thread. Additionally, if it is fat soluable it needs to be taken with food. If vinpocetine is taken on an empty stomach you may only absorb as low as 7% of the total dosage taken via the GI tract but when given with food upto 60% of the total dose is absorbed (http://www.pdrhealth.../vin_0259.shtml)

Unique nutrition have always delivered very fast and cost for delivery is maximum $10 anywhere in the world. Steve at Unique Nutrition has always been more than helpful

he sells both Vincamine (by source naturals) and his own vinpocetine

Very cheap as well

Edited by zoolander, 21 July 2005 - 11:02 PM.

#12 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:08 PM

zoolander, I read the post by Life Mirage but do not see why one dose per day is going to be better than 2 or more smaller doses. You mention fat sulubility but I don't see how that explains it. If the person has headaches, that may be from the surge in V levels. Why would 1 large surge be better than several smaller ones?

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

There is a big difference between fat solubility and water solubility. We have storage points for fats in the body and therefore fats and fat soluable item can be stored within these fat storage points (called adipose tissue). Water soluble is somewhat different and water soluble substances tend to get shunted straight into their respective metabolic pathways without storage. the essentially is not storage point for water soluble substances and what is not use is flushed out via the kidneys. We could get technical and say that water is stored within cells and hence water soluble substances can get stored in cells......I would say tes and no. In the cell they still get used and depleted fairly quickly. Well at least most of the substances I know of do. In comparison to the fat soluble substances, they are stored within the fat and not really involved in any metabolic processes within the fat.

Additionally, fats slow down the digestive process and hence the digestion of the fat soluble substance because the fat soluble substance will be carted around with fat.

Of course you can take divided dosages if you wish. the more important thing to look at in regards to dosages is the half life of the substance used. In the case of vinpocetine, the elimination half-life is about 2-3 hours, which argues for your case of taking vinpocetine in divided dosages. Hence, take in divided dosages if you wish. I take mine with my breakfast (20mg vincamine) and with lunch (10mg vinpocetine).

[thumb]

#14 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:08 AM

My throbbing headache attacks still continues lol

So I looked into which headache describes mine the most and this is what I found

http://www.besttreat...tions/6334.html

The pain is on one side of your head (this is called unilateral pain)

Yes

The pain is a throbbing pain

Yes

The pain gets worse when you move

Yes

So I could possibly be having minor / moderate migrain

Do I wait for this to calm down and then resume Vinpocetine next week? Could it just be a coincidence that I'm getting these headaches now. I am not entirely sure but I believe that I was getting some small random headpains about 1 day before I started taking Vinpocetine.

I am totally confused at the moment whether Vinpocetine caused this by dilating the blood vessels and causing them to become inflammed or what....

remembering back now I can only recall one time that I've ever had this type of headache. Probably around 6 momths ago.

Also looking at some more information on Vinpocetine relating to migraines. I can only see information regarding Vinpocetine being used to treat migraine.

confused ;)

Edited by Matt, 22 July 2005 - 02:11 AM.

#15 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for the explanation, zoolander.

Matt, I heard the same things about dilated blood vessels thought to cause certain migrains. It could be that and it could be due to the vinpocetine. Or it could be due to a synergistic interaction with another substance you are taking or even with your food. Or it might have nothing to do with the v at all.

Headaches are not to be ignored, this much I do know. They are a warning sign your body is giving you. I don't mean to be alarming, it might just be muscle tension, but if so, what is the reason for the tension? I think many substances in foods are highly harmful to some people's health. I think things like msg, and aspartame are toxins. I don't want to get too far off topic but they sneak those things into our food at every opportunity. I myself have had very unpleasant interactions with those chemicals. I've heard they even put them on fresh vegetables though I haven't seen the proof of it.

#16 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:03 AM

Matt, its safe to assume that you use a computer and therefore you may be having problem with the small deep upper neck muscles.

Check this option out as well.

#17 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Some more problems:

Feeling sick
Dizzy spells
Throbbing /pulsating headache when my heart speeds up after walking/running (seems less worse than yesterday)
Feeling weak

edit:

Anyway, I spoke to doctor and he believes it could be some sort of virus. I guess that could be the case since I've know some people family/friends not feeling good lately with headaches, feeling sick etc..

I feel that all this could just be a coincidence. That I'm taking vinpocetine and I caught some sort of virus lol

Edited by Matt, 22 July 2005 - 04:49 PM.

#18 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:48 PM

Perhaps dropping it for now is a good idea.

#19 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

Im feeling alright now... Just left with a slight tension headache, which is getting better. ;)

#20 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:53 PM

Did you quit the vin? When you feel better, I'd suggest trying the vin again in a mild dose, maybe just 10mg a day. If no bad effects then go up to a full dose. If symptoms return then most likely in was the vin. No point giving up a good noot if it was just a coincidence with a virus.

#21 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

I will probably start again sometime towards the end of the week. If the symptoms gradually start up again and become worse every day then I'll know it was the vinpocetine.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a week or two when I resume taking vinpocetine.

#22 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:52 AM

You won't know it's the vinpocetine after only two trials. ;)

#23 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

I think he'll have a good idea if he experiences the symptoms when and only when taking it.

#24 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

I've started to take them again and no probs so far.

Something I've been keeping an eye on since I originally started vinpocetine is *dreaming* and the ability to remember several dreams every night. This hasn't ever happend before to me untill after taking vinpocetine. Everynight so far I can recall the dreams I'm having, extremely clearly and some of them even days after.

Could that be down to vinpocetine or not?

Edited by Matt, 28 July 2005 - 05:28 PM.

#25 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:30 PM

I just started back on vinpocetine after being away from it a while. I too noticed that I now remember my dreams upon waking though later in the day they had faded. Melatonin will do that for you too.

#26 nancy_axel

• 175 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:07 AM

All the websites are saying that Vinpocetine is supposed to have a very powerful effect on memory .. do you guys notice this at all?

#27 dertydave

• 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:16 AM

All the websites are saying that Vinpocetine is supposed to have a very powerful effect on memory .. do you guys notice this at all?

Defo feeling it having an effect. I'm more alert and it seems to potentiate any other nootropics that i am using however it has not been apparent that my memory has improved although i have not had anything obvious to test it with lately and i am pretty new to all this. I have read a few reports on this site over potential concerns of this product so it is not something i take everyday. My understanding is that Hup A and Galatamine are better for short term memory and Centrophenoxine for long terms memory. I have the Hup A and Centro and have ordered some Galatamine. I am aware of some concerns with Hup A on this site so i will only be using this for short periods of time. I have started using the Centro and feel it without question. I can read for hours when i am on it and before a workout i experience an increase in strength beyond placebo but on the downside it has always left me feeling like an android. On a number of occasions it has totally neutralized my a good mood dead in its tracks. I would not say it put me in a bad mood but i defo felt quite blunted. However this state at least in my regime defo has its uses so timing will be the key for me with this sup.

Dert

Edited by dertydave, 25 October 2008 - 04:21 AM.

#28 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:05 AM

Dr. Larry McCleary - author of the "The Brain Trust" refers to an anti-migraine cocktail in his book, that includes vinpocetine as one of the ingredients. He suggests taking these supplements together twice a day:

400 mg magnesium
1 gram taurine
100 mg coenzyme Q10
100 micrograms huperzine A
10 milligrams vinpocetine

I have not tried this specific cocktail myself, but I thought that I would pass this information along nevertheless.

I used to suffer from migraines a great deal, but nootropics have actually help to reduce the number and intensity of the attacks. I include most of these ingredients in my daily stack, but not necessarily at the same levels listed in the cocktail above. For example, sometimes I will take a little bit more magnesium, while mostly excluding the huperzine A. I take the vinpocetine on an haphazard basis, and usually consume a bit more coenzyme Q and taurine.

LD

I will probably start again sometime towards the end of the week. If the symptoms gradually start up again and become worse every day then I'll know it was the vinpocetine.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a week or two when I resume taking vinpocetine.

#29 hellothere

• 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

I will probably start again sometime towards the end of the week

please dont take it!! read this

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=23457

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

this thread was almost a year old...

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users