• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Chemicals/Ingredients in dental hygiene products?

flouride teeth dental health

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chrystoph Kardashev

• 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

After much lurking I felt it's time to alter my dental regiment as well as look more closely at exactly what the products i'm utilising to that end contain. I'll be honest, flossing and mouthwash rinsing are sadly a very recent ritual of mine so I'm here asking, barring frequency of use, what specific types of floss and mouthwash should I go for? I readily avoid flouride and alcohol but apart from that the ingredients list might as well be in chinese.

As for brushing I recently switched to my first electric toothbrush and good god what a difference it made. Currently using an Oral-B vitality with the "pro white" brush head; an entry-level brush but like I said, after switching from manual it kicked ass. There was only one toothpaste I could find locally that labeled itself flouride free; it hops on the Aloe Vera bandwagon by making the cactus it's primary selling feature for "soothing gums" but it's flouride and SLS free so that seems good. Its listed selling points also include tea tree oil, silica, Co Q10 and Menthol. Attached is the ingredient list, does it look good?

Attached Files

#2 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Electric toothbrush always charged and of high quality. Learn to use it and the floss with discoloration pills.

Things to avoid in toothpaste: SLS and other antibacterial agents. Foaming chemicals and plastic beads.

I doubt fluoride is all that bad if you spit carefully after the brushing.

If you are going to stay away from fluoride keep a sparse meal frequency and floss several times every day.

Get the flossers that have plastic grippers. No need to throw them away after one use.

If you have broad spaces between teeth consider buying interdental brushes rather than floss.

#3 Chrystoph Kardashev

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

What are discoloration pills and what do they do?

My current toothpaste uses tea tree oil as antiseptic and SLSarcosinate as the foaming agent (presumably).

Is such constant flossing necessary in the absence of flouride?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

If you don't use fluoride, you'd better floss more, not less.  I can't think of a better way to get the fluoride your teeth need than in a topical product like toothpaste.  The amount of fluoride that you will absorb systemically from brushing with a fluoride toothpaste (assuming you rinse) is probably less than the fluoride in one sip of tea. 

#5 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

What are discoloration pills and what do they do?

My current toothpaste uses tea tree oil as antiseptic and SLSarcosinate as the foaming agent (presumably).

Discoloartion pills bind to plaque and show it to you via color. Harmless stuff.

You need to floss. Most caries lesions occur between the teeth. Most periodontal lesions start in the gum between teeth.

drdyqe.jpg

#6 Chrystoph Kardashev

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info, I went and brought another tube of toothpaste; the only one without SLS I could find and it's mainly intended for "dental hypersensitivity" and "painful toothbrushing". I'm limited at the local level. Ingredients attached.

Since my floss is flouride waxed should I use the non-flouride toothpaste when I floss? don't feel like throwing it out :wacko:

z22ZhGi.jpg

Edited by Chrystoph Kardashev, 20 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hmm.  That one is loaded up with parabens, not to mention five grams of KNO3 and a third of a gram(!!) of sodium fluoride.   TBH, I'm not sure what the idea behind avoiding SLS is.  It's just a detergent.  Is it supposed to kill beneficial microbes?  It might kill enveloped viri, but you don't want those around...   Anyway, you could go with good ol' Tom's of Maine, the standby of hippies and granola-heads throughout this great land.  How about this one?  It's SLS free, assuming that's important.  Also lacks all that other nastiness.

#8 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Thinking back I'm unsure if SLS is all that bad. A lot of people think it stings and some people get or think their aphtous stomatitis is aggravated from it so I'm not fond of it. Zendium has a mild toothpaste with a different foamingagent. I use Zendium.

Edited by Cosmicalstorm, 20 October 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Chrystoph Kardashev

• Topic Starter
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yeah it's mostly all the negative attention that keeps me away from it; my brain's too foggy to try and figure out this shit on my own. Anyway, offered to give my mum the new toothpaste as she suffers from some form of hypersensitivity and poisonous chemicals aren't really a concern for her. I'll give the tom's of maine a try, thanks Niner!

#10 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:17 AM

Glycerin is either a demineralizing agent or an anti-remineralizing agent. 1 2 Sodium fluoride is 10-20% better than sodium MFP. 1 2 I settled on Colgate Kids: it has sodium fluoride, no bad ingredients (It does have SLS but does not foam so there probably isn't much.), and abrasiveness is a nice 50-70 RDA. The only downside is the bubble gum taste that clashes with my ACT rinse.

#11 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2021 - 03:35 PM

yes stay away from deodorant etc only use natural fully products like coconut oil on skin. etc. Also ive found that negative thinking stress but also not enough can cause bad smell.But not not wisedom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flouride, teeth, dental health

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users