Smart drinks and teeth

teeth dental enamel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

Hi I have noticed that certain powders feel very caustic to enamel (I have tried most of them sublingually). One example is NAC. Though I am neither a chemist or a dentist I can't see it being too reactive as it is not a salt. Another powder that feels very acidic would be ALCAR. Once again, not a salt so I fail to see how it would actually be acidic?

I regularly mix all of my powders in a sugar free juice (Kirkland Vitarain) several times a day and down the solution. A few minutes ago I tried adding sodium bicarbonate. Subjectively, it tasted awful but my teeth felt normal afterwards.

The average juice contains up to all of these:

noopept

NSI-189

fucoxanthin

caffeine

theanine

ALCAR

ALA

NAC

uridine monophosphate

creatine monohydrate

taurine

Could sodium bicarbonate react with these in solution? Are any of these powders even bad for teeth in the first place, and if so will adding NaHCO3 help?

Edited by Fenix_, 11 January 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

I doubt very much that any of that stuff is damaging the enamel on your teeth. So long as we keep our teeth clean with regular brushing and avoid foods with white sugar in them, our saliva should take care of the pH in our mouth, in my opinion. Perhaps your teeth feel tacky because some of these powders are a little bitter-tasting. But it should be nothing to worry about. Just rinse with water afterwards, if you are bothered..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

A lot of things can damage the teeth either via low pH which demineralizes the tooth or by feeding the wrong microorganisms that live in the enamels who then produce acids that corrupt the enamel.

What is important to keep in mind is that the dental care has already come a very long way towards escape velocity so you dont need to worry. If one tooth breaks you can get a crown or a filling. If you destroy all teeth you can replace them with implants. If you blast your entire mandible of you can get one 3-d printed out of titanium and repair it.

One could only wish that the rest of the body could be replaced and taken care of like the teeth can.

Edited by Cosmicalstorm, 14 January 2015 - 09:25 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: teeth, dental, enamel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users