Belsomra Sleep Aid Review: The latest sleep aid

insomnia belsomra lunesta ambien

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 i_am

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:07 AM

Had insomnia for the last 10 years. Tried it all. Recently used 10mg and 15mg Belsomra and not impressed. Mild effect however the side effects are also mild, so this might work for someone with a mild case of insomnia. Definitely not as powerful as Lunesta, Ambien, Remeron, Benzos, Remeron etc.  Pretty weak, both in terms of putting you to sleep and keeping you asleep. Very disappointed to see so little progress in the pharmaceutical industry when it comes to sleep aids. IMO, the best sleep aid would be a variant of Remeron with a significantly shorter half life, not sure if we'll ever see that.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#2 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

Phenibut works great—about four times. The first few times you take it, you will experience eight to ten hours of the deepest, most naturally feeling, and most restorative sleep you've ever experienced in your life. Then you might as well flush the rest down the toilet. Etizolam is fantastic though, as long as you don't overdo it. Two milligrams twice a week max is reasonable. Even if you do wind up plunging down the rabbit hole, tolerance and addiction take quite a while to manifest. And the withdrawal isn't that bad. Subjectively, it feels just like benzo withdrawal, but is only about one-third as strong, and only lasts about one-third as long.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Tyrone Biggums

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

So far I love Suvorexant/Belsomra.

I will include my experience here.

10mg Suvorexant. Somewhat sedating.

15mg Suvorexant. Sedative enough to make me sleep on easier nights.

20mg Suvorexant. Puts me to sleep.

I like 20mg the best, it takes about 30min to 1hr for the effect to become noticeable. Taking a melotonergic substance also improves ability to sleep when combined with Suvorexant.

For me Suvorexant works rather well and has minimal side effects the next day only at 20mg dose (sometimes wake up groggy for 45min). This side effect for me feels more like difficulty concentrating rather than feeling sleepy.

Everyone is different. Sorry that Suvorexant did not work so well for you, but it works very well for me. To me the strength is equal to that of Zaleplon without the effect of it not working when taken night after night. I've been on Suvorexant since it became available and have not had a night where I could not get to sleep yet, only some occassional waking up too early for 2 nights only.

This is a good drug in my opinion. Everyone reacts to the same drug a bit differently. My best results comes from combining 20mg suvorexant 1hr before bed, then taking a melatonin-like substance right before bed. On the night when I didn't take melatonin substance but instead only took 20mg suvorexant I still had no issues going to or remaining asleep.

My insomnia before taking any medication was moderately severe. Sleep before 12midnight was impossible, whereas I've gone to sleep BEFORE midnight EVERY night since obtaining suvorexant. My insomnia would range from 'sometimes' to frequently preventinng sleep for entire nights at a time. Main difficulty was achieving sleep and achieving a remotely normal sleep pattern.

The current combination of suvorexant + melatonin sub of choice has fixed this problem for me - for the most part completely. But it has only been a few weeks now. I do not know if it will continue months or years into the future but so far am optimistic. I may have to find a way to take 20mg with less concentration issues the following day but so far I feel more awake during the day because of Suvorexant than I did without it. For me the side effects are minimal, other than some difficulty with focus at 20mg dose the next day.

I probably won't post much here again other than to submit/edit this single comment. I didn't expect it to work as well as it does. I guess it can't perform for 100% of the people, but then no drug does. I guess I am one of the lucky ones when it comes to suvorexant. I am glad suvorexant is available.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 15 February 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#4 i_am

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:02 PM

Well, I suppose I have insomnia of greater severity. Zaleplon is pretty much worthless for me. As I said, this could be a solution for some one with a mild case of insomnia. It's certainly nowhere near as powerful as ambien, lunesta, seroquel, remeron or benzos. I'm glad it works for you. 

#5 Tyrone Biggums

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Before you give up on it, have you tried 20mg, and if so, maybe ask your doc about trying 30mg even 40mg.. I wouldnt just go pop that amount on your own, but your doc ( if he's not one of the 99% lazy / just too busy to know MDs ) may be able to know if this is possible. I've read the literature and have seen that rather high doses were used at times. Not that I think its a good idea, I dont know as am not qualified to say the FDA could be wrong. But your doctor may be qualified to say whether jumping to 20-30mg is a good idea or not. The FDA didnt like that higher doses you see more of the odd sfx like sleep eating and hallucinating driving cars asleep raping grandma and her poodle or whatever the FDA claims these sorts of drugs supposedly can induce, I think people are just blaming their insane behavior on what is otherwise safe drugs as a scapegoat alibi, although I have had bad drug reactions before, so yea such things could be possible... luckily ive never experienced doing stuff while asleep.

Since it works for me far better at higher doses than at lower doses. 15mg is my threshold it seems, but isnt terribly strong. 20mg is very noticeable and definitely causes sleepiness about 1hr later to the point that if i am doing something it forces me to stop and lie down due to the sleepiness. definite plus to set your alarm to take a pill that pretty much forces u to sleep

Sorry its not working out for you.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#6 serp777

• 622 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

The pharmaceutical industry hasn't made much progress because the brain isn't understood well. All of the drugs produced have basically been introduced through trial and error. They didn't make zoloft at first to try and help with depression. It was synthesized for other reasons and then adapted. The problem is more complicated than you think so I don't really think pharmaceutical research is the problem. Also there may be no good drug solution for insomnia--it might be crappy genetics or a problem with epigenetics than makes you inherently predisposed to poor sleep. It might require a retrovirus and gene therapy to fix the issue realistically.

#7 Tyrone Biggums

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

The pharmaceutical industry hasn't made much progress because the brain isn't understood well. All of the drugs produced have basically been introduced through trial and error. They didn't make zoloft at first to try and help with depression. It was synthesized for other reasons and then adapted. The problem is more complicated than you think so I don't really think pharmaceutical research is the problem. Also there may be no good drug solution for insomnia--it might be crappy genetics or a problem with epigenetics than makes you inherently predisposed to poor sleep. It might require a retrovirus and gene therapy to fix the issue realistically.

This may be all be true, but the pharmaceutical industry still has made a substance that works for me (and others), for now at least. Last night was a close call, as I was almost unable to sleep before 12midnight while on 20mg, and the effect wasn't quite as strong as the previous day. I guess some nights my brain must be producing more orexin activity than other nights. Took it at 830pm and waited around until I could notice some sort of sleepy feeling to take my second med. It took until 1130 to start feeling the effect this time where before it would usually be within the hour. THis makes sense as my troubles sleeping would often be far worse on some nights than on others.

As for the pharmaceutical industry. Thankfully they dont sit around waiting to fully understand the brain before producing potentially helpful solutions. If I try 10 drugs and only 1 works for me I still consider that a success, as it beats having nothing that helps. Every time. Waiting around until perfect knowledge is achieved.. so glad the pharmaceutical industry has decided not to do it that way. They work with what they have and still achieve results. They dont have to be perfect or work for everyone 100% of the time. The fact that any of the compounds they produce work at all still amazes me. Think about it, a chemical from scratch that has never existed before in known nature that targets specific sites in the body even after being metabolized / digested in the gut. Nothing in nature comes close except for maybe the toxins that nature produces for self defense.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 16 February 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#8 pro-v

• 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

This may be all be true, but the pharmaceutical industry still has made a substance that works for me (and others), for now at least. Last night was a close call, as I was almost unable to sleep before 12midnight while on 20mg, and the effect wasn't quite as strong as the previous day. I guess some nights my brain must be producing more orexin activity than other nights. Took it at 830pm and waited around until I could notice some sort of sleepy feeling to take my second med. It took until 1130 to start feeling the effect this time where before it would usually be within the hour. THis makes sense as my troubles sleeping would often be far worse on some nights than on others.

As for the pharmaceutical industry. Thankfully they dont sit around waiting to fully understand the brain before producing potentially helpful solutions. If I try 10 drugs and only 1 works for me I still consider that a success, as it beats having nothing that helps. Every time. Waiting around until perfect knowledge is achieved.. so glad the pharmaceutical industry has decided not to do it that way. They work with what they have and still achieve results. They dont have to be perfect or work for everyone 100% of the time. The fact that any of the compounds they produce work at all still amazes me. Think about it, a chemical from scratch that has never existed before in known nature that targets specific sites in the body even after being metabolized / digested in the gut. Nothing in nature comes close except for maybe the toxins that nature produces for self defense.

Excellent point.

PS: Do you by any chance smoke rock?

#9 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

Wondering when we will see this in Canada. Definitely want to try it.

#10 Tyrone Biggums

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Excellent point.

PS: Do you by any chance smoke rock?

Only to get rid of next day hangover from suvorexant.

• Cheerful x 1

#11 Tyrone Biggums

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

wth is with these stupid icons

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Wondering when we will see this in Canada. Definitely want to try it.

\\

\i can get it, 20 grams for 5900,   anyone is interested in group buy get at me NOW.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users