Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:21 AM

Currently my DIY mouthwash is:
1/4 tsp Calcium Lactate
1 tsp Xylitol
1 tsp allantoin
1/4 tsp sea salt

I always thought arginine might be bad for the teeth, but perhaps not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23713641

The effect of a new calcium-based agent, Pro-Argin, on the microhardness of bleached enamel surface.
Yesilyurt C1, Sezer U, Ayar MK, Alp CK, Tasdemir T.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
This study investigated the effects of Pro-Argin application on the microhardness of bleached enamel and compared them with those of acidulated phosphate fluoride (APF) and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) applications.
METHODS:
Forty blocks (4 × 4 × 4 mm) were prepared from the facial surfaces of 10 sound bovine incisors. The enamel surfaces were bleached with 35% hydrogen peroxide three times at 5-day intervals. The specimens were divided into five treatment regimen groups (n = 8 each): Group 1, bleaching/no surface treatment (control); Group 2, bleaching/Pro-Argin toothpaste treatment; Group 3, bleaching/Pro-Argin treatment; Group 4, bleaching/APF treatment; and Group 5, bleaching/CPP-ACP treatment. During bleaching treatments, specimens were stored in artificial saliva. Vickers microhardness measurements were performed at baseline and after treatment in all groups. Statistical analyses were performed using the paired t-test, one-way analysis of variance, and post hoc least significant difference tests.
RESULTS:
After bleaching, hardness values of enamel surfaces increased significantly in the treatment groups versus the control group (p < 0.05). However, no significant difference was found among treatment groups (p > 0.05).
CONCLUSIONS:
Through bleaching treatment, Pro-Argin application may have a positive effect on enamel surface hardness, equivalent to that of CPP-ACP or APF.

http://www.colgatepr...-Action/article
  • Informative x 1

#2 maggie67

• 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

http://scienceblog.c...TtiYvpS6DFiX.97

#3 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

MMS anyone?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

Pro-Argin is calcium carbonate and arginine.

Arginine can be purchased in bulk powder form while best source of calcium carbonate (97%) are powdered eggshells.

Make your own and get a better and cheaper product.

It needs to be brushed on teeth surface therefore add it to your toothpaste (8%) or make your own toothpaste with it for daily use,

It will probably not work very efficiently if added to a mouthwash if teeth sensitivity and/or enamel strengthening are the goals.

Arginine by itself will work as a mouthwash too if inhibiting plaque formation is the goal (in conjunction with xylitol should be a real plaque killer, add oxygen peroxide and your dentist will go unemployed). 

Part of my oral hygiene protocol since quite a long time (with my dentist desperation).:)

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#5 wanderlust

• 92 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Pro-Argin is calcium carbonate and arginine.

Arginine can be purchased in bulk powder form while best source of calcium carbonate (97%) are powdered eggshells.

Make your own and get a better and cheaper product.

It needs to be brushed on teeth surface therefore add it to your toothpaste (8%) or make your own toothpaste with it for daily use,

It will probably not work very efficiently if added to a mouthwash if teeth sensitivity and/or enamel strengthening are the goals.

Arginine by itself will work as a mouthwash too if inhibiting plaque formation is the goal (in conjunction with xylitol should be a real plaque killer, add oxygen peroxide and your dentist will go unemployed). 

Part of my oral hygiene protocol since quite a long time (with my dentist desperation). :)

What is oxygen peroxide when  its at home ?

and what amouts of these chemicals do you use

#6 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

I am sorry, a translation mistake. that is hydrogen peroxide (in my language is oxygen water since it is H2O2 and sometimes I mix it up).

Hydrogen peroxide 3%, if food grade is even better but it has to be kept in the fridge.

A great toothpaste is done as follow:

- hydrogen peroxide 3%

- peppermint essential oil (food grade, that is steam extracted, not solvent) as much as you like

- cinnamon essential oil (food grade, as above) not too much since it is not very pleasant and numbing

- arginine 4%

- powdered eggs shells 4% (or same amount of calcium carbonate)

- xantan gum about 1%, it turns the hydrogen peroxide into a gel (you may have to wait for a few hours)

Pour all the above directly into a gel dispenser, shake and you are done with the best toothpaste ever guarantee.

I prefer xylitol in mouthwashes only since it is kind of abrasive and brushing it might lead to teeth enamel damage.

A mouthwash can be done as the toothpaste above omitting the xantan gum in order to keep it in liquid form (and adding the xylitol).

Be aware that in a gel form the essential oils taste less strong (about half as strong) then in liquid form, therefore if the same amount of mouthwash is OK with 10 drops the toothpaste requires maybe 20 drops to be of the same strength (I mean taste wise, of course).

#7 wanderlust

• 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Well my first attempt at making toothpaste has been interesting I have made something like cold mint flavoured snot  .

I have not yet added the cinnamon or the eggshells to the mix .

it seems to foam in my mouth with is a nice effect .

i will use it for a week to see how it goes

#8 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

It foams because the hydrogen peroxide reacts with catalase, it is perfectly normal.

Playing a bit with percentages of xantan and essential oils you can easily achieve a consistency and flavor just like commercial toothpaste or better, the efficacy will be without comparison anyway.  

You'll notice:

- less plaque formation if any

- gums issues solved (red, inflamed, pockets, recedings, abscesses)

- whitening effect

- cavities formation solved

- heavy breath issues solved

- no need for long time brushing, gentle 30 seconds is plenty (less damage to enamel)

- the toothbrush will not be anymore the filthiest thing in the bathroom

#9 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

unfortunately, fluoride is only effective at very high levels. but it really does not absorb well sublingually or through the mucous membranes. you can find food-grade fluoride through google shopping. perhaps the positive result in the second study is owing to the inclusion of silica? i didn't pull a meta-analysis study, sorry, but i don't see the harm in adding fluoride. the theobromine in rennou's theodent may not be the active constituent, and a whole cocoa extract may make a fine addition to the mouthwash's base.

Effect of a casein/calcium phosphate-containing tooth cream and fluoride on enamel erosion in vitro.
Lennon AM1, Pfeffer M, Buchalla W, Becker K, Lennon S, Attin T. (2006)

The aim of this study was to determine whether a tooth cream containing casein/calcium phosphate (CasCP) protects enamel against erosion. Sixty bovine enamel specimens were prepared for profilometry and distributed into five groups. Specimens were rinsed with artificial saliva interrupted by 1% citric acid (pH 2.3) for 30 s 6 times daily for 14 days. Group 1 (n=12) was not treated (control); in group 2 (n=12) CasCP was applied for 120 s twice daily; in group 3 (n=12) 250 ppm fluoride as NaF was applied for 120 s twice daily; in group 4 (n=12) CasCP was applied for 120 s, then 250 ppm fluoride for 120 s twice daily, and in group 5 (n=12) amine fluoride (AmF) gel (12,500 ppm fluoride) was applied for 120 s twice daily. Differences between groups with respect to erosive enamel loss (profilometrically determined depth after 7 and 14 days) were tested by the Mann-Whitney test (alpha=0.05). After 7/14 days' erosive cycling, specimens treated with AmF gel showed significantly less enamel loss (18.5/35.5 microm; medians) than those treated with CasCP (25.5/46.9 microm), 250 ppm fluoride (25.0/ 40.9 microm), CasCP and 250 ppm fluoride (23.9/47.4 microm) or with no treatment (26.3/49.8 microm). It is concluded that highly fluoridated acidic AmF gel can protect enamel against erosion while CasCP, 250 ppm fluoride or a combination of CasCP and 250 ppm fluoride provide little protection.

Remineralization Effect of Topical NovaMin Versus Sodium Fluoride (1.1%) on Caries-Like Lesions in Permanent Teeth
M. Vahid Golpayegani,1 A. Sohrabi,2 M. Biria,1,3 and G. Ansari1 (2012)
Objective:
NovaMin, a synthetic mineral composed of calcium, sodium, phosphorous and silica releases deposits of crystalline hydroxyl-carbonate apatite (HCA) structurally similar to tooth mineral composition. The aim of this investigation was to compare the potential remineralization effect of topical NovaMin and Sodium Fluoride gel on caries like lesions in permanent teeth.
Materials and Methods:
A total of 60 sound human freshly extracted teeth were subjected to a pH-cycling protocol. Specimens were randomly assigned to one of the two treatment groups with NovaMin contained dentifrice applied to group 1, while group 2 received a dentifrice containing 1.1% neutral Sodium Fluoride. Pastes were applied five times after the samples received a demineralization from an earlier cariogenic challenge. Specimens were then evaluated by a Surface Micro Hardness test (SMH, 25G, 5s). Post-treatment SMH measurements were conducted and Mann Whitney test was employed for statistical analysis.
Results:
Mean post lesion SMH values were 221.99±26.27 and 224.50±28.64 for the first and second groups, respectively. Post treatment SMH values were 232.52±24.34 for NovaMin and 232.03 ±24.46 for the fluoride group. Two way ANOVA test showed a highly significant difference between the two different treatment protocols (p<0.001).
Conclusion:
NovaMin dentifrice appears to have a greater effect on remineralization of carious-like lesions when compared to that of fluoride containing dentifrice in permanent teeth

Edited by gamesguru, 10 June 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#10 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

For some unknown to me reason adding powdered eggs shells and arginine 50/50 in a percentage of 8% to hydrogen peroxide 3% plus 1% xantan and essential oils leads to uncontrolled and annoying mild but steady bubbling/expanding of the obtained toothpaste with consequent overflow. 

At this stage a better strategy is to add the eggs shell powder/arginine directly on the toothbrush and toothpaste.

• Informative x 1

#11 wanderlust

• 92 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

yes i have noticed this myself

my L-arginine came with aakg mixed with it

i attempted to make the toothpaste with it anyway it  & made a minty snot-like substance that managed to expand so much in one day  that it forced its way out of a sealed Kilner jar.

my second attemp the toothpaste missed out the L-arginine and aakg . this is much more stable and less snot like
in texture . its started showing signs of bubbling after about 4 days its still doing so at a very slow rate . if i mix a weeks worth at a time its great, stuff .

#12 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

Yes, it has to be the arginine since without it I never experienced any bubbling/expanding...It works well anyway but it is annoying since it blows open any sealed container spreading a bit of a mess around.

#13 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

Here's a new study stating 2% arginine being more effective than 4% & 8% in a fluoride toothpaste: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/29935996

CONCLUSION: Incorporation of 2% arginine in NaF toothpaste significantly increased the remineralization of enamel caries-like lesion when compared to NaF toothpaste; while 4% and 8% arginine in NaF toothpastes were ineffective in improving enamel remineralization.

→ source (external link)

• Informative x 1

#14 onemanatatime

• 41 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

I am sorry, a translation mistake. that is hydrogen peroxide (in my language is oxygen water since it is H2O2 and sometimes I mix it up).

Hydrogen peroxide 3%, if food grade is even better but it has to be kept in the fridge.

A great toothpaste is done as follow:

- hydrogen peroxide 3%

- peppermint essential oil (food grade, that is steam extracted, not solvent) as much as you like

- cinnamon essential oil (food grade, as above) not too much since it is not very pleasant and numbing

- arginine 4%

- powdered eggs shells 4% (or same amount of calcium carbonate)

- xantan gum about 1%, it turns the hydrogen peroxide into a gel (you may have to wait for a few hours)

Pour all the above directly into a gel dispenser, shake and you are done with the best toothpaste ever guarantee.

I prefer xylitol in mouthwashes only since it is kind of abrasive and brushing it might lead to teeth enamel damage.

A mouthwash can be done as the toothpaste above omitting the xantan gum in order to keep it in liquid form (and adding the xylitol).

Be aware that in a gel form the essential oils taste less strong (about half as strong) then in liquid form, therefore if the same amount of mouthwash is OK with 10 drops the toothpaste requires maybe 20 drops to be of the same strength (I mean taste wise, of course).

Do you still use this mix as a toothpaste today? still all good, all your teeth are in - lol. long time no see btw.

I was wondering how the exact mix would look like in dosages of say how much 3% HP solution in ML , how much powder etc- say for a total of 100ml. And the HP wont damage the enamel? as its quite corrosive i would imagine that it could.

Annyways i would appreciate it highly if you could spell out dosages in a trailer park to follow guide / manner. with exact dosages for a batch

#15 onemanatatime

• 41 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:33 PM

by trailer park manner i meant a dummy guide or specific amounts - does not need to be 100ml whatever dosage you usually make.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arginine, enamel, teeth, mouthwash, diy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users