• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Allopregnanolone: The "hangover clarity" effect explained?

alcohol hangover allopregnanolone neurosteroids zach galifianakis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

In my search for methods to increase the activity of 5 α reductase, I came across the following little tidbit: alcohol intoxication increases allopregnanolone (this has "common knowledge" status and is referred to in a number of places, but that was the only real study I could find quickly).

There are a number of threads describing cognitive benefits of hangovers, but none of them propose this mechanism. However, allopregnanolone has potent neuroprotective and neuroregenerative effects, and IMO makes a more plausible mechanism for explaining these magical hangovers than GABA agonism and other hypotheses thrown about.

Anyway, there are a lot of ardent teetotalers around here, ranting about how dangerously neurotoxic booze is, so I thought I'd throw a metaphorical drink in their faces. Na zdrowie.
  • like x 2

#2 JellyRev

• 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

I have those special hangovers, and have been searching how to induce the effect which I have come to believe how normal ppl feel. I don't think it was gaba. I've been thinking it was either histamine or glutamate receptors. Thanks for the info. I have pregnanolone but I guess I'll have to try allopregnanolone.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

I have those special hangovers, and have been searching how to induce the effect which I have come to believe how normal ppl feel. I don't think it was gaba. I've been thinking it was either histamine or glutamate receptors. Thanks for the info. I have pregnanolone but I guess I'll have to try allopregnanolone.

No, I don't think you will, $150 for 10mg allopregnenolone.

Now and then I have those special hangovers too and have always wondered what the cause was, sometimes I even notice I'm way less psychotic/agitated. Allopregnenolone has been researched for schizophrenia and it has proven to be a quite effective treatment so you might be on to something with your hypothesis.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 19 February 2015 - 12:29 AM.

#4 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

zach galifianakis tag..  :laugh:

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 JellyRev

• 71 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

$150 for 10mgs might not be bad if the effective dose is 10mcg lol. 

It looks like allogpreg has a pretty short half life with precursors being the suggested route, at least from what I've glanced at so far. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol, hangover, allopregnanolone, neurosteroids, zach galifianakis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users