• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

WIP - Life Extension 101 Introduction video

wip video

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Sanhar

• 171 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi all.  As some of you may know I've been working on a series of life extension videos for the "everyman".  They're designed to be useful to someone who doesn't know a thing about life extension in order to help us with outreach efforts.  After all we need to try to reach the public in general in order to get popular opinion more on our side - this has an impact on social and later on governmental policies.

My first video is not yet complete (it's about 60% done) but I wanted to release a work in progress so that I can get some feedback on it.  Fortunately edits are generally fairly easy for me to do so please make what suggestions you would like to.  Thanks!

PLEASE NOTE the video currently ends at 3:11 or so.  The rest is blank space, some portion of which will be filled shortly.

Edited by Sanhar, 21 February 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#2 YOLF

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:25 AM

Looks good, will the audio be a bit louder in the final version?

#3 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:27 AM

It can be.  How much louder would you suggest?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 YOLF

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:31 AM

Actually, I think it's my headphones, sounds fine when I unplug them.

#5 Frank Rummel

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

Hi

I have a use for your video...

Is it Creative Commons? When will you release it?

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel
Owner of: goo.gl/z0QTWL
Twitter: twitter.com/thetranshuman

#6 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hi

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel

I hope to have this one ready within the week.  I should note:

1.  The non-text portion of the images are being used under 17 U.S.C. § 107 (Fair Use of Copyright).  Thus it should be noted that if this (and pursuant) videos are not used for nonprofit, educational purposes that Fair Use may not apply.

2.  The audio-vocal track and the text-based slides I am allowing free use of... it's my hope that it will be seen by many people. 

3.  The music clip at the start and what will be at the end, that's my own recording and I do hold copyright to that but the clips as used here may be freely utilized as long as it's a part of this work. 

Any other questions regarding this? :)

p.s. what are you looking to use this for?  I am curious!

Edited by Sanhar, 22 February 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#7 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

Hi

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel

Hi

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel

Also, to actually answer your question, this and the subsequent videos in their series are being released under the basic attribution Creative Commons license.

Edited by Sanhar, 22 February 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Very good for the "general" public. It would be good even if it was released as is, right now.

The one thing I might change is the graphic that explains SENS. Right now there is just a picture of a fountain (fountain of youth allegory, perhaps). Maybe there could be a cartoon/animated image of an old/decrepit cell vs. a new energetic/youthful cell.

#9 Frank Rummel

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sanhar

Thanks for your prompt response...

My interest is to use this video as part of my invitation to Google+ users to join the Anti-Aging Medicine, Science & Engineering Community - goo.gl/z0QTWL - where we post about Aubrey de Grey and recent developments in regenerative medicine, gene therapy, tissue engineering, genomics etc. I invite the general public mostly who may not be up to speed on modern life extension. I was going to create a video myself, but that seems like reinventing the wheel when your video is designed for newbees. I look forward to incorporating it into the community recruitment activities. Basically, all I need to do is edit in at the current conclusion an invitation to join my community to end aging ASAP. It would seem that all this is in line with the objective of bringing more people into the life extension movement.

What are your thoughts, caveats etc.?

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel

#10 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:10 PM

Very good for the "general" public. It would be good even if it was released as is, right now.

The one thing I might change is the graphic that explains SENS. Right now there is just a picture of a fountain (fountain of youth allegory, perhaps). Maybe there could be a cartoon/animated image of an old/decrepit cell vs. a new energetic/youthful cell.

I'll see about that kind of graphic.  I should be able to put something together.  Thanks!

p.s. the remainder of the video will be answering common issues people have with LE.

Sanhar

Thanks for your prompt response...

My interest is to use this video as part of my invitation to Google+ users to join the Anti-Aging Medicine, Science & Engineering Community - goo.gl/z0QTWL - where we post about Aubrey de Grey and recent developments in regenerative medicine, gene therapy, tissue engineering, genomics etc. I invite the general public mostly who may not be up to speed on modern life extension. I was going to create a video myself, but that seems like reinventing the wheel when your video is designed for newbees. I look forward to incorporating it into the community recruitment activities. Basically, all I need to do is edit in at the current conclusion an invitation to join my community to end aging ASAP. It would seem that all this is in line with the objective of bringing more people into the life extension movement.

What are your thoughts, caveats etc.?

Frank Rummel

tsu.co/thetranshuman
google.com/+frankrummel

That sounds fine.  As I noted just now above, the remainder of the video will be answering common issues people have with LE.  You could say that this video is mostly aimed at getting the average person acclimated to our movement.  Subsequent videos will be more in depth on the actual work the LE community is doing.

p.s. I'm now reading your google+ group, very good, I have a collection of news sources and this is a fine addition.

Edited by Sanhar, 22 February 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#11 Frank Rummel

• 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi

I have no problem with a superficial referral to SENS. The very interpolation of this well-thought-out acronym into any conversation is enough to horrify the common man. Keep SENS as a friendly term that benefits everyone's lives and that of their families too. If an individual should risk the travails and seek to explore SENS in more detail, so be it, but let us not expect a novice to understand at first glance scientific thinking that plunges headlong and with a vengeance into the very bowels of human life extension scientific discourse!

Just saying...

Frank Rummel

#12 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

Hi

I have no problem with a superficial referral to SENS. The very interpolation of this well-thought-out acronym into any conversation is enough to horrify the common man. Keep SENS as a friendly term that benefits everyone's lives and that of their families too. If an individual should risk the travails and seek to explore SENS in more detail, so be it, but let us not expect a novice to understand at first glance scientific thinking that plunges headlong and with a vengeance into the very bowels of human life extension scientific discourse!

Just saying...

Frank Rummel

Right, that's why you'll see that in this video it explains in three bullet points the essence of what it does (reference to 7 different things but not what they are).  The more technical explanation is for a later video in the series which will STILL be accessible to the average person.

How's this for a new SENS oriented slide?

Attached Files

#13 Frank Rummel

• 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hi

While the 7 deadly things is SENS in a nutshell, a more general take is the "damage" theory of aging. Simply, if we repair the damage-caused-by-metabolism (aging), what results is rejuvenation. IMHO grasping just that is a deep insight into the engineering of negligible senescence, and that goes for even Nobel level scientists.

Cheers!

Frank Rummel

#14 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:02 AM

Hi

While the 7 deadly things is SENS in a nutshell, a more general take is the "damage" theory of aging. Simply, if we repair the damage-caused-by-metabolism (aging), what results is rejuvenation. IMHO grasping just that is a deep insight into the engineering of negligible senescence, and that goes for even Nobel level scientists.

Cheers!

Frank Rummel

Quite true.  I have an incentive towards pointing people towards SENS in general however as they are, reasonably, going to want to look to entities that are actually doing something and SENS is likely the most visible of such.  Aubrey's even been getting more press time as of late.  Also this is a lead-in to the video I actually do on SENS.  In any case if you know of other (non-SENS) research being done into cell damage repair please let me know so I can look into it, thanks.

#15 Frank Rummel

• 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hi

You may find John Furber of Legendary Pharmaceuticals of interest. We interviewed him at SENS 2 and found him to be approachable and very knowledgible on aging. Check out this:

http://legendaryphar...om/chartbg.html

I could say much about his work, but your best bet would be to go to Legendary Pharmaceuticals and wade in yourself...

Cheers!

Frak Rummel

#16 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Hi

Just saying...

Frank Rummel

Right, that's why you'll see that in this video it explains in three bullet points the essence of what it does (reference to 7 different things but not what they are).  The more technical explanation is for a later video in the series which will STILL be accessible to the average person.

Nice. Maybe add some blotches of green-ish or brown-ish color to the decrepit cell, to make it more obvious.

#17 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:49 AM

Nice. Maybe add some blotches of green-ish or brown-ish color to the decrepit cell, to make it more obvious.

How about this?

Attached Files

#18 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:10 AM

Here's a link to the completed version.  If you have any recommended edits this would be a good time to suggest them ;)

#19 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

How about this?

Yes, looks great. I might also change the wording bit, to be less definitive. Instead of "this will result in the restoration of youth", maybe "this will help restore youthful function"

Edited by Mind, 26 February 2015 - 09:26 PM.

• Disagree x 1

#20 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

I'm going to do some editing later to slow down the pace of the end of the video.  I have a cold at the moment so my voice might be off for re-recording but whether or not I manage to do your suggested edit this time I will remember the notion for the upcoming videos.

#21 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:30 AM

Oh wait, that's text, not audio, right?  Man, I really do have a bad cold... I'll edit that.

#22 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

Final version is at the link below:

#23 YOLF

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

Looks good, though in hindsight, I think I should have told you to change the color of the text in the Less of this...  ...More of this slide to colors approximating what is shown. Orange is more inviting.

#24 Bottlerocket

• 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

I love the video!

Let me know if you ever need help with the graphic design. Would love to help out!

Also (though this is a bit off-topic), this forum should have some sort of newsletter that is sent to all new members, with a list of some great starter resources like this video. Not sure if this already exists (it wasn't there when I signed up about a year ago).

#25 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

@YOLF: Actually, that was an error on my part.  The red was supposed to be on the left.  I'm using the general idea of "blue and green good, red is either bad or an alert".  I am going to fix this.

@Bottlerocket: I will keep you in mind for this, as I could definitely use some help.  Also a newsletter or other intro document would be great, it would need to be a part of the automated message that all new members get I think... a list of "helpful links".  YOLF, how feasible is it to assemble and have the webcoders make that the case?

#26 Sanhar

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Also, now for the (I think) final final video version!  See link below:

#27 YOLF

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

@YOLF: Actually, that was an error on my part.  The red was supposed to be on the left.  I'm using the general idea of "blue and green good, red is either bad or an alert".  I am going to fix this.

@Bottlerocket: I will keep you in mind for this, as I could definitely use some help.  Also a newsletter or other intro document would be great, it would need to be a part of the automated message that all new members get I think... a list of "helpful links".  YOLF, how feasible is it to assemble and have the webcoders make that the case?

That would be a separate project suggestion. I've invited rwac to come and comment on the feasibility though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users