• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

"Doctor's note", i.e. lab requisition online - possible in US?

bloodwork labs labwork theranos doctors note lab requisition doctors script blood work script requisition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Winslow Strong

• 22 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

Is there a way to obtain online a doctor's note, aka script, aka lab requisition for whatever bloodwork I want, valid in the US?  

I would like to go to the Theranos in the Walgreens near Stanford to order whatever bloodwork I want at very cheap prices.  What stands inbetween me and that is a doctor's note.  I can't see my GP for months and don't particularly want to anyway.  Moreover, he would be unlikely to let me order whatever bloodwork I want.  There are many options to order blood tests online which essentially give you a requisition, however, you must go to labs within their network, e.g.:

http://labsmd.com/process.php

http://www.privatemd...lab_process.php

Since it's clearly possible to get these requisitions online along with the tests, I'm wondering if it's possible to get the requisitions without the tests.  This seems pretty basic, yet I can't find any solutions.  Anyone else find one?

#2 jimsmith

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

There's one thing to watch out for, based on my experience. I ordered "whatever bloodwork I wanted" online and went to the lab to have the blood drawn. To my surprise, the lab drew more than 20 vials of blood. I almost passed out, which is extremely rare for me. I have never passed out in my life, actually. It was ridiculous. I won't do that again.

There is no way so much blood should have been required for the tests I ordered. But I found out the hard way that when you ordered tests a la carte like this, they apparently don't take any care to efficiently use your blood samples. I'm looking for a better way to do it next time. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think this is an important part of what you are attempting to do. Has anyone else had an experience like mine?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

I've ordered a few tests through LEF and they use Labcorp for my area. No issues. Looks like Theranos has some very good prices... no labs near me though per there website. Hopefully that will change AND LEF will partner with them. Not holding my breath but it would be nice. :)

#4 YOLF

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Have you seen directlabs? Don't forget 23andme/promethease. It could help you navigate your health better.

#5 Winslow Strong

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

@jimsmith, beyond their cheap prices, one of the main selling points of Theranos is that they claim to be able to run a large number of blood tests from merely a few drops of blood from the finger.  

@YOLF, yeah directlabs may be the next best option.  Or the next best option might be making a weekend trip to Phoenix and walking into a Theranos there.  The cost savings would probably cover my trip.

Some price comparisons between Theranos and DirectLabs:

Vitamin D, 25-OH: $20 vs $59

Vitamin B12: $10 vs $59 

Triglycerides: $4 vs $29

Testosterone, free/total - $17.5/$17.5 vs $49/$49

hsCRP:  $9 vs $45 

Directlabs probably compares somewhat more favorably when you buy their bundles, but the difference is still pretty substantial.  

It's really a sad state of affairs when regulation stifles life-giving health-sustaining technology like this.  Not that things are much better in many other places in the world.

• WellResearched x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 YOLF

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hmmm... I hadn't previously heard of Theranos. Good prices.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bloodwork, labs, labwork, theranos, doctors note, lab requisition, doctors script, blood work, script, requisition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users