- - - - -

Best time to take probiotic?

probiotic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Empty stomach, with meal, first thing upon waking, before sleep? Does it matter? Considering the cost of some probiotics, don't want to waste money...

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

Gastric acid is the enemy of all probiotics and meals stimulate gastric secretions; still those bugs need something to eat when they hatch, so...  

I take my probiotic either half an hour before meals, washing it swiftly through my stomach with ample amounts of fluid to dilute any acid present.  

Or 2 to 3 hours after eating, again with ample amounts of fluid to dilute any acid and move the germinating cultures swiftly through my stomach.  

Low dose Magnesium (or Calcium) will also neutralize stomach acid if you want to take your probiotic with meals.  I'd drop the Mag or Cal 15 to 30 minutes before the probiotic though to give them time to dissolve and neutralize the acid.  

If you're on acid blockers this would also help, but acid blockers also allow foodborne pathogens into the gut, so I avoid acid blockers like the plague.  

Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (brand name Culturelle) has been tested many times and shown to survive gastric acid better than other strains, so I like this single strain probiotic.  A dozen strains and 50 billion cultures doesn't do much if they all die off before they reach the gut.  

I take an FOS prebiotic (NutraFlora) in LOW DOSES (750mg/meal) to feed good bifidobacterium and this is supposed to cause an ample population bloom without supplementing bifido cultures which are more susceptible to death by gastric acid.  

Edited by synesthesia, 15 March 2015 - 09:25 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cylon

• Topic Starter
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Great advice. Thanks!

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

You're Welcome!  I've had great results with this protocol.  My farts don't stink, I'm very regular, spicy food doesn't give me diarrhea, and my health has improved substantially.  One of my more impressive supplement responses.  I noticed the difference within a week and if I run out for more than a few days, I also notice a swift decline.  

I'm young again, and on this for life!  

Edited by synesthesia, 15 March 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#5 Luxflux

• 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Another option is to model the delivery method used in natural probiotics - just open the capsule and mix it in with some yogurt. I make fruit smoothies with some yogurt, and put my capsule powder in. This fills the gut with an environment very similar to how natural bacteria would enter via kefir or something similar. As an added bonus, there is already plenty of fiber from the fruit(bateria food), so, it seems as good a way as any.

#6 Razor444

• 240 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

Opinion: Common Questions About Probiotic Supplementation Part 1

When is the best time to take a probiotic supplement?

The best time to take a probiotic supplement is a very complex question with multiple answers and depends individually on the person’s daily life and digestive health.

For most people, it is best to take the supplement when your stomach acid is very low, and your MMC is in its later stages. For most people, this is three to four hours after ingesting a meal. I believe it is best to consume a probiotic either right before bed with a small glass of filtered water OR when one first wakes up in the morning. If you choose to take a probiotic three to four hours after a meal or if you decide to take it when you first wake up in the morning you must wait a few hours before consuming food to allow the probiotic to make it into the large intestine.

When you take a probiotic, you want it to survive your stomach acid and make it eventually to the large intestine where the bacteria belong. If you take a capsule that is acid resistant, you can take your probiotic during a meal if you so choose, but the capsule can still dissolve which would not be optimal.

If you believe you suffered from MMC issues in the past, it is best to take the probiotic three to four hours after your meals or first thing in the morning and eat another meal after two hours. It is also best to ingest a prokinetic (cayenne, Swedish Bitters, or ginger) during the meal to help ensure proper delivery.

Why then do most manufacturers on the label state that they recommend you take a probiotic supplement with food? Supplementing probiotics without food may cause nausea for some people and taking the supplement with food can help alleviate that. If taking probiotics on an empty stomach make you feel nauseous, take it with food and make sure that the capsule is acid resistant.

So the choices you have when supplementing a probiotic are:

1. When you first wake up in the morning. If you choose to do this, you need to eat two hours after supplementing.

2. Three to four hours after a meal. You need to wait two hours to eat after ingesting probiotic.

3. Supplement probiotic before bed with a glass of filtered water.

4. Supplement acid resistant probiotic during a meal (only if supplementing a probiotic on an empty stomach makes you nauseous.)

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#7 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

It's best to take the prebiotics first, then the biotics (try to balance the pro and anti). The postbiotics should be taken at last.

OK, I'll try a more serious answer: just take them with a large meal. The bulk will increase the viability of the probiotics.

#8 Kjellfh

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

According to the Lambert`s brand:

Stomach acid kills bacteria.

Lowest acid levels are first in the morning.

Some capsules are patented and claims to be "acid stable" so that they survive the stomach acid.

Take with glass of milk, water and or meal.

Avoid hot food/drinks, heat kills bacteria. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

What are the best probiotics for dopamine and gaba?

I am dealing with long protracted benzo withdrawal and I assume probiotics may help?     But def want something for dopamine as well. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: probiotic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users