• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The most important movies about Life Extension and Immortality

transcendence in time the fountain mr nobody vanilla sky

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 2525

• 60 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Since I was a little child I was thinking that always, the only wish that I would put

to a fairy if she would ever come to me, will always be the same:

I want to live young and healthy forever (and my family as well, and my friends dear to me).

I am surprised that so many people in the world do not know anything about LE and immortality, I always believe that someone who is not hoping to be alive in 500 years from now, it is not really in love with this miracle that represents our lives, us being alive.

I was thinking if there would be more positive movies about this subject, I can recommend to my friends to watch them, to see all the benefits of immortality and life extension.

Until now, I saw the following movies that touch this subject:

In Time - everyone gets blocked age at 26, everything is bought and sold for hours  days and minutes of life, very entertaining movie, unfortunately death is not eliminated, people still die at the hands of "time criminals" who steal the time of those who have a lot, and at the hands of inflation as well.

The Fountain - negative view, depressive, it doesn´t really offer any solutions

Mr Nobody - both positive and negative, it shows that in the future the human race achieves immortality

Transcendence - mostly negative view, Johnny Depp dies, and a computer program continues his research, but it is received negatively by primitive people of the contemporan society

The Man from Earth - the movie with the lowest budget, just $ 500, is a great exercise of thinking, although it is against religion, it is worth watching

Vanilla Sky and Open Your Eyes (first, spanish version of Vanilla Sky) -  based on Philip K Dick book "Ubik", it is a very catchy and interesting movie

Source Code - negative, sad, depressive movie, a dying soldier is trapped forever in a computer

program trying to solve a crime, while he wants to die

Can you recommend other movies as well on immortality and life extension?

Thank you

P.S. I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.

Woody Allen

#2 2525

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

I also heard that there is a documentary called "How to Live Forever" but I was very saddened by how few people saw it,

and what low sales it had.

#3 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

The most famous, probably:

Highlander - negative and positive, as an action movie it's very good (the later ones suck)

Most vampire movies

is a great exercise of thinking, although it is against religion, it is worth watching

Hey, that is a good point, not a bad point :laugh:

Edited by Antonio2014, 29 March 2015 - 09:08 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 2525

• Topic Starter
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Also famous is Twilight, the vampires who are main characters are immortal,

I think there is a real chance into bringing in our community some older "Twilight" fans,

who love their life and staying alive, they will be probably interested

to make a change in our world and fight with us for being alive in 2150, 2250

and all the exciting years that will follow

• Disagree x 1

#5 TheSimulation

• 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

The Jacket is a good movie,

and Jacob's Ladder,

along with "The Thirteenth Floor".

I found the Source Code movie to not be as depressing at the end where he can continue living and does not want to die when he looks in the mirror thing. I'm not giving quite enough details to be a full spoiler alert..

Also some non fiction videos to watch on the subject are "rebooting the cosmos, is the universe the ultimate computer"

I was not a  huge fan of The Matrix movie although it was okay (too much violence in it, not enough actual story or technical details about the technology). I preferred The Thirteenth Floor over the matrix movies.

World on A Wire (german: Welt am Draht) was way ahead of its time. An old movie but great.

THX 1138 is another old movie way ahead of its time.  Similar to George Orwell 1984 (another great one)

Age of Adeline is okay, although she could have shared the technology sooner instead of hiding it IMO.

Edited by TheSimulation, 11 July 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#6 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

I watched yesterday Mr. Holmes. Maybe it's not strictly a film about life extension, but it's a good film about neurodegeneration, and the main character fights against it with the means available to him. Aging and neurodegeneration are pervasive in the film and maybe it makes the average viewer wonder if there is some cure now for them.

• like x 1

#7 temperance brennan

• 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

what a great exercise of thinking

• Cheerful x 1

#8 CaptainJ

• 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:13 AM

How about Inception?  One character asks another if he would like to go back and live as young men, and it did remind me slightly of the aforementioned Jacob's Ladder, when it came to what is/considered real, and what it not.  It can make one wonder about the Eastern undertsandings of this being an elongated dream state.   I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Not to get too off topic, but Telsa CEO Elon Musk believes it's almost certain what we consider reality is just a simulation, and he isn't alone.  I think of immortality and life extension differently when I pause to ponder things such as these.  

http://www.dailymail...e-billions.html

Edited by CaptainJ, 09 July 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#9 Immortalist188

• 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

I watched Mr. Nobody and found it really interesting. It was like dreaming!

#10 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:05 AM

How about Inception?  One character asks another if he would like to go back and live as young men, and it did remind me slightly of the aforementioned Jacob's Ladder, when it came to what is/considered real, and what it not.  It can make one wonder about the Eastern undertsandings of this being an elongated dream state.   I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Not to get too off topic, but Telsa CEO Elon Musk believes it's almost certain what we consider reality is just a simulation, and he isn't alone.  I think of immortality and life extension differently when I pause to ponder things such as these.  

http://www.dailymail...e-billions.html

I dont know why this idea has become so popular, just because there are just 3 ways things could be according to N. Bostrom?

Why not assume that we are just the mental constructs of some "god-thing" that imagines us thinking and doing things while we are just the expressions of one mind?

#11 Astreon

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

The movie that really made me think about immortality was the scene from Blade Runner where Batty delivered a really moving monologue right before dying in front of Deckard.

I started to think about my own mortality and about ways to live way longer than our 80 or so years on Earth. For the people who did not see the movie, Batty is a replicant with a four-year lifespan only. He really wanted more life (as he said in another scene)!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

https://en.wikipedia..._rain_monologue

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Replicant

Edited by Astreon, 03 December 2016 - 09:39 AM.

• like x 1

#12 YOLF

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

Wow, I didn't realize the replicants were so short lived. Will definitely have to see this movie and its sequel some day. I always liked the story of Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop. Crest/Banner of the Stars has long lived space elves (Ahb) who were made from humans, though they only get to live to an ageless 250 years that's programmed into them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transcendence, in time, the fountain, mr nobody, vanilla sky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users