• 559 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

How can I edit/delete a post?

• Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

You can't edit a post after a certain amount of time; I think it's set to an hour now.   Our policy is to not delete posts without a good reason. 

• Disagree x 2

#3 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

You can't edit a post after a certain amount of time; I think it's set to an hour now.   Our policy is to not delete posts without a good reason. 

A horrible idea against privacy or comprehension if one made a mistake or the link or images posted are wrong or down.

I think it is less than an hour. Anyway, an hour is little time to edit.

• Agree x 6

#4 kimrick

• 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:48 PM

I, too, agree that the post non-editing time lockout "POLICY" sucks.  This is one area of life where THINGS CHANGE and statements/opinions MUST be subject to additional input.  Whomever decided that initial posts are engraved in granite is doing a continuing disservice to everyone.

Amazon allows unlimited post editing which stimulates follow-on accuracy additions. As their reputation grows and grows you cannot say that their policy has done any harm.

Longecity: what a curious stance from a website devoted to accuracy and truth. Bizarre.

Edited by kimrick, 19 April 2015 - 01:22 PM.

• Agree x 5

#5 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

The lords of the forum have stubbornly persisted in imposing this, and other, unpopular policies for many years now.  Never mind the privacy and corrections issues raised above, that it is opposed by the great majority of members, clashes with the standard practices of forum usage and etiquette on the internet (e.g., editable first posts are commonly used for updates or summaries of a thread), and that the rest of the internet works absolutely fine without these arbitrary restrictions.   

People almost always quote what they are responding to - and this is a good thing and should be encouraged; it is stupid to have to page up or go to a previous page to reconstruct the flow a conversation - this quoting practice makes the justifications for the no-edit policy largely moot.

Also, perhaps related to the editing policy, you cannot quote the first post in the thread without copying and pasting it yourself.  This is very annoying when you want to respond to or highlight, say, a specific sentence or paragraph in the initial post, or when threads last multiple pages so the first post in not in easy view.  Making the initial post quotable would also remove much of the justification for setting it in stone. 

Edited by nowayout, 19 April 2015 - 01:28 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

Sadly, I don't make the rules.  You'll have to talk to caliban about all this stuff.  I agree with nowayout that the removal of the ability to quote the first post was unhelpful.  The reason for the editing/deletion limit is to prevent people from "changing history".  Once there has been a bunch of discussion about something, it would be pretty confusing if the person who wrote that post changed or deleted it.  It would be great if forum configuration were under democratic control by our members.  It would be a simple matter to create a poll and get a vote on something like the edit window or quoting the first post.   I've created such polls in the past, but nothing ever came of them.

• like x 1

#7 Heinsbeans

• 111 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

Can you edit posts if you become a member? I want the ability to edit my posts since my thread has gotten way too long since I keep having to post the same thing over and over since I can't edit/update my posts after an hour. I'm not planning on "changing history", I just want to update my posts to shorten my question, make it easier to read, fix my grammar and update my nootropic experience. I'm willing to pay for yearly membership if that can be done. 

Edited by Heinsbeans, 18 May 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:45 PM

Full Members can have full editing control over certain of their own threads if they state so in the thread and send me a request    

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users