• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Poor Motivation and Lack of Interest - Unable to do anything that requires mental exertion

motivation concentration

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chris87

• 35 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

I'm not sure how to describe what I'm experiencing. I feel like I no longer have any hobbies or interests. Nothing is stimulating enough to override my desire to avoid mental effort. I remember when I was younger, I would be engrossed by various topics. I'd spend hours researching some arcane subject (computer networking, electronics, etc), and it was enjoyable to me. I used to be so bored at school, but I'd look forward to getting home. I'd have the rest of the night to pursue my own interests.

I'm not sure what has changed, but I don't have this desire anymore. Almost nothing is interesting enough to motivate me. I avoid anything that requires sustained mental effort. Most things are too challenging, and I can't focus. If I need to do something that requires prolonged concentration, my brain can't handle it. I feel like my mind is saying, "Stop. This is too exhausting, difficult, overwhelming, and complicated." When I'm not working, I do almost nothing productive (listen to music and watch TV). That's all that I can handle. When I try to accomplish something, it tends to be incomplete and go unfinished. I occasionally have some enthusiasm (at least initially), but my follow-through is poor.

Internally, I feel very sad. I have goals and ambitions, but I've realized that I'll never accomplish any of them.

Can anyone relate? What could cause me to become like this?

#2 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Sounds like you're suffering from depression. Clean up your diet if it's Shitty, meditate, exercise, think positively ( very important)and try out some nootropics like tianeptine, phenylpiracetam, or semax

Edited by Ed Ntuk, 09 June 2015 - 01:35 PM.

• Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

How is your social life, how do you do with conversation

#4 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

Sounds like you're suffering from depression. Clean up your diet if it's Shitty, meditate, exercise, think positively ( very important)and try out some nootropics like tianeptine, phenylpiracetam, or semax

Maybe it is depression. I dread the thought of taking an SSRI. I took Lexapro and Zoloft in the past, and they were horrible for me. I should try meditation. I eat a plant-based diet, and I do exercise regularly. I would try Tianeptine, but it's not available in the US. I would have to order it.

#5 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

How is your social life, how do you do with conversation

Unfortunately, it's nonexistent. I have no friends and have never had a girlfriend. I have some social anxiety, and it makes everything more difficult. Once I'm comfortable with someone, I'm usually fine. However, the process of meeting a new person, initiating conversation, and following up has always been a challenge. If someone approaches me, it's much easier. I feel very alone, and I wish I had more social interaction.

Edited by chris87, 09 June 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#6 Creo

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

dont take SSRI too quickly, it wont help in the longrun

• like x 1

#7 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:31 PM

dont take SSRI too quickly, it wont help in the longrun

I really don't want to take an SSRI. I had tried Lexapro and Zoloft in the past, and they did not help. I felt so foggy on them and couldn't focus at all.

#8 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

How did You become like this ? is there a reason, like Cannabis or the SSRI´s ?

I would look for something that activates CAMP and/or CREB like Sytrinol(Nobiletin + Narigenin) or just Forskolin and then look how it works.

If it doesnt works, then look for something that decreases Serotonine, though its a good question what might decrease Serotonine that good. Perhaps evodiamine or Tianeptine but the latter might bear some side-effects

I have this 5-ht assumption because I have also motivational deficits ever since and shyness + anxiety. I assume that I have decreased expression of 5-htt = Serotonine transporters which increases the serotonine levels.

Note: this is just a laymans opinion, I dont want to be responsible if something wents wrong.

Edited by Flex, 10 June 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#9 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Have you checked your hormone levels? Low testosterone could drain the very life out of you. I have been undiagnosed as having Low T for years. SSRI this, MAOI that, etc etc but they gave me a partial response. I never felt complete or even close. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16760626

"The partial androgen deficiency of aging males (PADAM) is responsible for a variety of behavioral symptoms, such as weakness, fatigue, decreased libido, depressive mood, lack of motivation and energy, lower psychological vitality, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, decreased work and sport performances, difficulty in concentrating, memory impairment and low dominance. Psychological and behavioral aspects of PADAM overlap with signs and symptoms of major depression."

A lot of the time major depression symptoms can be extremely similar to low T.  May want to look into it if you haven't already.

Herbs which boost hormone levels have had some of the most profound effects for me in terms of treating my horrible low motivation, low energy, immense anhedonia, and lack of pleasure***.    Eleuthero Root,  Korean Red Ginseng, Ginkgo, and to a lesser extent Resveratrol and Licorice root are good examples.  Unfortunately the ginsengs can really drop blood sugar and cause some sleepiness in certain individuals. If you can push through some of the side effects you may find some potent benefits.  I personally used to use Eleuthero Root Ginseng with Vyvanse  (to wake me up) and Niacin with profound results.   For the first time in ages I was able to be immersed in a video game. 

#10 chris87

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:40 AM

Have you checked your hormone levels? Low testosterone could drain the very life out of you. I have been undiagnosed as having Low T for years. SSRI this, MAOI that, etc etc but they gave me a partial response. I never felt complete or even close.

"The partial androgen deficiency of aging males (PADAM) is responsible for a variety of behavioral symptoms, such as weakness, fatigue, decreased libido, depressive mood, lack of motivation and energy, lower psychological vitality, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, decreased work and sport performances, difficulty in concentrating, memory impairment and low dominance. Psychological and behavioral aspects of PADAM overlap with signs and symptoms of major depression."

A lot of the time major depression symptoms can be extremely similar to low T. May want to look into it if you haven't already.

Herbs which boost hormone levels have had some of the most profound effects for me in terms of treating my horrible low motivation, low energy, immense anhedonia, and lack of pleasure***. Eleuthero Root, Korean Red Ginseng, Ginkgo, and to a lesser extent Resveratrol and Licorice root are good examples. Unfortunately the ginsengs can really drop blood sugar and cause some sleepiness in certain individuals. If you can push through some of the side effects you may find some potent benefits. I personally used to use Eleuthero Root Ginseng with Vyvanse (to wake me up) and Niacin with profound results. For the first time in ages I was able to be immersed in a video game.

This is a very interesting suggestion. I never thought about the possibility of low testosterone. Is this common? I'm going to have lab work done, and I will have my levels tested. I had been starting to think that maybe my problems were related to being born prematurely. I've read various articles that have suggested a link between premature birth and ADHD/anxiety. I just want to find the underlying issue, so that I can feel normal.

#11 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

A lot of the time major depression symptoms can be extremely similar to low T. May want to look into it if you haven't already.

Herbs which boost hormone levels have had some of the most profound effects for me in terms of treating my horrible low motivation, low energy, immense anhedonia, and lack of pleasure***. Eleuthero Root, Korean Red Ginseng, Ginkgo, and to a lesser extent Resveratrol and Licorice root are good examples. Unfortunately the ginsengs can really drop blood sugar and cause some sleepiness in certain individuals. If you can push through some of the side effects you may find some potent benefits. I personally used to use Eleuthero Root Ginseng with Vyvanse (to wake me up) and Niacin with profound results. For the first time in ages I was able to be immersed in a video game.

This is a very interesting suggestion. I never thought about the possibility of low testosterone. Is this common? I'm going to have lab work done, and I will have my levels tested. I had been starting to think that maybe my problems were related to being born prematurely. I've read various articles that have suggested a link between premature birth and ADHD/anxiety. I just want to find the underlying issue, so that I can feel normal.

Much more common than one may think. All the xenoestrogens in various daily products, all the toxic junk in typical American Diet foods. Plus any number of genetic or environmental factors. Plus if you ever have taken Accutane then you are likely severely effected by lower T.

Be sure to check TSH, free T3, and Cortisol levels as well. Cortisol below 230 usually indicates low adrenal function. Low cortisol can make you feel like the walking dead. Balance is essential. 

#12 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:07 AM

I hope that chris87 has found the motivation he was seeking!

Do you find motivation elusive?
Do you start a new project and work intensely for a few days, weeks or months only to lose steam before seeing the project through to fruition?
Here we’ll break down seven mental hacks for mastering motivation...

1*11GMUD3BZLs2I7D-m6TkiQ.jpeg

Listen to podcast: 7 Mental Hacks for MASTERING Motivation

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#13 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:37 PM

Motivation/dopamine problems can certainly destroy people's lives.   The below quote is something I know too well. 

I avoid anything that requires sustained mental effort. Most things are too challenging, and I can't focus. If I need to do something that requires prolonged concentration, my brain can't handle it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motivation, concentration

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users