• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ursocholanic acid (UDCA) and TUDCA for mitochondrial health and neuroprotection?

udca tudca ursocholanic acid tauroursodeoxycholic acid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

What do people think of UDCA and Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid for neuroprotection? anyone tried them?

:

Glob Adv Health Med. 2014 May;3(3):58-69. doi: 10.7453/gahmj.2014.017.
The Unexpected Uses of Urso- and Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid in the Treatment of Non-liver Diseases.
Abstract

Tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) is the taurine conjugate of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a US Food and Drug Administration-approved hydrophilic bile acid for the treatment of certain cholestatic liver diseases. There is a growing body of research on the mechanism(s) of TUDCA and its potential therapeutic effect on a wide variety of non-liver diseases. Both UDCA and TUDCA are potent inhibitors of apoptosis, in part by interfering with the upstream mitochondrial pathway of cell death, inhibiting oxygen-radical production, reducing endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress, and stabilizing the unfolded protein response (UPR). Several studies have demonstrated that TUDCA serves as an anti-apoptotic agent for a number of neurodegenerative diseases, including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and Huntington's disease. In addition, TUDCA plays an important role in protecting against cell death in certain retinal disorders, such as retinitis pigmentosa. It has been shown to reduce ER stress associated with elevated glucose levels in diabetes by inhibiting caspase activation, up-regulating the UPR, and inhibiting reactive oxygen species. Obesity, stroke, acute myocardial infarction, spinal cord injury, and a long list of acute and chronic non-liver diseases associated with apoptosis are all potential therapeutic targets for T/UDCA. A growing number of pre-clinical and clinical studies underscore the potential benefit of this simple, naturally occurring bile acid, which has been used in Chinese medicine for more than 3000 years.

Neurology. 2015 Aug 7. pii: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000001905. [Epub ahead of print]
UDCA exerts beneficial effect on mitochondrial dysfunction in LRRK2G2019S carriers and in vivo.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To further characterize mitochondrial dysfunction in LRRK2G2019S mutant Parkinson disease (PD) patient tissue (M-LRRK2G2019S), determine whether ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) also exerts a beneficial effect on mitochondrial dysfunction in nonmanifesting LRRK2G2019Smutation carriers (NM-LRRK2G2019S), and assess UDCA for its beneficial effect on neuronal dysfunction in vivo.

METHODS:

Intracellular adenosine 5'-triphosphate (ATP) levels, oxygen consumption, and activity of the individual complexes of the mitochondrial respiratory chain as well as mitochondrial morphology were measured in M-LRRK2G2019S, NM-LRRK2G2019S, and controls. UDCA was assessed for its rescue effect on intracellular ATP levels in NM-LRRK2G2019S and in a LRRK2 transgenic fly model with dopaminergic expression of LRRK2G2019S.

RESULTS:

Crucial parameters of mitochondrial function were similarly reduced in both M-LRRK2G2019S and NM-LRRK2G2019S with a specific decrease in respiratory chain complex IV activity. Mitochondrial dysfunction precedes changes in mitochondrial morphology but is normalized after siRNA-mediated knockdown of LRRK2. UDCA improved mitochondrial function in NM-LRRK2G2019 and rescued the loss of visual function in LRRK2G2019S flies.

CONCLUSION:

There is clear preclinical impairment of mitochondrial function in NM-LRRK2G2019S that is distinct from the mitochondrial impairment observed in parkin-related PD. The beneficial effect of UDCA on mitochondrial function in both NM-LRRK2G2019S and M-LRRK2G2019S as well as on the function of dopaminergic neurons expressing LRRK2G2019S suggests that UDCA is a promising drug for future neuroprotective trials.

© 2015 American Academy of Neurology.

• Informative x 1

#2 Raza

• 454 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

Examine has a page for it, which is always a good place to start: http://examine.com/s... Acid/#summary5

Personally, I think it looks potentially promising, but a bit early to grab for neuroprotection. There's tons of neuroprotectants out there, many of them more affordable and with more research on their name. I'd grab this if I wanted the liver benefits, or maybe if I had money to burn and wanted to double up on top of more attractive staples like spirulina.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

it seems to be a primarely threatment for liver disease and thats what is interesting to me. can someone please help me find and buy it? i assume its RX only?? but im pretty sure some website might sell it just fine, not like its opiate or some banned substance....

#4 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

Mol Neurobiol. 2016 Oct 3.
Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid Protects Against Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Cell Death via Mitophagy in Human Neuroblastoma Cells.
Fonseca I1, Gordino G1, Moreira S1, Nunes MJ1, Azevedo C1, Gama MJ1,2, Rodrigues E1,2, Rodrigues CM1,2, Castro-Caldas M3,4.
Mitochondrial dysfunction has been deeply implicated in the pathogenesis of several neurodegenerative diseases. Thus, to keep a healthy mitochondrial population, a balanced mitochondrial turnover must be achieved. Tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) is neuroprotective in various neurodegenerative disease models; however, the mechanisms involved are still incompletely characterized. In this study, we investigated the neuroprotective role of TUDCA against mitochondrial damage triggered by the mitochondrial uncoupler carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophelyhydrazone (CCCP). Herein, we show that TUDCA significantly prevents CCCP-induced cell death, ROS generation, and mitochondrial damage. Our results indicate that the neuroprotective role of TUDCA in this cell model is mediated by parkin and depends on mitophagy. The demonstration that pharmacological up-regulation of mitophagy by TUDCA prevents neurodegeneration provides new insights for the use of TUDCA as a modulator of mitochondrial activity and turnover, with implications in neurodegenerative diseases.
KEYWORDS:
Autophagy; Mitochondria; Mitophagy; Parkin; SH-SY5Y cells; TUDCA
PMID: 27699602

#5 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:39 AM

ok thanks for this study ta5 but its been one year and nobody could answer my question, is this thing sold anywhere at all??

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

It's easy enough to find--

https://www.amazon.c...ursodeoxycholic

http://www.primordia...5300F66C48BFF17

http://www.dpsnutrit...CFUY2gQodCJUC3A

Edited by Turnbuckle, 02 November 2016 - 01:30 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:01 AM

yeah just as i thought lots of suspicious bodybuilding companies are on that bandwagon. well, i guess reputable companies do not care enough to distribute this yet

• Disagree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: udca, tudca, ursocholanic acid, tauroursodeoxycholic acid

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users