How to print a full thread ?

printing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:00 PM

Sorry if this has been asked/replied (I checked in the FAQ section but was unable to find) .....

Do I have the possibly to print (e.g. PDF) or save on my laptop a full discussion thread which I would like to save for reference? Which ways do you recommend I use otherwise to save threads or post?

Thank you in advance.

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

I use ScrapBook Firefox addon. With which you can save html of pages (or excerpts of pages) to a chosen level of depth (that is including pages behind links, or excluding other domains) all in one go.

• like x 1

#3 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

Thank you. It worked perfect for LongeCity threads. On the other side, for some reason, when saving for the Life Extension Forum before it shut down, the saving option was not saving all the pages of the thread and you seemed to have to do one by one (hence I used the printed as PDF option). Maybe I overlooked something there as I lacked time. The LEF forum is now (shamefully) closed and also the "old one" no longer retrievable. I wonder if they decide to shut down also LongeCity one!

#4 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

Firefox Quantum is no longer supporting ScrapBook.

Do you know if there is a way I can still use ScrapBook?

Or, any other simple way to store a full thread as a PDF file?

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

Do you know if there is a way I can still use ScrapBook?

Yes, it's a shame. For now I downloaded PortableFirefoxESR (Extended Support Release) and run it separately with ScrapBook installed.

• Informative x 1

#6 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Thank you Pamojja. There must be a better way to save on my PC. I tried to ask also here just in case of future LC site revamping.

#7 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

there is a simple print button 

Attached File  lcprnt.PNG   13.87KB   0 downloads

the problem is that the rating functions make the resulting document very ugly

I have put that on the list of things to fix but its unlikely to get tackled soon 

• Informative x 1

#8 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:39 AM

Thank you Caliban.

I appreciate your reply and did try. I admit I overlooked that button (!) but yes the result it is bad due to the rating system. There are very interesting threads on LC which are even in the 50-100 pages range. Printing page by page and merging is time consuming (e.g. I would like to have a PDF document of all and electronically emphasize the parts really relevant to me for a fast recollect). It would be great if one button click will print the entire thread.

Even accepting the bad results due to the rating system, I wonder if I have a mean to print all the thread at once right now.

#9 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

Sorry, old thread. Just bumping in case someone with IT skills out there has come up with new ideas how to simply print/save in once a full thread. There is so much effort which went into many of the LC threads, some really long, that it would be good to have a back up at least as PDF document.

• Good Point x 1

#10 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2021 - 07:27 AM

Just re-bumping this.

It is not really for the reasons we know (possible censorship? funding? etc.) but for those we do not know I would like to save some of the threads in this Forum on my computer.

Nobody concerned by this?

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder on this. We will look into it once again. Everything is of course backed-up on the back-end, but it is not a bad idea for people to be able to save/print some of their contributions on their own.

• like x 2

#12 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:31 AM

saving threads is easy - just click on 'download' (next to print at the bottom) and you'll get an html copy. Only the 'condensed' text form that 'print' allows is 'broken' due to the the ratings display issue.      

#13 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:18 AM

Thank you @caliban for your reply (and @Mind to notify me on PM).

It might be my system but the small download icon does not always show up (this is fun, I wonder why so, I noticed it is ok for old threads and it happens for a couple of very active ones) and when it does you can only save one page at the time while I would like to do it all al once for the full thread.

Sorry to keep bugging you all on this!

#14 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

There are IPBoard versions that allow download of full thread as html. A typical thread has tens of pages of fluff and junk formatting that can only be cleaned up in html.

#15 albedo

• Topic Starter
  • 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

There are IPBoard versions that allow download of full thread as html. A typical thread has tens of pages of fluff and junk formatting that can only be cleaned up in html.

Sorry what is "IPBoard versions" ?

#16 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

Sorry what is "IPBoard versions" ?

IPBoard is the software to run this forum. As one can see in the lowest right corner on any pages of this forum.

Therefore I assume it just needs an update of the forum-software to that other version.

#17 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:21 PM

IPBoard is the software to run this forum. As one can see in the lowest right corner on any pages of this forum.

Therefore I assume it just needs an update of the forum-software to that other version.

It needs a downgrade, I believe earlier versions had thread download enabled by default, and cleaner skins with better readability and screen space economy, by default:)

Edited by blind12, 31 January 2021 - 09:22 PM.

#18 blind12

• 77 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 05:06 PM

saving threads is easy - just click on 'download' (next to print at the bottom) and you'll get an html copy.

"Download" and "Print" buttons at the bottom only work for tiny one-page threads, where they aren't particularly necessary anyway.

These buttons are not displayed for long threads where they are actually needed. They can be reconstructed from e.g. "Email" button, replacing "email" with "download", but the resulting link only downloads the first page of a 50-page thread.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: printing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users