• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Mitoq Serum huge price hike!?! Need active ingredient supplier...

mitoq serum mitoquinol mesylate ubiquinol ingredient

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

What's happened to Mitoq Serum?  I went looking for a new bottle and the prices are hiked up close to double what I was buying it for last year, and there are no eBay cheapies available at all.  I used to be able to buy it new for AUD92 delivered, and occasionally under $30 secondhand.  Now the prices are just crazy.

Which leads me to the natural response...  Is anyone aware of a supplier of the active ingredient please - Mitoquinol Mesylate, the reduced form of ubiquinol?  

Mitoq serum is good, but not that good!  It's a single active in a nothing-special base.  I might as well add the pure active to my own base.

[Sorry, this should not really be under Supplements-Product but the auto-categorisation feature in the forum forced it into here, instead of Ageless Looks where I tried to put it.]

Edited by StephCThomp, 20 January 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:29 AM

Mitoquinol is not the reduced form of ubiquinol.  It's a different molecule, although part of that molecule is the same as ubiquinone/ol.   As for the price, good luck.  I think the word got out that it was good, and they're charging what the market will bear. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

Actually what happened last year they were "overstocked" and had a few batches with expiry date in Jul-Sep 2015 period which were sold at 50% discount to the regular price in an effort to be cleared before their BB date.

I suspect you bought one of those (look on the bottom of your bottle).

Before and after this period, the price has been 118 USD in most places.

TruthInAging had a 30% off sale around New Year but even that discount can't entice me to re-purchase. 50 USD is my very top limit, and for an exceptional product (granted, the MitoQ serum works).

#4 Yelena

• 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

Can't we just add the contents of the MitoQ capsules into a base cream? (dissolve it in a bit of water first) That would be a very cost effective way to dupe the serum (a bottle of MitoQ caps would be enough to make many ounces of MitoQ cream).

What do you think?

• Agree x 1

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

Can't we just add the contents of the MitoQ capsules into a base cream? (dissolve it in a bit of water first) That would be a very cost effective way to dupe the serum (a bottle of MitoQ caps would be enough to make many ounces of MitoQ cream).

What do you think?

I dunno.  If the serum is 1% by weight, then one 5mg capsule would be enough to make only half an ml of serum.  (Ten capsules = one teaspoon.)  I looked around a bit, but didn't find any mention of the actual concentration of the serum, so it could be higher or lower.   The 5mg capsules contain a lot of filler (this is necessary for capping, not a scam), so you'd have to either separate it or incorporate it in the home-brew serum.  All told, this doesn't look like it's going to be a big win unless it's a very low concentration.

#6 Yelena

• 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

What color is the contents of the capsules? Bright yellow/orange? If so, a few caps should be enough to approximate the (unknown) concentration of the serum (which is light yellow). We could just go by color, no? Add enough caps to an ounce of base cream to make it a light yellow.

#7 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

What color is the contents of the capsules? Bright yellow/orange? If so, a few caps should be enough to approximate the (unknown) concentration of the serum (which is light yellow). We could just go by color, no? Add enough caps to an ounce of base cream to make it a light yellow.

Pure white so the color approximation is out of question.

It is another ingredient in the serum that make it look yellowish.

#8 Yelena

• 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:07 AM

Oh, bummer :(

But thanks for letting me know, now i can stop thinking about this idea. Ugh.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#9 Yelena

• 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:17 AM

The yellow color then must be from Behentrimonium Methosulfate (which is the only ingredient in the list that can be yellowish, the rest are clear or white). I just wish there was a way to figure out the % of MitoQ in the serum. Still can't stop thinking about it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitoq, serum, mitoquinol mesylate, ubiquinol, ingredient

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users