- - - - -

High-dose Resveratrol-Zinc Interaction Can Cause Loss of Taste

resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 B_Warned

• 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Because of restrictions on new posters, I am unable to post the important message and warning I wanted to leave here.  I am unable cut and paste the message I previously created and edited in a text file on my computer.  And as a new poster I cannot provide links to important references.  I am apparently allowed to ATTACH the text file to this posting.  So please read the Attached File: resveratrol zinc and taste.txt 

Because the information in this message provides important new medical information not posted anywhere else on the Web or in medical literature, I urge you to take the trouble to read the attached file as I have taken the trouble to create the message and make the information and warning available to everyone else.

Attached Files

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

B_Warned, you should be able to paste text as a new user, but the operation might have failed if there were links in the text.  I'll paste the contents of the attachment "resveratrol zinc and taste.txt" here so people don't have to download it:

High-dose Resveratrol-Zinc Interaction Can Cause Loss of Taste

In hopes of reducing chronic fatigue and painful inflammation in one leg symptoms believed to be the lasting effects from exposure to dioxin from diesel exhaust in an auto/truck service shop more than 10 years ago, I decided to take 3 capsules of 500mg of MegaResveratrol 99% pure trans-resveratrol daily.  This action was taken after researching papers on dioxin, the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor (AHR), rheumatoid arthritis, and resveratrol.  Basically much of the toxic effects from dioxin result from dioxin binding to AHRs which alters immune response.  Dioxins have a very long half-life in the body after exposure, 7 to 10 years or longer.  Studies have shown dioxin (from cigarette smoke) may increase rheumatoid arthritis symptoms through the AHR.  Resveratrol has been shown to alleviate symptoms in a mouse model of rheumatoid arthritis with daily doses roughly equivalent to 500mg per 50lbs body weight.  Resveratrol has also been shown to interact with the AHR.  So my hopes were that 1500mg resveratrol daily might bind to AHRs or otherwise interfere with dioxin preventing it from binding to AHRs, alleviating my symptoms.

During the fifth week of 1500mg resveratrol daily, I began to note a distinct loss and altering of taste sensation, especially sweet and salty taste.  Researching possible causes for loss of taste, zinc deficiency was at the top of the list, with drug or medication-zinc interactions a likely cause.  Then I found research showing resveratrol interacts with zinc.  There was no other change in my diet or routine to account for the loss of taste or zinc.  I regularly take zinc supplements daily in the amount of 45mg daily.  After 2 more weeks of resveratrol supplementation, my loss of taste dramatically worsened.  Water had a weird taste.  Ice cream was totally tasteless.  Only the most savory food had any taste at all.  So after 6 weeks, I completely stopped taking resveratrol.  There had been no noticeable improvement in my fatigue or inflammatory leg pain.  It remains inconclusive as to whether resveratrol would have had any moderating effect on AHRs and dioxin if supplementation continued longer.

After 4 weeks without resveratrol, my taste sensation is nearly 100% back to normal, coming back strongly within the last few days.  Taste sensation seems to be lost or restored rapidly once certain zinc threshold levels are reached.

I have only found one other mention of loss of taste due to high-dose resveratrol online.  I would advise great caution in deciding whether to go on high-dose resveratrol regimen.  Taste sensation provides the proverbial "canary in the mine" warning.  It is simply not known what harm resveratrol may cause to zinc or copper metabolism that goes beyond mere loss of taste.  Resveratrol may bind to zinc and be absorbed by cells in a form which alters normal zinc metabolism.  Resveratrol-zinc supplementation has been studied for cancer treatment.  In one case, resveratrol-zinc may help with prostate cancer.  In another case, it may accelerate the growth of breast cancer tumors.  The side effects from long-term high-dose resveratrol remain unstudied and are an unknown risk in general.

References:

For an explanation of how zinc affects taste see:
Carbonic Anhydrases: Their Roles in Taste and Smell Function
http://www.tasteands...com/mar2012.htm

A case of resveratrol causing a loss of taste:
http://buhnerhealing.../loss-of-taste/

Effect of resveratrol and zinc on intracellular zinc status in normal human prostate epithelial cells.
http://ajpcell.physi...297/3/C632.long

Resveratrol–zinc combination for prostate cancer management
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4111750/

The effect of dietary zinc - and polyphenols intake on DMBA-induced mammary tumorigenesis in rats
http://jbiomedsci.bi...1423-0127-19-43

Effects of resveratrol in inflammatory arthritis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17115116

Gao, Xiuzhu (2011) Immune regulation of inflammatory arthritis by a natural product resveratrol. MSc® thesis.
http://theses.gla.ac.uk/2361/

Resveratrol modulates murine collagen-induced arthritis by inhibiting Th17 and B-cell function
http://ard.bmj.com/c...149831.abstract

Anti-inflammatory effect of resveratrol on adjuvant arthritis rats with abnormal immunological function via the reduction of cyclooxygenase-2 and prostaglandin E2
http://www.spandidos...om/mmr/9/6/2592

Aryl hydrocarbon receptor antagonism and its role in rheumatoid arthritis
https://www.dovepres...wed-article-JEP

The roles of aryl hydrocarbon receptor in immune responses
http://intimm.oxford...t/25/6/335.long

Quercetin, resveratrol, and curcumin are indirect activators of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AHR).
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22867086

Resveratrol, a natural aryl hydrocarbon receptor antagonist, protects lung from DNA damage and apoptosis caused by benzo[a]pyrene
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12884409

Resveratrol has antagonist activity on the aryl hydrocarbon receptor: implications for prevention of dioxin toxicity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10496962

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 B_Warned

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

B_Warned, you should be able to paste text as a new user, but the operation might have failed if there were links in the text.  I'll paste the contents of the attachment "resveratrol zinc and taste.txt" here so people don't have to download it:

Thank you for posting my message in the proper form with links.  I have not been able to paste any text of any kind despite repeated attempts and setting "allow access to clipboard".  Spam may be a problem, but discouraging all new posters is not good either.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

I'll see if I can find out what's up with the paste problem. 

Now, after thinking about this and looking at some of the refs, I have to question the entire thesis.  There are various ways that taste and smell can become compromised, with upper respiratory or sinus infection being a common cause.  Exposure to certain drugs is another cause.  I certainly can't rule out resveratrol as a cause of taste loss, but based on the large number of people who have used it (we have an entire forum devoted to nothing but resveratrol, and there are scores of suppliers) and the very small number of reports of taste loss associated with it, I would say that the odds of resveratrol being causal are low.  While it's true that zinc deficiency can cause taste problems, the connection between resveratrol and zinc is very weak.  We have a report of an in vitro experiment in which very high concentrations of resveratrol with zinc caused intracellular zinc levels to increase in epithelial cells.  There are two problems with this-- First, the lowest concentration used in the experiment would not have been reached even transiently with a 1500mg dose.  Second, the effect on zinc levels goes in the wrong direction.  If a zinc deficiency can cause taste problems, then why would something that increased zinc levels be a problem? 

I'm very glad to hear that your taste perception has returned to normal.  45mg of zinc is a pretty large dose; it could suppress your copper levels.  You might want to cut back on that. 

Diesel exhaust is one of my pet peeves, but I think it's unlikely that you could have gotten a big enough dose of dioxin through that route to cause fatigue and inflammation.  Since the inflammation is in one leg and not systemic, it's more likely to be caused by something biomechanical, or an injury.  Fatigue can come from a variety of sources, and there are various compounds in the alternative pharmacopoeia that might be helpful. 

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 B_Warned

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

There are no factors in my life that changed or affected my status during those 6 weeks other than taking 1500mg resveratrol daily.  I have no sinus or respiratory conditions and the issue never involved or affected my sense of smell.  I never before in my entire lifetime have had a loss of taste.  My taste function entirely returned to normal in just 4 weeks after stopping resveratrol supplementation. 

In the prostate cell study you reference, the authors conjecture that resveratrol forms a complex with zinc which then enters the cells.  Over 4 to 6 weeks of 1500mg resveratrol daily, the intracellular take-up of that resveratrol-zinc complex is cumulative.  That is, you don't need an extremely high dose of resveratrol all at once for zinc metabolism to be altered by the cumulative presence of a foreign resveratrol-zinc complex.  The Carbonic Anhydrase article very clearly explains the relation between zinc and taste.  There is absolutely no question resveratrol was the cause of my loss of taste. 

Many forum posters probably do not use 99% pure trans-resveratrol because of cost so they are not getting the same high dose of 1500mg of pure resveratrol when they take 500mg "resveratrol" capsules.   Also, the BuhnerHealingLyme author reports that only about 1% of problems mentioned by followers of his lyme disease treatment regimen involve loss of taste, so that only a relatively small percentage of resveratrol users may be susceptible to loss of taste. 

45 mg of zinc is the maximum daily dose recommended by the Linus Pauling Institute to avoid copper issues, plus I also take additional copper supplements to offset the zinc dose.

When I left my auto technician job more than 10 years, I was suffering wide-spread pain in all my limbs and body.  I could barely move.  Now only the pain in my right leg plus the chronic fatigue still persists.  There are a lot of automotive chemicals, detailing chemicals, plus exhaust in an auto shop.  Large diesel vehicles, including fire trucks and utility vehicles, were serviced in that shop in a large closed, poorly ventilated enclosed building, and the diesel techs thought it was funny to fill the entire building up with smoke and diesel fumes with the doors closed.  Dioxins don't disappear.  They form crystals and accumulate.  When many diesel trucks are being serviced daily, those dioxin crystals become a permanent, large hazardous pile of dust that permeates every crevice in the building.  Only a professional environmental cleanup company can remove the toxic dust.  It wasn't until 2012 before anyone even measured the amounts of dioxins, furans, and pvcs from so-called "legacy" diesel engines in an EPA study.  Of all the automotive chemicals in the shop, only dioxin has a half-life long enough to cause my symptoms to persist all these years.  It is a simple process of elimination.  Tests for dioxin presence in the body require a very large blood draw, a specialized laboratory, and are very expensive.  Plus the test values are pretty useless because everybody has some presence of dioxin and there is no safe level of dioxin.  Dioxins are everywhere, including in the food we eat.  There is no effective way to remove dioxins from the body.  Non-absorbable oils in small daily doses, such as Olestra and mineral oil, can help eliminate some of the dioxins over a period of years.  In my case, the hazard was increased because I have self-diagnosed celiac disease.  10 plus years ago my intestinal lining was leaky and my liver was already overworked keeping up with toxin removal.  Dioxins only added to the problem causing a toxin overload.

One other comment:  People who have never experienced the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome do not understand the serious debilitation and multiple symptoms sufferers experience.  Minor tasks become major chores.  One never awakens refreshed from sleep.  Any small muscular exertion to perform a small task or go grocery shopping leaves one totally drained and sometimes bedridden for days.  There is no cure.  There is no diagnostic test.  Sufferers look normal despite the fact they cannot function normally. There are no magic pills to alleviate symptoms.  Medical professionals have been skeptical.  Funding for research has been lacking despite the fact that millions of people are debilitated by the disease.  I am at least partially functional, but my home is a mess and I have many chores I am simply unable to force myself to perform through pain and fatigue despite my desires to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users