- - - - -

An update of the possibly best sunscreens currently available

sunscreen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Qowpel

• 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hello everyone. So let's take a look at the first.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B007RVENMQ

Just as it says, a rating of PA +++ so great UVA protection..... Here's the thing. I ALWAYS thought that UVA protection ratings only went as high as PA +++....

BUT I found a Korean sunscreen which boasts a PA ++++ rating!!! I had no idea this was possible. Here it is!!!

http://www.amazon.co...VK7GYS2WWWN5KAX
AND another version from the same producers

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00SM99KWU

Maybe we should all be jumping in this one right here!!

Now to move on I have found another sunscreen known as ash umbra which boasts a fiver star UVA rating (which I am skeptical about due to this very notion.... That it shows zinc oxide as the main ingredient.... But on top of this.... The other ingredients it boasts are a bunch of botanical antioxidants that I am not sure we can just attribute a full star of protection for UVA to.... You guys think this is the real deal in terms of its claim?

http://www.sunumbra....mbra-sport.html

Now I would like to add some thoughts. First of all, the confusion with La Roche Posay (mostly due to the fact that there is a US version, meaning that THAT version does NOT have the chemical sunscreen ingredients we are looking for when we think of the the European version of la Roche).... The problem is that it is easy to get confused with finding the one with the higher protection (the European version) since the American version visually and physically appears almost identical on the outside.... I have YET to find an online dealer with the LA Roche Posay that is NOT the garbage American version..::

Lastly I would like to propose that perhaps the best sunscreens available to us now (even more effective that amazing ones like Bioderma Max and the European version of La Roche lossy anthelios), are the Korean ones I just listed..... What do you guys think? Do you think the European ones I just typed up have identical protection to these Japanese and Korean ones (regarding UVA protection of course) or do you think we should stick with our anthelios?

Either way, my plan is to do this. To buy the BIORE sunscreen with the PA ++++ rating; and put a high zinc oxide percentage sunscreen on top of it, to then have a very amazing combination for protection...

Lastly, do you think that PA ++++ is too good to be true? Should we actually be ignoring such a claim?

What do you truly think is the best sunscreen out of this bunch based on UVA protection?

#2 Qowpel

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

Also. In addition I'd like to say this. These Japanese sunscreens.... I am not quite sure if their ratings of UVA protection is based solely on ppd... Because if that is so, that concerns me since as Eva has taught us, "ppd is not the last word". Meaning old heavily corresponds to the wavelengths that are Not at the very end of the UVA spectrum.... However zinc oxide and one of the tinosorbs tend to do a good job of that...... My question is can we fully trust that even with these aggressively high PA ++++ scores, that we are getting adequate protection at the 375-400 nm wavelengths in the UVA spectrum?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Heyman

• 207 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

PA++++ just means PPD 16+, so basically the SPF equivalent of 16 for UVA. What the best sunscreen is depends a lot on your definition and the individual person. If you want the best possible protection and you do not care about the aesthetic pleasantness, you'll use some combination of physical and chemical filters and go for the sunscreen with the highest possible PPD, like la Roche Posay. If you want to block some visible light as well, go for non-zano ZnO. You will notice though, that it gets less and less pleasant to wear. I'd rather have a sunscreen that I am willing to wear every single day in the correct amount and that I enjoy wearing even if it does not offer the absolute best protection. Which is why to me personally the Biore UV Aqua Rich ... is currently the best. I'd only consider switching for something equally or more aesthetically pleasing.

I do think PPD is decent. As an example, is a pure ZnO sunscreen with PPD 9 that protects even from some visible light better compared to a PPD 16 sunscreen that protects only up to 390 nm? I don't know, I don't think science is clear on that. Best would be a combination of both. If you want to block out most of the spectrum, you'll use non-nano ZnO, but it gets more and more unpleasant to wear if you're not alone in the forest. You'd also want to add some antioxidants.

Edited by Heyman, 04 April 2016 - 11:09 AM.

• Informative x 2

#4 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

Biore UV Aqua Rich has alcohol in it, which is absolutely horrible for the skin, and ages it prematurely. I bought that product and I couldn't figure out why my skin was so irritated and why my skin looked so tired and weak all the time until I thoroughly examined Biore's ingredients. Never again. Personally, the best sunscreen I have found has been Shiseido's new sunscreen for kids and sensitive skin, Shiseido SPF 50+ Sun Protection Lotion for Sensitive Skin & Children. This has no alchohol (which Shiseido sunscreen usually has) and is high in zinc oxide and non greasy. The only thing I would say is that with any zinc oxide, which has to be at a high pH in order to do it's job properly, you have to use an intensive moisturizer underneath every time you apply and reapply.

#5 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I have not tried this Shiseido sunscreen but another physical sunscreen of Shiseido. 

No whitecast & I do doubt if it is of nano zinc oxide (same as other Japanese sunscreens)

http://shop.nordstro...-spf-50/4268722

Ingredients

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 9.1%. Zinc Oxide 19.3%.

Inactive Ingredients: Dimethicone, Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Bis-Butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Peg-6, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Peg-32, Peg/Ppg-14/7 Dimethyl Ether, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Thymus Serpillum Extract, Aluminum Distearate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Isostearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Hydrated Silica, Sodium Metaphosphate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Stearic Acid, Dextrin Palmitate, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Tocopherol, Syzygium Jambos Leaf Extract.

#6 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

I was at one point earlier this year looking for a decent Tinosorb sunscreen without alcohol and not tested on animals but I gave up! Presently I use a combo of chemical & physical sunscreens which I think is effective. 

I was looking at this Zinc O sunscreen as a possible purchase (Next time i'm in the U.S)

Drunk Elephant SPF 30 Sunscreen (20% Zinc O)

Drunk Elephant SPF 30 Umbra Sheer Physical Defense Sunscreen

Edited by bosharpe, 10 May 2016 - 06:19 PM.

#7 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

@happy lemon - The shiseido I mentioned definitely has a white cast. Still could mean it is nano though. Something to look into...

@bosharpe - Just remember not to combine avobenzone and zinc oxide as the combination causes free radical damage (or something of the sort - in short, it's a bad combo).

#8 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

@happy lemon - The shiseido I mentioned definitely has a white cast. Still could mean it is nano though. Something to look into...

@bosharpe - Just remember not to combine avobenzone and zinc oxide as the combination causes free radical damage (or something of the sort - in short, it's a bad combo).

Damm! I thought there wasn't an issue with combining these two?

I watched this and must of got the wrong impression - https://www.youtube....h?v=GcpBKpIXvm8

I usually use chemical for the lower half of my face and physical for the upper half. before there was a slight over lap but now I'm applying the chemical, waiting 20 minutes and then apply the Zinc O sunscreen.

Any suggestions if not combining these two ingredients? 

#9 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

Yes, you are correct that nano could have a white cast.

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 05:50 AM

Why aren't their any reviews of Sunumbra sun screens like, anywhere on the internet?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunscreen

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users