• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

[mfoundation] New protein injection reverses Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice in just one week Human trials are not far off.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ImmInst

• Admin, Director robot
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

New protein injection reverses Alzheimer’s symptoms in mice in just one week

Human trials are not far off.

BEC CREW
21 APR 2016
mouse-model-alzheimers_1024

Researchers have discovered that an injection of a protein called IL-33 can reverse Alzheimer’s-like symptoms and cognitive decline in mice, restoring their memory and cognitive function to the same levels as healthy mice in the space of one week.

Mice bred to develop a progressive Alzheimer’s-like disease as they aged (called APP/PS1 mice) were given daily injections of the protein, and it appeared to not only clear out the toxic amyloid plaques that are thought to trigger Alzheimer’s in humans, it also prevented more from forming.‌‌

“IL-33 is a protein produced by various cell types in the body and is particularly abundant in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord),” says lead researcher, Eddy Liew from the University of Glasgow in the UK. “We found that injection of IL-33 into aged APP/PS1 mice rapidly improved their memory and cognitive function to that of the age-matched normal mice within a week.”

Before we go any further, we should make it clear that these results are restricted to mice only, and at this stage, we have no idea if they will translate at all in humans with Alzheimer’s.

And the odds aren’t great – one study put successful translation of positive results in mice to humans at a rate of about 8 percent, so we can never get too excited until we see how things fare in human trials.

To read more at the original post, CLICK HERE

View the full article
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 Jochen

• 157 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

yeah this is amazingly promising.

I contacted the department; and the professor has brought in venture capital and no more research will be done in Glasgow.

The phase 1 trials are likely to take place in Harvard, but that is not 100% sure yet.

I have set up a a google alert, to stay on top of this.

I've also written an email to the professor and I hope that he can disclose timelines and next steps once everything is a bit more clear.

• like x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

Any more developments on this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users