Coconut Oil

coconut oil good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

As a regular user of Coconut Oil I thought this would be of interest to other like myself:

http://www.huffingto..._b_9856958.html

I've stopped using a teaspoon per day and moved the jar out of the cupboard and into the bathroom :) 

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

What a load of b......t both ways!

A grain of salt would help more than a table spoon of coconut oil for sure!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

Just in case you forgot, saturated fats are the things that raise your LDL-cholesterol (bad) and raise your risk of heart disease (very bad).

Seems the author (who is an apparent registered nutritionist) is basing all of her article on erroneous data. Oopsy.

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Pretty juvenile article for someone with a PhD.  I wonder what it takes to get a PhD in Nutritional Sciences.  She doesn't seem to really understand the molecular mechanics involved in MCTs.  I don't think I would use Coconut oil and I don't eat bacon, but MCT seems OK to me (until proven otherwise).

Edited by prophets, 12 May 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#5 bosharpe

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

What a load of b......t both ways!

A grain of salt would help more than a table spoon of coconut oil for sure!

Load of 'B..........t'? Which swear word starts with 'B' and ends with 'T'?

#6 bosharpe

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

Pretty juvenile article for someone with a PhD.  I wonder what it takes to get a PhD in Nutritional Sciences.  She doesn't seem to really understand the molecular mechanics involved in MCTs.  I don't think I would use Coconut oil and I don't eat bacon, but MCT seems OK to me (until proven otherwise).

Interesting, thanks for your reply. This is where I get caught out tbh. When it comes to looking for the best ingredients I'm reliant on word of mouth, forums and blogs instead of understanding the science myself. It's a fast track method.

#7 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

Coconut oil has nutritional value. Unlike refined polyunsaturated vegetable oil. It also makes you feel satiated because it is something you can 'eat'. I also thought the link between saturated fat intake and cholesterol levels was debunked ages ago. Very poorly written as determined by the use of prejudice and opinion and not professional or factual

#8 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

I think coconut-oil has a fatty-acid composition that reflects the composition of human-fat, unlike soybean or corn oils.

http://www.longecity...f-common-foods/

Edited by misterE, 20 May 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

Sounds like it's based on state-of-the-art 1970's science. They tried to dumb down lipid chemistry by sorting fatty acids according to unsaturation number and putting black and white hats on them as if human biochemistry was a spaghetti western.

It didn't work. But once you institutionalize science, the backpedaling is painfully slow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coconut oil, good or bad?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users