CBS 60 Minutes and Aubrey 1/1/06

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

From CBS 60 Minutes website
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMMORTALITY – Some doctors believe with medical breakthroughs on the horizon, humans can live much longer lives. Morley Safer reports. Bruce Ferguson is the producer.

http://www.cbsnews.c...main13502.shtml

Aubrey, Kurzweil, Olshansky and Sell really will appear on Sunday, 7pm ET/PT

fire up your TIVOs!

#2 Da55id

• Topic Starter
  • 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

Looking for suggestions on getting the word out...already working with Instapundit, Kurzweil, Foresight Institute and X Prize Foundation...other suggestons that can happen in less than a few days?

thanks,
Dave

#3 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

Is there a more in-depth page regarding this? If we had a link to a video preview or a small blurb (bigger than the very brief info they give on their page) then we can post it on Digg.com and Slashdot.org. Since the story is combined with the story on the space race, it might do well.

Also, I would mention this on the Mprize website.

I like what is said here:

60 Minutes is planning three stories about beginning anew this New Year's Day. We'll meet again the man who is revolutionizing space travel. With his plan, we'll all able to travel into space, provided we can pay for the ticket. We'll also take a look at new medical research that may lead to people living much longer lives than we ever thought possible, maybe even 400 or 500 years. And we'll travel with former President Bill Clinton, who talks about his fight against the AIDS epidemic. Sunday at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Sounds like a promising start. Three big stories at once. I'm sure some people will be watching for the Clinton story alone.

#4 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

Yes, we definitely want to find a way to hook Slashdot on this. They've been giving us the cold shoulder, but this is pretty big. 60 minutes isn't some fringe TV show on NPR, or some podcast. It's not even the Daily Show, which, while reporting the real news, does so in satire and caricature.

No, this is one of the most respected news programs in the world. They don't cover stories because they think they're funny and will make the audience go "Wow, what a bunch of nut-jobs". Well, they might if they were covering a cult. But the wording on the website implies this is a serious piece.

My point is, it would be irresponsible for Slashdot to ignore this. A submission which ties in the fact that the MPrize already has $1.5 million in cash, far outpacing the successful X-Prize, combined with one of its founders appearing in a 60 minutes piece on the subject, might just get taken up. If not, then at least a submission dealing strictly with the show itself might get taken.

But like Joel said, we need something better to link to. If there's nothing on the 60 Minutes website, then perhaps we need something up at MPrize.org?

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

I hate 60 minutes. I can't believe they are going back to Clinton worship to get viewers. However, it is awesome they are covering Aubrey. It will be the first time I watch in many many years. I'll try to get the word out.

#6 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

Hey, I help out where I can:
http://www.dragongos...5&i=2191&t=2191

:)

#7 Da55id

• Topic Starter
  • 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

purpose bred for the show - see:
http://www.methuselahfoundation.org/

this is the "link to" page

#8 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

Another thing we badly need is someone to capture the show to MP4 or whatever and get it to me ASAP -- I have no way to watch it here in the UK :-( Anyone here with the wherewithal?

I'm not too worried about /. this time really -- I think we've probably reached the bulk of the geek community already. Each time I've been mentioned there, the spike of hits to my site was half the size of the previous time. But it certainly wouldn't hurt!

#9 Da55id

• Topic Starter
  • 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

I'm a geek - and I've been reached!

• Lurker

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

It may appear here:

http://www.cbsnews.c...num=10&offset=0

I had a look at the teaser and it looks sensational. Aubrey sounds authoritative and respectable. The Mprize gets huge coverage.

The teaser URL:

http://video.cgi.cbs...dart=news.video

#11 lightowl

• Guest, F@H
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:45 AM

I took the liberty to record the teaser to a file. This looks set to be a huge deal.

TEASER FILE

#12 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:57 AM

Thanks lightowl,

Yes, this is a huge deal.

Several newspaper reports of Nielsen Media Rankings, for the week of Dec. 5 to 11, indicate that CBS 60-minutes was watched by 19.7 million viewers..

At the end of 2003, the median age of 60-Minutes viewers was 59.7 years, according to The MediaLife Magazine.

This age of ~60 years nearly centers the age groups that control the wealth.

Judging from the sponsors of 60-Minutes, (primarily pharmaceutical companies), people at this age are concerned with their health and probably their survivorship.

So, this has potential for significant effects relative to our cause.

#13 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:09 AM

My point is, it would be irresponsible for Slashdot to ignore this.

Perhaps a rumor of Aubrey buying up Opera might make it happen.

Jokes about slashdot, which I actually do rather like, aside.... This really is pretty fantastic news. I think I'd be a bit happier if it were only Aubrey. I love Kurzweil, but I can almost hear the audience at best groaing "science fiction" if he starts talking about AI, and at worst getting scared. On the other hand, scared would mean talking about the subject. And just getting a debate of that nature out there would be pretty significant too. In any case though, I'd still say that I'm hoping on a focus regarding current research and near term goals.

#14 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:28 AM

I gave slashdot a prod about Aubrey on 60 minutes, as well as www.singularitychallenge.com

#15 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

It seems that 60 Minutes highlights their previously aired episodes more than their upcoming ones. (The Beirut story for example)
So, perhaps an effort can be made to lure people to their site even after the program airs.

And yes, Aubrey, I will record the episode and do what I can to compress the video down for you. I will also (quietly) make it available to those who ask me for it.

#16 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

Ok, it's been mentioned on Digg. If you're registered there, please digg it.
http://digg.com/scie...ve_Indefinitely

#17 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone. Ray tells me that he's been told that his interview will not be included in the show, in fact - which of course means I have no clue what hit 2 from the search URL that prometheus gave came from... left hand right hand, whatever. Slightly nervous that Ray and I were described once as "true believers" in that segment -- ah well, hoping for the best. Joel - fantastic, massive thanks - how long do you expect it to take you to generate the video file after the segment ends?

#18 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

Well, I can encode the video directly into the computer while it airs to save time. The compression can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes (depending on how big the segment is and how picky you are about file format & quality). The only real trick would be how to get it to you. Email is limited, so that leaves a direct connection to you somehow or I'd post it to my site and send you a link to download it.

The program airs at 7pm ET (midnight your time), so if you can stay up til around 2am, we should be good.

#19 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:30 PM

Post it on ImmInst also, I don't think anyone wants to miss this one!

#20 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:13 PM

Hi Aubrey et al. This should be interesting to be sure, and I've been told that a copy of the segment will be mailed to me (us) after it airs. You'll be able to view it on their website after Sunday. However, the interview took place so long ago (last May) that I don't quite recall what was said. I do remember that in the back of my mind during the interview (and often in the front of my mind) was the tragic loss of my friend, colleague, and co-author, Doug Passaro, who passed away in his sleep at age 42 just 36 hours before the interview. What I did discuss with the producer up front was that the entire interview would be frank but respectful (Aubrey and Ray are my friends after all) -- I think I achieved that. By the way, keep your eyes open for the March issue of The Scientist -- you're in for a shocking (pleasant) surprise!!!
S. Jay Olshansky

#21 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Well, the interviews might have been in May, but they've still been keeping somewhat current. The screenshot of the MPrize.org home page was taken in mid-November, based on the prize size shown in the teaser.

#22 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:48 PM

Sometimes these things are in the can for a long time, waiting for sweeps (intense rating periods that determine ad revenue), or in this case, to promote it as "new breakthroughs" for the "new year." But I suspect that they didn't start taking this seriously until the MPrize got so big later in the year.

Ugh, 9:45am. Time to go to bed. :)

#23 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:11 PM

Hey, we need to get this up on the ImmInst homepage. I'll mention this in leadership.

#24 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

Yes, I agree.

This is going to be way way cool.

#25 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

JMorgan: you can handle requests to post the segment? You expect that I'll be able to see the segment, just by following instructions from you?

#26 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:56 AM

Yes, considering this is copyrighted material, I will not broadcast the location. It will be available for those who ask its location. Then again, I heard that CBS puts up their own video online after the program airs.

#27 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:37 AM

awesome,More great news from the frontline [thumb] This will increase awareness substantially for sure, to those of you who where interviewed;aubrey,jay, ray, was there any mention of worthwhile web propaganda? such as this site? MMprize? because this will increase awareness in the long run significantly.

sorry about your freind jay.

In the scientist you wouldn't happen to say that humans will live for 10,000 years before 2100 would you? [tung] . wishful thinking.

#28 sjayo

• 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 05:48 AM

Karomesis
There was mention of the MMPrize. I remember being asked about it -- whether any of that discussion appears in the segment, well, I guess we'll find out on Sunday. I don't recall my response, but if asked today, I would probably say I would prefer a MHPrize (H = human). The Scientist article will surely get your attention!!
S. Jay Olshansky

#29 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:16 AM

sounds good jay, I'm looking forward to a great start to the new year with all this, BTW, is the scientist on sale at barnes and noble in the US?

#30 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:25 AM

I just heard from my mother that she watched a program on CNN earlier tonight that dealt with long-lived mice and scientists being asked if significant life-extension was in the cards in the near future to which the scientist said that healthspans of 100 were definitely possible. If that's the case, I wonder if they are playing off the upcoming story on 60 minutes. Nice to think that the meme was that infective.

Anyone catch the CNN spot?

(btw.. my mom's an Mprize Three Hundred Member.. :) so she's on the look-out for stuff like this for me... )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users