Rejuvenation for Pets (or Conan is old)

pets treatments anti-aging disease

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

I have been working to advance radical life extension for more than a decade. About 10 years ago, the thought occurred to me that I might be able to help save and/or rejuvenate my cat Conan. I figured pet treatments might arrive before human treatments because there is less regulation. I realize there are some very expensive experimental treatments some people are trying right now, but nothing viable for Conan. I can't go to my local vet office and get a rejuvenation treatment for a couple hundred dollars.

Well, he is now 17 years old, frail, one bad eye, and has low kidney function. I am well aware that there are some supplements that might perk him up or theoretically slow down his aging by a tiny bit, but does anyone know of anything more substantial that could help out an old pet. I figure if he can hold out for another year or two, some rejuvenation therapies might arrive. And yes, I realize cryonics is an option, but that is relatively expensive as well.

Attached is a picture of Conan in his younger years.

Attached Files

#2 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 04:09 AM

Try C60/OO.  It was working wonders for my 14 year old Chessie.  Unfortunately, after an initial, obvious, boost to his health and vigor it seemed to taper off and I discontinued.  Now I'm thinking about a reorder, but honestly it's probably too late.  With cold weather coming, he's already having trouble standing after even a 1/4 mile walk.

17 is pretty darn good for a cat as well!

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:06 AM

Try injecting it with cycloastragenol or epitalon. I think considering its age it has nothing to lose

#4 Florian Xavier

• 242 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

alendronate ( http://www.medscape....warticle/868919 )

#5 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

Rapamycin. It's all I hear about lately. There are studies going right now for humans and dogs. It sounds pretty amazing.

#6 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

Rapamycin. It's all I hear about lately. There are studies going right now for humans and dogs. It sounds pretty amazing.

Yes, Rapamycin seems that is a good path, for dogs at least.

Here is a recent article:

http://futurism.com/...-pill-for-dogs/

http://edition.cnn.c...nger/index.html

http://dogagingproject.com/research/

https://www.acs.org/.../rapamycin.html

I hope they extend the Dog Aging Project to cats and other pets (and humans obviously).

While Rapamycin is not "reverse aging" that we are hoping for, it is better than nothing we have so far.

I hope that Indunn Tech, ( http://idunntechnologies.com/en/aging/ ) and CohBar ( http://cohbar.com/ ) were more advanced with their work, so our pets can start benefiting.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Agreed looks like a good time to try rapamycin

#8 bbminded

• 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

My cat growing up lived to be 23yo before falling asleep and drifting away. Nothing outta the usual though regarding life extension

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#9 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:42 AM

Nicotinamide riboside, it revived the energy level in my aging parents. It all starts from metabolism...

#10 orion602

• 83 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

Maybe a blood or plasma transfusion from very young cat could help, at least according to results of some studies. But this research is still in early experimental phase and I guess unlikely to be widely available and cheap anytime soon, even for pets.

If it was my cat, i would definitely try c60OO

And also i would look into something to prevent kidney failure (diet, reducing potential inflammation, etc)

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:35 AM

One thing you could try that would be honest-to-god rejuvenation would be senescent cell clearance.  We have a group buy going on at the moment for Dasatinib, and Anthony might still have some liposomal quercetin.  For a cat of Conan's age, this would be untrod ground, but I think this is the real deal.  I'll be trying it on myself one of these days.

#12 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to try some of the suggestions.

Conan is still plugging along.

I think he could use a new kidney, but I don't know if there are any cat kidney donation networks (like there is in humans).

#13 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

Try C60/OO.  It was working wonders for my 14 year old Chessie.  Unfortunately, after an initial, obvious, boost to his health and vigor it seemed to taper off and I discontinued.  Now I'm thinking about a reorder, but honestly it's probably too late.  With cold weather coming, he's already having trouble standing after even a 1/4 mile walk.

I actually tried this with another elderly cat: http://www.longecity...elderly-feline/

It was really just a "shot in the dark" with a pet suffering from a serious illness (probably some sort-of organ failure/disease). n=1 study. No conclusive result. Best I could say is that there was no short-term severe toxicity from C60oo.

I started giving Conan NAD+ a couple of weeks ago. No noticeable change in his condition. The best I can say from this n=1 study is that there is no obvious short term severe toxicity from NAD+

#14 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

I actually tried this with another elderly cat: http://www.longecity...elderly-feline/

It was really just a "shot in the dark" with a pet suffering from a serious illness (probably some sort-of organ failure/disease). n=1 study. No conclusive result. Best I could say is that there was no short-term severe toxicity from C60oo.

I started giving Conan NAD+ a couple of weeks ago. No noticeable change in his condition. The best I can say from this n=1 study is that there is no obvious short term severe toxicity from NAD+

May I ask what dosing amount? Also when you say NAD+ what pre-curser are you using?

#15 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

I am giving Conan about 25mg every other day. The product is Niagen.

#16 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Now into the pallative care stage. Maybe NAD+ gave him a little boost in energy, but nothing dramatic.

Interesting how animals decline very similar to very old people. Lose coordination, can't swallow well, lose muscle mass/weight, lose eyesight and hearing, lose appetite. At least Conan has not lost control of his bowel movements or bladder.

Always a sad situation. Keep plugging away everyone. Maybe soon we will have better therapies for people and pets.

#17 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:43 PM

Now into the pallative care stage. Maybe NAD+ gave him a little boost in energy, but nothing dramatic.

Interesting how animals decline very similar to very old people. Lose coordination, can't swallow well, lose muscle mass/weight, lose eyesight and hearing, lose appetite. At least Conan has not lost control of his bowel movements or bladder.

Always a sad situation. Keep plugging away everyone. Maybe soon we will have better therapies for people and pets.

I am sorry to hear :-(

The NR conversion indeed points to 25mg / day.

Edited by stefan_001, 22 January 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#18 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. I've had one or more cats for as long as I can remember, and it is horribly sad when they pass away. I have a very old cat right now who isn't doing fantastic.

I wonder if cats have any allergic reaction to broccoli? If not, I wonder if there is anyway you could get him to consume some broccoli extract or sulforaphane?

The NR was a good idea. Alpha Lipoic Acid *might* be another good idea, but you should do some research to see if it is toxic to cats or mammals other than humans.

#19 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

https://www.research...ns_dogs_or_rats

ALA doesn't look like a good idea. It is toxic to cats and dogs -- although to a lesser extent.

Edited by mrkosh1, 22 January 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#20 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

I'm sorry about your cat. I've lost many through the years.a shame you couldn't get him some Rapamycin.

#21 Oakman

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of Conan's condition. It's so difficult as cats age, and truly sad.

The only supplement I have ever used on a cat is for our Eva, a black Bombay. At age 5, she developed iris melanosis, a progressive coloring of the eye that has the potential to develop into ocular melanoma.  So for the last 7 yrs, she has received a small daily dose of Curcumin in her food (me too). We have always used one of the 'enhanced' version of curcumin (but no peperine), mixed with some liquid lecithin, then mixed in the wet food. Thorne Research has a full line of supplements, some good for cats > https://www.thorne.c...s/animal-health

Nothing in Eva's condition has progressed, so whether it is the Curcumin or not, I do not know. But it certainly has not hurt her either.

http://healthypets.m...2/turmeric.aspx

#22 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

RIP Conan - 23, January 2017. 18 years old. He had a good life and did not suffer. He did not have any definitive disease, just died of "old age".

#23 Oakman

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've lost so many beautiful feline friends like your Conan over the years, it brings tears to my eyes thinking how much it hurts. Remember the good times. Peace to Conan.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#24 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your family member. I've had so many pass away. It never gets easier and you don't forget them. Currently working with a cat 14 who has either developed diabetes or pancreatic insufficiency.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pets, treatments, anti-aging, disease

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users