• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Clinical trial - 20 blood samples required, is it safe?

blood sample safety clinical trial

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToJump

• 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

I'm a healthy male in his early 20s. Healthy BMI.

There is a clinical study available that offers a reasonable compensation for a safe drug. However, a total of 20 blood samples need to be taken. I'd like to know how safe this is? One time I got two blood tests done 1 week apart (both on the inner left elbow), and it seemed like it took a month before the spots didn't felt painful at all, hence my concern.
Also, do clinical trials take blood sample from the same spot (e.g. the elbow) or they usually switch them up? I'll call to ask of course, but if anybody has experience/info please let me know.

By the way, if this is the wrong section of the forum, feel free to move this thread to a more appropriate section.

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

I had 10 taken at once this left me vomiting and nauseous

#3 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

In hospital I gave a blood sample every day for about 10 days. Taken from a different spot each time. You get used to it. You can ask nurse to take from different area if you want, just need a reasonable vein. One nurse even did it from the cannula but to be honest it was a bit of a hassle and quite painful.
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

How do you know this drug is safe? Clinical trails are done in phases to determine that, but even FDA approved drugs are not safe for everyone.

Phase I: Researchers test a new drug or treatment in a small group of people for the first time to evaluate its safety, determine a safe dosage range, and identify side effects.

Phase II: The drug or treatment is given to a larger group of people to see if it is effective and to further evaluate its safety.

Phase III: The drug or treatment is given to large groups of people to confirm its effectiveness, monitor side effects, compare it to commonly used treatments, and collect information that will allow the drug or treatment to be used safely.

Phase IV: Studies are done after the drug or treatment has been marketed to gather information on the drug's effect in various populations and any side effects associated with long-term use.

#5 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:22 PM

Taking part in clinical trials is a great gift to science and hopefully to life extension.  

However, 20x standard samples is something that should be considered. It is quite safe but not pleasant if you bruise easily. It is something that the ethics committee and the research designers would have thought about carefully- that sampling frequency can have an effect on compliance.

It all depends of course on the time period and volumes taken.   

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

Have beautiful veins for blood draws, and it usually never hurts at all. However, just recently a hasty nurse did really hurt and wasn't able to get any blood on that spot. And used the other armpit instead. However the hurt lasted only a couple of minutes for me.

So it depends on your veins, a precise blood-draw from someone experienced, to make this not a bad experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users