• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) & Fatigue (CFS) – Can you help interpret my results & approach?

ebv cfs epstein-barr virus valtrex ldn low dose naltrexone inflammation anti-inflammatory fatigue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

I've been experiencing symptoms of fatigue and need help interpreting my blood results and approach.

I'm not incapacitated from energy decrements, but I find myself being able to sleep for 10+ hours, for weeks on end, without feeling refreshed, and still needing a mid afternoon nap (which I feel exhausted from). I know I sleep well because I've gotten a sleep study done and use an EEG in my home on occasion, which validates my sleep efficiency. I also experience brain fog, poor concentration compared to my "former self", and a poor memory. The only thing that has me feeling normal is low dose stimulants, like ritalin or adderall; I would prefer to avoid these if at all possible.

I'm in very good physical shape and eat "clean" (more on this below). I've had many blood tests done over the years and nothing came up as suspect (all #s have been optimal), until we finally tested for viruses. I'm clear of everything except EBV, which seems to be quite high, though, I don't know what typical numbers for an active infection are. Can you help me interpret?

EBV, Chronic/Active Infection

EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG = 20.4 (Reference 0.0 - 8.9)

EBC Ab VCA, IgG = 550.0 (Reference 0.0 - 17.9)

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG = 569.0 (Reference 0-17.9)

I've taken the following approach over the past week:

1. Increased dosage of Vitamin D + K2 + A from 3,000 IU to 10,000. I'm also getting more sunlight.

2. I've begun taking 3 grams of AHCC, split up into an AM & PM dose

3. Yesterday I received a prescription for Valtrex. It's only 10 days for now, but my doctor is reviewing materials I've sent her for longer term administration.

4. I'll be receiving Low Dose Naltrexone soon and intend to take 1 - 4.5mg of LDN each night.

I already eat a very balanced, "clean", ketogenic diet replete with green veggies, avocado, grass fed meats, seafood, coconut products, etc. I also supplement with Thorne's AM/PM multi, mitochondrial support supplements (Idebenone, ALCAR, R-ALA, PQQ, etc.) and natural anti inflammatories (Longvida Curcumin, fish oil, etc.).

I prefer to take a shotgun approach and knock it out sooner than later if that's possible.

Can you help me to interpret my results relative to typical "active" levels, my approach and what I can expect?

Thank you so much!

Edited by NeuroGeneration, 24 November 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#2 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 06:55 AM

The results indicate that at some point in the past, you've had mono, which is caused by EBV. Similar results would be seen in most adults. Quoting from the CDC:

Since over 90% of adults have been infected with EBV, most adults will show antibodies to EBV from infection years earlier. High or elevated antibody levels may be present for years and are not diagnostic of recent infection.

The only way to tell whether an infection is active or not is to measure Anti-VCA IgM, which is not shown in those test results. 

Now, it's true that EBV infection is linked to chronic fatigue syndrome -- but to be clear, your results are totally normal for anyone who had the EBV infection within the recent years. They don't prove that's what you have, but they do raise a bit of concern, considering the fact that your symptoms are pretty reminiscent of CFS.

You don't seem depressed, so it's probably not regular MDD -- but you might want to check out the possibility of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Lots of people have mild forms of it and they don't notice significant changes in mood during the winter, but there are changes in sleep patterns, appetite, and focus. If your brain fog and oversleeping started or got noticeably worse when daylight savings time ended, SAD is almost a shoo-in. (On a side note, I think the condition needs to be renamed because depression doesn't even happen until it starts becoming severe, and lots of people have the seasonal changes but never get sick enough to become depressed.)

If that's not it, you'll have to look into the possibility of CFS. I hate to bring it up as a possbility, but it merits consideration. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

I got epstein Barr in 1999 (three days after a hep B vaccine, but let's not go there) I suffered for 6-12 weeks.

sadly I drank lots of sweet fruit juices thinking it would help.

I was left with quite strong fatigue which lasted for another 18 months, but this returned in 2009, and twice in 2015.

The first time I was taken down with quite sudden neurological issues that I thought were low dopamine, tyrosine did help them actually.

I now appear to have rheumatoid arthritis that comes with its own fatigue but it's very on again off again.

My mother also had chronic fatigue but much much worse than I do/did.

I havent heard of CFS remitting and coming back the way mine does but the initial onset was certainly related to the epstein barr incident 

Anyway I have found 3 things beneficial 

Creatine(usually taken before you do something physical)  

Nicotinimide Riboside/pterostillbene

Quercitin

Prior to taking the NR if I did any sort of exercise, like walking to the letterbox, I'd pay for it the next day with headaches and fatigue that would have me glued to the bed.  

I'm also taking curcumin (meriva) krill oil and ECGCs but these are aimed at inflammation.

You might find benefit in doing some of the wim hof exercises too ( cold showers and breathing) at worst it will make you more resistant to feeling like crap.

Good luck, hope you come right

#4 Hip

• 2,357 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

Quoting NeuroGeneration: "I've had many blood tests done over the years and nothing came up as suspect (all #s have been optimal), until we finally tested for viruses. I'm clear of everything except EBV"

You symptoms sound like myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), which is associated with a number of viruses, including Epstein-Barr virus, enterovirus (coxsackievirus B and echovirus), HHV-6, cytomegalovirus and parvovirus B19.

If you have active infections with any of these, they could be behind your ME/CFS symptoms. 

Most of these viruses can be tested at any good lab; however, coxsackievirus B and echovirus can only be reliably tested using the neutralization tests performed at ARUP Lab (though possibly an immunofluorescence assay (IFA) test may suffice).

More info: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome — A Roadmap For Testing And Treatment

Edited by Hip, 30 November 2016 - 07:10 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 NeuroGeneration

• Topic Starter
  • 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:21 AM

Any thoughts on my plan? As a reminder:

1. Increased dosage of Vitamin D + K2 + A from 3,000 IU to 10,000. I'm also getting more sunlight.

2. I've begun taking 3 grams of AHCC, split up into an AM & PM dose

3. Yesterday I received a prescription for Valtrex. It's only 10 days for now, but my doctor is reviewing materials I've sent her for longer term administration.

4. I'll be receiving Low Dose Naltrexone soon and intend to take 1 - 4.5mg of LDN each night.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ebv, cfs, epstein-barr, virus, valtrex, ldn, low dose naltrexone, inflammation, anti-inflammatory, fatigue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users