Psilocybin in the news, wonder drug?

depression anxiety

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

The news last night mentioned how single dose can cure depression and anxiety.

Here is a link. https://www.google.c...roid-att-aio-us

Looks like it's a controlled substance. Any other legal sources besides magic mushrooms?
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

AS far as I know, it's only in certain mushrooms.  But the mushrooms grow wild in all 50 States if you know how to ID them. (www.mushroomexpert.com). 

A girl in Ohio required a liver transplant after eating the wrong kind of mushroom.

They have even been found growing in New York City.  

Supposedly the spores are available on the Dark Web (Tor browser).

There is a researcher at U of Florida claims it activates neural stem cells, at 1/5 the hallucinogenic dose. 

The law varies in different states.  In some the spores are legal, because they do not contain psilocybin.  Some people have beaten charges because the police failed to prove the mushrooms contained psilocybin. 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

A girl in Ohio required a liver transplant after eating the wrong kind of mushroom

When I lived in Missouri, there 1-2 similar cases per year. Some of those kids didn't make it.
  • Good Point x 2

#4 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:17 PM

yikes so those kids collect them in the wild without knowledge thinking they are psychedelic? kind of silly isnt it. how come this stuff is so hard to find the normal way, i cant believe its so difficult and forbidden for the general population

#5 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

Vacation in Amsterdam.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:11 AM

They are sold at markets in Mexico. 

An acquaintance of mine, was riding a bus in Mexico with friends, when the bus broke down climbing a steep hill.  While waiting for the rescue bus, they noticed several species of Psilocybe mushrooms growing near the road.  They gathered as many as they could.  Later at the hotel they spread their finds on a bed and proceeded to ....

#7 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

that's exactly how the studies work: one dose, once (mostly for legal purposes).  it's tricky to grow strong stuff, and it's way less discreet than paper.  they concluded 200mcg was sort of a sweet spot.  although if you're doing this just a few times a decade, no harm in double dipping, or more.. ala chinacat72 style.  200mcg is also more than most would try on their first time.  i think mine was closer to 160 or 180, and i nominate that dose for the craziest mind warp and most uncontrolled laughter in an evening awards.  i definitely felt more mindful in the weeks after, but it was not permanent.  i tried to get the effects back by taking it more often.. maybe that's where i screwed up.  or maybe the therapeutic effect increases with dose and frequency, and i'm doing just fine.

i've eaten the weakest and strongest fungus. 7 strains, including cubes, cyans, and azures.  the weaker stuff has more deleterious effects.  but i've found it hard to tell LSD from shrooms from mescaline.  they all have a similar cerebral clairvoyant feel, and depending on your attitude, either a nostalgic, reflective mood or more of a carefree, introspective one.  the visuals are also hard to tell apart, especially to the novice.. shrooms send flashes of light to your periphery and have softer, more globulous visuals.  i also don't get a metallic taste in my mouth/throat from shrooms.  speaking of those, i once downed a quarter ounce of danks and it lasted a full euphoric 11 hours (including 40 minutes of excruciating nausea), but it was also a lot of sitting around or laying down on mother earth to do some close-eyed soul searching.  600mcg was a lot more pacing around, anxious, even manic.  it went for 17, but i was sapped by the 3rd hr mark!

• like x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#8 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:59 AM

guys!

instead of searching and eventually eating a toxic shroom, try LSD.

and if you really want to change your life and personality, try DMT.

good luck

#9 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

Where do get these things. I have no clue.
  • Good Point x 1

#10 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

how is lsd any safer? how do you know who produced the lsd and if it contains the proper ingredients in correct order? you can screw up with some mushroom or lsd unless there is some certification and control of them so *sigh* give up no point

#11 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

there is also the psilocin analogue, 4-aco-dmt, that is technically illegal but still widely available for purchase due to its relatively unenforceable legality status.

• Informative x 1

#12 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:27 AM

shrooms arent less safe, they just don't feel as clear-headed.  nor was DMT a life or value changer for me.  a friend tried 4-aco off the darkweb, insists it is less of a chaotic trip, less mind/ego fuck, more visuals. more like 2C-E than psilocin.  you can get so many things on the darkweb.  i haven't been on there in forever, but in 2014 a child with a bank account could buy any domination from 1 hit all the way up to 2000.  there was liquid for a while, and even a 10mg crystal listing at one point.

it's not important to know who produced the lsd.  even if it was 50% impurities, it's not going to cause side effects (due to the low dose).  same goes for the mushrooms, they may be weak but not toxic.  like prescription meds that expire, they just lose potency, they are not known to oxidize into carcinogenic species or anything like that

Edited by gamesguru, 04 December 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#13 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

from my experience, 4-acd-dmt has less nausea inducing effects and overall less of a body load than mushrooms, but other than that is pretty much indistinguishable.

the primary issue with RCs is that there is essentially no 3rd party testing done on any of them to ascertain purity and chemical identification, so you really only have vendor credibility to go off of when purchasing and trust that x-labelled chem is actually what you paid for.

• like x 1

#14 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:39 AM

well i'm not too sure, but i think isolated psilocin has less of a body load than mushies, suggesting the presence of other nasties.  i'm also not convinced the mental effects are the same.  it takes a good memory and focused perception over the course of several experiences to pick up on the subtle differences.

and the whole problem with fake drugs is why you stick with good old lsd.  it's hard to imitate.  people are just always looking to try something new, or sometimes lsd is just too intense for them 

a vendor would quickly lose his reputation if he tried to pawn some knockoff RC on the discerning hivemind.  they (gammagoblin, houseofspirit, jesusofrave, tessellated) make a good profit on legitimate crystal.. their only legitimate concern is where the next sack of ergotamine is coming from.  and that's perhaps why you see them closing shop from time to time, no doubt coinciding with time spent in belize

• WellResearched x 1
  • like x 1

#15 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:34 AM

there is also the psilocin analogue, 4-aco-dmt, that is technically illegal but still widely available for purchase due to its relatively unenforceable legality status.

Thanks for the idea. I searched for 4-aco-dmt and came across this very informative and recent discussion triggered by the same news:

https://news.ycombin...tem?id=13085064

i'm still a bit uneasy about purchasing online something that is not 100% legal. I have that fear that the outfit is possibly a front for DEA agents waiting for a sore loser.

if you have a tried place, please PM me.

• Good Point x 1

#16 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:40 AM

Vacation in Amsterdam.

LOL, i was in Amsterdam earlier this year, but coming back from a funeral, i was not in the mood to experiment with something like that. i did some sightseeing and now i remember some shops with shrooms indeed. i even took some pictures. I may swing another trip next summer.

• Cheerful x 1

#17 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for the idea. I searched for 4-aco-dmt and came across this very informative and recent discussion triggered by the same news:

https://news.ycombin...tem?id=13085064

i'm still a bit uneasy about purchasing online something that is not 100% legal. I have that fear that the outfit is possibly a front for DEA agents waiting for a sore loser.

if you have a tried place, please PM me.

I can give you a golden pointer...

https://www.reddit.c...es/wiki/vendors

• Informative x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#18 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

I wouldn't encourage using psilocybin on your own or in noncontrolled settings. You need a sitter and preferably an experienced sitter at that. 

Also, (what is not often mentioned) there are negatives to taking psilocybin. For example, it might trigger an enduring psychosis.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#19 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

unless you buy some isolated psilocybin which can microdose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 psychejunkie

• 205 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:19 AM

I also dont like the idea of "shrooms not being toxic". as the matter of fact, those compounds which make them hallucinogenic are actually toxins outside of the human kingdome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • unsure x 1

#21 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

I do have some experience with Psilocybin and depression/anxiety. A couple of weeks ago I ordered 15 grams of fresh "Magic Truffles" which I was planning to use in microdoses of 1gram every 4 days in the hopes of lowering my depression. Since these truffles are legal in the Netherlands, it wasn`t a big deal to order them and they only costed me 11 eur.

Anyway they were sitting in my drawer and I was hesitant to use them. But one day I felt so bad, that I decided to dose the one gram. I waited an hour, nothing happened. So I took another 2 grams and waited another 30 minutes. Nothing happened. I was feeling pretty desperate at that moment and since I was feeling nothing from the mushrooms I thought they were very mild. So I had a moment of "f*** it all" and ingested the whole 12 Grams that I had left.

Again nothing happened for 30 minutes. Then I started noticing colors become more bright and beautiful, my mood was lifting. 15 Minutes later, I was in a full blown mushroom trip. I must say it was the most intense experience in my life. For the first time in my life I felt that everything made sense. I remember crying on the floor thanking the universe for this experience and finally giving me some direction, as I`m feeling quite lost for the last couple of years. The trip continued for over 3 hours and was accomplished with a connection to the world, a spiritual sense of being, a lot of vivid (supressed?) childhood memories, memories about lost loved onces but also some anxiety and paranoia. Again, it was the most intense experience in my life so far and it was closely resembling the experience "near death experiences"  describe.

For the week after my chronic depression that has been with me for over a decade was completely lifted. Something dozens of medications and therapy couldn`t achieve in all these years. I could feel love for the people around me again, I felt I had direction in life again, all daily anxieties felt obsolete and people around me said I was a different person. But I also felt that I had to "recover"  from this wonderful but draining experience. I felt more tired and brainfogged then I regularly do, but it didn`t matter as much because my mood was great and underneath my physical anxiety I felt a sense of inner calmness.

It has been 3 weeks now and basically I feel the same as before the trip. The depression returned. But the thing that remains is the memory of this great experience. Since I experienced this trip, I am 100% sure there is more to life than we know and that alone helps me cope with my depression. I know the 70-80 years in this life, being the person I am, is so incredibly small compared to the eternal universe we are all part of. Even if I were depressed and sick for the rest of my life, it`s not such a big deal. Even tough I will do anything to cure myself.

In conclusion, based from my own experience, I do think psilocybin could play a role in finding direction in life, processing (supressed) trauma`s and becoming a happier person. I can also see how it can help depression, especially if its caused by current life situations or suppressed traumas. If it is able to directly treat depression due to its pharmacology, I`m not so sure....

I`m note sure where to go from now. Maybe I should give microdosing a fair shot. And I do want to try large doses again, but maybe in a different setting. 

If anyone wants to try these mushrooms I recommend using them with caution. The trip can be very, very intense. Especially when you`re taking larges doses as a beginner like me. I remember feeling quite paranoid certain moments and experiencing some quite crazy thoughts. Due to my decade long experience with depression/anxiety and my daily meditation I was able to distance myself from this crazy thoughts and not act upon them. Besides, I naturally remain good impulse control under the influence of drug and/or alcohol. I had a lot of party nights in my life, but never did something I regret. I can imagine people without this could really do some crazy things under the influence of these drugs. Especially when already in a vulnerable mental state.

Other than that, I think these mushrooms are pretty harmless. They are are barely toxic and have no long-term side effects. Even if you take 100x the recreational dose, they will not cause any physical damage. The fact that they are illegal in most countries contrary to alcohol is a result of crazy drug laws. Not because of dangers or toxicity.

Edited by DaneV, 04 December 2016 - 01:42 PM.

• like x 2

#22 samson75

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

I read many articles regarding a british study on depression sufferers; see :

https://www.theguard...-clinical-trial

http://www.thelancet...0065-7/abstract

Suffering from depression and generalized anxiety for many years and not being helpeld by traditionnal medication i went to follow a ketamine treatment in Germany some months ago with no fuc**ng result at all !! What i feared most came to reality; i'm amoung the 30% of patients who don't get benefits...

As a consequence of the deep disapointment the depression worsened.

So i decided to give mushrooms a chance; i went to Amsterdam and risked big problems with the french autorities when coming back home ! ;)

I bought 3 "Atlantis" magic truffles, 15 g each. I read that antidepressants destroy psilocybin effects by down regulating some receptor in the brain. So i quit cold turkey my venlafaxine treatment three days before eating the truffles (i went in hell because of the withdrawal !).

I prepared my room, put relaxing music and prepared some xanax in case of a bad trip..

First dose : 7,5g (half a packet) : nothing.

Second dose one hour later 7,5 g : nothing.

Third dose one hour later : 15 g  : nothing.

Fourth dose later in the evening : 15 g : still no effect, no visual effects, no euphoria.. NOTHING !!!

I almost laughed about it, i was certain it would be useless. I read so many miracles about ketamine...

I knew it would be the same failure with psilocybin.

I think the british docs gave 10mg of psilo to the patients and one week later the 25mg therapeutic dose.

15 g fresh magic truffles contain from 10 to 25mg psilo. So my dose should have been heroic.

Maybe venlafaxine did not down regulate things in my brain but destroyed them ! :laugh:

And i'm sure the truffles are legit; they're Fullmoon's Atlantis brand. I saw that brand in all the smartshops i went into.

I'm very curious about DaneV's experience. Were you taking SSRI/SSNRI before/during trying truffles ?

If any reader taking those medications had a positive experience with magic mushrooms/truffles; could you describe the way you took them ?

Anyway, i also bought a mushroom growing kit. I'm going to try this and will write a feedback here.

Edited by samson75, 04 December 2016 - 10:32 PM.

• like x 1

#23 DaneV

• 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:00 PM

I read many articles regarding a british study on depression sufferers; see :

https://www.theguard...-clinical-trial

http://www.thelancet...0065-7/abstract

Suffering from depression and generalized anxiety for many years and not being helpeld by traditionnal medication

i went to follow a ketamine treatment in Germany some months ago with no fuc**ng result at all !! What i feared most

came to reality; i'm amoung the 30% of patients who don't get benefits...

As a consequence of the deep disapointment the depression worsened.

So i decided to give mushrooms a chance; i went to Amsterdam and risked big problems with the french autorities

when coming back home ! ;)

I bought 3 "Atlantis" magic truffles, 15 g each. I read that antidepressants destroy psilocybin effects by down regulating

some receptor in the brain. So i quit cold turkey my venlafaxine treatment three days before eating the truffles (i went in hell

because of the withdrawal !).

I prepared my room, put relaxing music and prepared some xanax in case of a bad trip..

First dose : 7,5g (half a packet) : nothing.

Second dose one hour later 7,5 g : nothing.

Third dose one hour later : 15 g  : nothing.

Fourth dose later in the evening : 15 g : still no effect, no visual effects, no euphoria.. NOTHING !!!

I almost laughed about it, i was certain it would be useless. I read so many miracles about ketamine...

I knew it would be the same failure with psilocybin.

I think the british docs gave 10mg of psilo to the patients and one week later the 25mg therapeutic

dose.

15 g fresh magic truffles contain from 10 to 25mg psilo. So my dose should have been heroic.

Maybe venlafaxine did not down regulate things in my brain but destroyed them ! :laugh:

And i'm sure the truffles are legit; they're Fullmoon's Atlantis brand. I saw that brand in all the smartshops

i went into.

I'm very curious about DaneV's experience. Were you taking SSRI/SSNRI before/during trying truffles ?

If any reader taking those medications had a positive experience with magic mushrooms/truffles; could you

describe the way you took them ?

Anyway, i also bought a mushroom growing kit. I'm going to try this and will write a feedback here.

I wasn`t taking any SSRI or other psychoactive medication when I was taking them. And yes SSRI`s seem to partly cancel out their effects, probably due to downregulation of 5ht2a receptors. This is the receptor responsible for Psilocybin`s effects and is known to downregulate extremely quickly, even in a matter of hours. That`s the reason tolerance to psilocybin happens so fast. Even redosing during the trip to get stronger or longer lasting effects, is useless due to this.

Judging from this chart, it seems to take at least two weaks for this tolerance to set down (for the receptor to upregulate?):

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qvcw79.jpg

Funny that you felt abolutely nothing though... maybe it takes longer for the receptor to upregulate again after chronic SSRI usage compared to acute psilocybin use. Another option might of course be that the mushrooms were too old. Were they vacuum sealed when you bought them ? IIRC, psilocybin quickly degrades when exposed to oxygen.

• Informative x 1

#24 samson75

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Yes, the truffles were in a fridge and vacuum sealed  when i bought them. I put them immediatly in an isotherm bag in order not to damage them during my trip back home.

They could be consumed until 2017 and again it's a legit well known brand you find anywhere.

I read venlafaxine takes about 3/4 days to be washed out your system. But as you say; maybe that receptor needs a lot more time to function normally... I won't be able to know because even if my antidepressant does not cure, at least it prevents me to completly colapse (not talking about the awful withdrawal symptoms). So i won't be able to stop it more than i did.

I'll take my chance again soon with my mushrooms growing kit, but it would be great to have the feedback from SSRI/SSNRI users.

Edited by samson75, 04 December 2016 - 10:54 PM.

#25 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

this has become erowid of reports and experiences with the stuff instead of discussing the possibility of getting it available to those with depression

• unsure x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#26 samson75

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

Before knowing if it's available you have to know if it works ! ;-) So yes; you have to hear about the experiences of those who already tried...

And i don't see this becoming a solution for depression : most sufferers take antidepressants that inhibit psilocybin action ! It's a vicious circle.

Would be great if we could know the treatments of the british study's patients. Maybe by contacting the main contributors : Dr Robin Carhart-Harris and Prof David Nutt. But i doubt they would consider this...

• Good Point x 1

#27 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:34 PM

They may act preferentially at the presynaptic site.  Indeed, this is how SSRIs work.  If this were true it would help to blast out on full volume, to the tune of a ten strip.  Even though I have not taken it since May 2014, I'm still feeling the effects.  It makes me seem to give less of a fuck, and find humor on the dark side.

For instance, was at a red light a few minutes before dusk.  A guy gestures and shouts at me.  My lights are off.  Maybe he didn't see my parking lights were on, and my front bumper and light was all smashed up on his side?  Anyways.. I flick them on obediently, but not before I turn, one eye brow kinda raised, and cooly declare, sorry officer i'm almost home. and looks like your beard could use some touching up?  He retorts that I am a royal pain in the ass and it iss unsafe to drive as I am at this hour, but on the other hand, I insist it's not important on the one-way boulevard.  Rolled up my window and put the tunes back on.  And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music.

Edited by gamesguru, 05 December 2016 - 11:47 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#28 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

NSI-189 + a very small dose of peilocybin works better together than ethier alone.
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#29 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

^ when in doubt, don't mix uranium with plutonium

• unsure x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 samson75

• 85 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

gamesguru, you were not taking any SSRI when eating mushs i presume ? I hope someone taking them can tell us how he/she successfully managed to deal with the medication in order to give psilo its full potential.

I'm seriously thinking about contacting the english medical staff... Who knows.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, anxiety

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users