- - - - -

Experimenting with existing meal replacement options

meal replacement nutrient shakes meal bars alternative nutrition method

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spicyramyun

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

I know I have a lot of areas in which I need to improve in life but my dietary needs realistically should be the easiest to fix.  That is a thought I have had off and on for years.  I didn't really accomplish a lot with just the idea alone though.  Recently, after seeing the introduction of even more meal replacement option into the online market I decided to try some more of them out.  I have tended to notice a better overall mental and physical state with a more regulated diet previously.  I felt absolutely amazing when maintaining a ketogenic diet for a period of months for example.

I am currently doing two-week trials of a number of meal replacements.  I already had bags of Joylent from when I had tried them before so I am currently drinking them.  I have quite a few others that I have recently ordered to try.  The idea essentially is to do 12 days on and two days off as this allows me to check the onboarding and coming back off with them.  That and I have my kids every other weekend and it is significantly easier to do meal prep with them when planning for all of us.

When I try the keto blends I intend to get myself into ketosis prior to in order not to be impacted by the keto flu in the induction period.

What experiences have people on here had with either trying some of the commercially available options or even in doing some of the DIY blends available online?  I appreciate any additional information members might have especially from their personal experiences.

Current:

Joylent Bags on Day 9

Things I will be trying in coming weeks:

Twennybars (two weeks worth)

Schmilk (two weeks worth)

Keto Fuel (two weeks worth)

Keto Chow (two weeks worth)

#2 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

My personal take is that all existing meal replacement options available are not nutrient dense enough to be considered healthy, I recommend against long term use.

I create my own by making a smoothy using broccoli, spinach, whey isolate (Stevia Sweetened), Cinnamon (True), Turmeric, Ginger, Fish oil or healthy fat oil, collagen powder, L-Glutamine, Pea Protein and a few others, it won't take you out of ketosis due to the carb content coming from only broccoli and spinach.

I have put this concoction into Cronometer and it provides a high portion of daily vitamins, minerals, protein and good fats.

It may not taste so great but I provides roughly 400 calories and its nutrient dense.

Edited by Madman, 02 January 2017 - 01:49 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

Some of the other important ingredients:

Ground flax seed

Spirulina

#4 Spicyramyun

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

There is actually a pretty decent amount of DIY options out there as well.  I have an associate trying out the following blend  https://diy.soylent....otein-low-price

What specifically are you looking for in the nutrient dense category?  If the replacement has most if not all nutrients needed and the calories you have chosen for the day doesn't that meet the needs of the body?  The DIY has the nutrition available in the mix and the Schmilk has the same here:  http://superbodyfuel.com/shop/schmilk/

I know I am just looking at alternatives to not just control my daily intake but I have definitely noticed a marked improvement in overall feeling with more balance in nutrients.  I know previously I was not planning appropriately and this takes part of that concern off the table.

#5 Madman

• 45 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Ive not seen a meal replacement that can replicate vegetable consumption successfully. Just adding all the minerals to a replacement shake does not mean your body will process and absorb them all correctly.

its highly likely there will be nutrient deficiencies over the long term which could cause damage, also there is no replacement for vegetables in diet and the way the body extracts the needed nutrients as required, including nurturing the gut micro-biome.

In the short term I don't see an issue using the meal replacements on the links provided, but in the long term if you are planning to replace your food with a manufactured food replacement then your health most likely will suffer.

Our meal replacement science is far from developed enough to provide a viable alternative to food if it was many more of the population would be using them including a great number of forum members here, for the time being in my own opinion, making your own meal replacement as described above or similar is your best option, which is also very balanced and nutritionally dense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meal replacement, nutrient shakes, meal bars, alternative nutrition method

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users