- - - - -

Optimal Nutrient Status

optimal nutrient status

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CuriousMonkey

• 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

I'm not sure what is the best forum section for this post. I first posted it to the Nutrition section. So far 113 views, but no replies.

I am trying to find any previous posts that focused on the topic of determining what is optimal nutrient status in the body. For example, I've found studies that found Vitamin C levels in the blood higher than the standard reference range were associated with the lowest risk of all-cause mortality. This points to higher levels of vitamin c itself or as an indicator of something else is of benefit. I've looked on the forum and have not found any discussions that focus on this specific topic. If they exist, I appreciate links to them. If they don't I'd welcome input (with scientific references) as to what is the optimal status in the body for all vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and amino acids, if known.

Thank you. 

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

.. as to what is the optimal status in the body for all vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and amino acids, if known.

Think you ask for answers for a question which is just too encompassing to be possibly known.

Even if higher vitamin C serum levels would mean lowest mortality, certainly in only in the statistical mean. We don't know how far it is an indicator of something else of benefit, put I would bet it certainly is. Now that is looking at only one lab marker of one vitamin, how does that relate to intracellular vitamin C content? How does it synergize or antagonize with each other nutrients? And now multiply such simplified complexity with the complexities of all vitamins and minerals, 15 each. Thousands of synthetic compounds without safety-testing released in our environment by industry, and thousands of natural phytochemicals not counted.

Then there is chemical individuality. Some with deficiency or chronic disease - as a large part of the population has - would again need different intakes, have different absorption rates, metabolism and so different status for each nutrient.

And then there is the science, concerned in it's studies with one nutrient at a time, as it is used too with pharmacological agents. It wont get you any closer to your question wanting to know the optimal status of all interdependent nutrients at once, and for each and everyone.

The only way there is, is to learn by slowly increasing each nutrient and monitoring all other relevant lab markers and your symptoms, to find what is optimal for you at that time. Natural nutrients, with only few exception, have little risk compared to pharmaceuticals. Even if you find the optimal status for yourself at that time, you can be sure this will also change again, and wont be applicable to anyone else.

Just one personal example, have severe Mg deficiency with painful muscle cramps for many years. What helped me is at least 1.8 g of elemental Mg supplemented. I'm sure 99% would get terrible diarrhea with so much. But I'm just fine and without pain.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

Where science really fails us to understand such complexity, one can learn some from various anecdotal and clinical experiences, while cautiously self-experimenting.

An example would be http://www.acu-cell.com, which talks about real-world observed interactions between all essential nutrients. And beside the meager RDA (for all age groups, sex, pregnancy and lactating) gives the ULs, along with best time to take, synergists and antagonists, deficiency, overdose, toxicity, negative side effects, symptoms and risk factors. Also gives the huge therapeutic ranges of each nutrient.

However, in the end oneself again will become the best expert for one's own chemical bio-individuality.

• Informative x 1

#4 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Perhaps, if you have access to test things like homocysteine on a regular basis, otherwise you may be doing harm without knowing until it is too late.

For example B9 supplementation/fortification amount and form based on MTHFR mutation status.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Perhaps, if you have access to test things like homocysteine on a regular basis, otherwise you may be doing harm without knowing until it is too late.

For example B9 supplementation/fortification amount and form based on MTHFR mutation status.

Good example. Better assume from the onset to have all these gene variants, never supplement anything with synthetic folic acid in it, but methylfolate. And even with monitoring homocysteine, always start dosing with the lowest possible dose to catch possible adverse reaction early on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: optimal, nutrient, status

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users