• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Why does Gotu Kola make me feel good and bad?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:15 AM

Anyways, I'm pretty sure I have mercury or some type of heavy metal poisoing.

The day I take gotu kola, I will feel dizzy and irritable a couple hours after ingestion. Here's the positive side, my symptoms of heavy metal poisoing are much much improved for several days after taking Gotu Kola. I don't get it? The brain anti-oxidant activity maybe? Maybe the bad side-effects are caused by Gotu Kola's psychoactive effects.

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:03 PM

where did you buy your gotu kola? is it bulk herb? extract? was it heavy metal/microboilogically assayed?

if you think you have mercury/metal poisoning, you need to do something about that immidiatly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dr feelwell

• 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:33 AM

Does Gotu-Kola possess mostly anti-anxiety properties? or does it have some anti-depressant features?

#4 superpooper

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

where did you buy your gotu kola? is it bulk herb? extract? was it heavy metal/microboilogically assayed?

if you think you have mercury/metal poisoning, you need to do something about that immidiatly.

Eclectic Institute, no extract.

I've scored slighty in the range of mercury poisoing with a hair test.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Eclectic Institute, no extract.

I've scored slighty in the range of mercury poisoing with a hair test.

then ur main issue should be taking care of that

#6 superpooper

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

Does Gotu-Kola possess mostly anti-anxiety properties? or does it have some anti-depressant features?

It has some immediate psychoactive effects. Especially if you get the freeze dried kind and take it on an empty stomach.

#7 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

I took two gotu kola capsule and BAM, out like a like for the last 6 hours.

Anyone else get this? Is my dosing off? The serving size is two capsules, 950mg total.

http://www.revolutio...ex/gotu-kola-ns

Reading more, it seems to cause higher cholesterol and blood sugar. Not exactly good....

#8 desperate788

• 234 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

I have used gotu cola for a year I didn't notice any negative side effects.

#9 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

What dose do you use?

#10 Mista_Bob

• 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:45 AM

I used it with gingko and it felt, at least to me, to enhance the memory and alertness effects of gingko compared to without the gotu kola. Could have just been me and whatever messed up brain chemistry I have. :)

#11 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Perhaps the irritability could be due to increased cholinergic activity.

#12 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:10 AM

gotu kola is known as potent accumulator of heavy metals and it grows in water zone so like it contains other toxic stuff as well. if someone experiments with it, do a heavy metal test before and after use and we can have final confirmation on this.

#13 nooguyz

• 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

I was also wondering about the dosage... I have found many articles, but they don't mention if they are talking about an extract or powder, and what kind of extract.

I've found plenty of 20% extracts, but they don't test for other ingredients... And I have found even more pure powder forms, which are a lot cheaper. I am especially wondering about pure powder form (just dried herb), and its dosage. It seems to be around 500mg-1.5g? 1.5g being on the higher end, usually not necessary for all the effects and might get closer to sedation rather than dopamine, serotonin and MAOI-related effects?

#14 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

I have no idea how exactly gotu kola works, but it sounds similar to my experience with e.g. alcohol. It makes me dizzy and annoyed (and tired), then I tend to feel a bit more energized day after.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 nooguyz

• 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

I have no idea how exactly gotu kola works, but it sounds similar to my experience with e.g. alcohol. It makes me dizzy and annoyed (and tired), then I tend to feel a bit more energized day after.

Hmm, alcohol doesn't make me annoyed, but it does make me sleepy in 30-60 minutes. I sometimes would use it as sleep aid awhile back for that reason. Doesn't always work either and sometimes I'd need to increase the dosage. Not tired per say, just sleepy, I can have 2-3 shots of vodka and still be up in a good mood doing things. Not annoyed either, more relaxed. Dizzy for sure though.

What was the dosage that you've tried? And have you tried lower doses instead? I've read that with higher doses Gotu Kola might work as a sedative more than an energizer. I've read that about some other supplement, but I don't remember what it was. Could be either Bacopa or Rhodiola, but I doubt I will be using either of those, as Rhodiola might not work with MAOIs (and I definitely need that in my stack).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users