• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Have expectations for radial life extension greatly diminished?

aging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

I remember back in the early 2000's when stem cell technology, gene therapy and animal cloning were all entering the public psyche. Shortly after, Kurzweil and De Grey became popular figures in a wide range of media. It seemed, in many quarters, that life extension and more importantly, rejuvenation was right around the corner, perhaps a decade and half away.

Now things seem very different to me. Although what we understand about biology and the potential interventions surrounding it have exponentially increased, it seems as if the magnitude of the aging problem and the rate of technological progress have been vastly illuminated and that as a result people are beginning to taper their expectations for the next decade or two.

What are your thoughts around this matter?

Edited by Decimus, 21 February 2017 - 11:34 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#2 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

It's possible that some people feel this way however in general I don't think people expected extreme results right around the corner from the early 2000s. For the most part it seemed that expectations where more focused on getting to such a point by the middle of the century and it doesn't seem to have changed much from that. Just my opinion from what I came across.

#3 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

I thought it would be here by 2005. I was wrong and may well now have a fatal disease. Just saying...
Never give up hope though

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users