- - - - -

NAC Amide eye drop for cataracts

naca nac amide cataracts

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

We have had N-Acetyl-Carnosine (NALC or confusingly referred to as NAC) eye drops for cataracts for years. This study is looking at N-Acetyl-Cysteine Amide (NACA) drops.

BMC Ophthalmol. 2017 Apr 26;17(1):54. 

Maddirala Y1, Tobwala S1, Karacal H2, Ercal N3.
BACKGROUND: The present study sought to evaluate the efficacy of N-acetylcysteine amide (NACA) eye drops in reversing the cataract formation induced by sodium selenite in male Wistar rat pups.
METHODS: Forty male Wistar rat pups were randomly divided into a control group, an N-acetylcysteine amide-only group, a sodium selenite-induced cataract group, and a NACA-treated sodium selenite-induced cataract group. Sodium selenite was injected intraperitoneally on postpartum day 10, whereas N-acetylcysteine amide was injected intraperitoneally on postpartum days 9, 11, and 13 in the respective groups. Cataracts were evaluated at the end of week 2 (postpartum day 14) when the rat pups opened their eyes. N-acetylcysteine amide eye drops were administered beginning on week 3 until the end of week 4 (postpartum days 15 to 30), and the rats were sacrificed at the end of week 4. Lenses were isolated and examined for oxidative stress parameters such as glutathione, lipid peroxidation, and calcium levels along with the glutathione reductase and thioltransferase enzyme activities. Casein zymography and Western blot of m-calpain were performed using the water soluble fraction of lens proteins.
RESULTS: Morphological examination of the lenses in the NACA-treated group indicated that NACA was able to reverse the cataract grade. In addition, glutathione level, thioltransferase activity, m-calpain activity, and m-calpain level (as assessed by Western blot) were all significantly higher in the NACA-treated group than in the sodium selenite-induced cataract group. Furthermore, sodium selenite- injected rat pups had significantly higher levels of malondialdehyde, glutathione reductase enzyme activity, and calcium levels, which were reduced to control levels upon treatment with NACA.
CONCLUSIONS: The data suggest that NACA has the potential to significantly improve vision and decrease the burden of cataract-related loss of function. Prevention and reversal of cataract formation could have a global impact. Development of pharmacological agents like NACA may eventually prevent cataract formation in high-risk populations and may prevent progression of early-stage cataracts. This brings a paradigm shift from expensive surgical treatment of cataracts to relatively inexpensive prevention of vision loss.
PMID: 28446133

• Informative x 3

#2 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

Selenite-induced, like sodium selenium or sodium selenite?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Oakman

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:56 PM

Have been using these type drops on and off for years. Eye docs told me a decade ago I have some cloudiness, but strangely it's never gotten worse. Confused, I tell them I use N-Acetyl-Carnosine drops. Blank stare follows, then, "...whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

Edited by Oakman, 30 April 2017 - 10:57 PM.

• like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#4 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:24 PM

Have been using these type drops on and off for years. Eye docs told me a decade ago I have some cloudiness, but strangely it's never gotten worse. Confused, I tell them I use N-Acetyl-Carnosine drops. Blank stare follows, then, "...whatever you're doing, keep doing it."

These aren't N-Acetyl-Carnosine drops.

#5 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

I was aware of NACA ( and hopeful about it) since

https://www.scienced...21009121205.htm

but I am bit disappointed that science has not yet progressed beyond rats.

• Agree x 1

#6 Christian Hunter

• 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

Is NAC Amide available anywhere for purchase as eye drops (or any other bioavailable means to assist with eye issues)?

#7 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

I've looked and have not found NACA drops available for sale.

However, N-Acetyl-Carnosine drops are readily available (Can-C being just one brand) and I haven't seen anything that has compared the two in terms of effectiveness, so for all we know the NAC drops work as well or better.

What I want is to find someone selling lipoic acid choline ester drops, which have been tested in humans and shown to reverse presbyopia and very likely reverse cataracts through the same mechanism.

#8 FrankEd

• 148 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

Hi Daniel Cooper.

I have bilateral cataract (initial stages) and my ophthalmologist is a very old and experienced man.

He told me that his colleagues will never allow a medicine like Can-C to be used by his patients because the equipments that are used to make cataract surgeries are very expensive and they need to recover his investments.

He told me this when I asked if he knew Can-C drops (showing papers about it)

#9 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:20 AM

Been doing Can-C drops for about a month now.  I've got the most slight evidence of the earliest stages of a cataract that I'd like to head off, but I'm actually more interested in the possibility that it might improve the elasticity of the lens and improve presbyopia. 

#10 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

My cataracts are very minor. Several months of Can-C did not improve them nor did it help against my presbyopa and 'floaters'. :sad:

#11 eigenber

• 64 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Can anyone access the full text on this article? Might be of some interest re ocular issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24509160

#12 Oakman

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

My cataracts are very minor. Several months of Can-C did not improve them nor did it help against my presbyopa and 'floaters'. :sad:

What takes years to develop, takes years to be resolved, not several months, so results are not quick, but I do believe there is an improvement, or at least a slowing of symptoms.

Also, not saying you don't do this already correctly, BUT...the act of correctly putting drops in the eye is more complicated than one might think .For example, this page gives good detailed directions.  For me, I tell Google home to set a 5 min timer, I lay on the bed, one drop in each eye, close, and do not blink after that.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#13 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Thanks very much Oakman! I had never heard about this and  I know three sufferers of fullblown glaucoma who I am sure will be amazed to hear about this way of going about it. Their physicians never advised them to use the drops like this.  I will restart on CAN-C today.....

#14 ClarkSims

• Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Can anyone access the full text on this article? Might be of some interest re ocular issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/24509160

There is a link to the full text, which is free, at the bottom of the abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4005814/

It should be noted this is about neurodegeneration in the back of the eye, as opposed to cataracts at the front of the eye.

#15 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Libyan J Med. 2018 Dec;13(1):1500347.

Wang L1, Liu W1, Huang X1.
Department of Ophthalmology , The First Affiliated Hospital of Hainan Medical College , Haikou , Hainan , China.
The purpose of this study is to prepare and characterize solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) of N-Acetyl Carnosine (NAC) to treat cataract since surgery necessitates equipments and professional help. Cataract is believed to be formed by the biochemical approach where the crystalline eye proteins lose solubility and forms high molecular weight masses. Added advantages of SLN of NAC (henceforth referred as SLN-NAC) in the study are reduced size, sustained release and better corneal penetration of drug. The method of preparation of SLN-NAC by Mill's method is unique in itself. The size of the SLN-NAC was 75 ± 10 nm in the range of ideal for penetration. The in-vitro release study and the SLN-NAC formulations prepared with Mill's method demonstrated sustained release up to 24 h following an initial burst after 1 h. The zeta potential of the prepared formulation was -22.1 ± 1 mV. Corneal permeation studies using goat corneas indicate that SLN-NAC penetration rate was higher than those from NAC eye drops. Corneal hydration studies indicated that the formulation caused no harm to the corneal cells. Therefore it may be concluded that SLN-NAC may revolutionize cataract treatment and reversal by improving drug permeation, reducing toxicity and no damage to corneal tissue.
PMID: 30045674

#16 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:03 PM

Wow this is great stuff! I too have a cataract forming in my right eye, not in my left cause i had the lens removed already.

I have not heard of sln-nac before, but i'm using nac drops since a few days and eating calendula petals and there seems to be something going on.

There is also another product, visomitin, in the form of eyedrops. Its a mitochondrial antioxidant.

So where can we buy sln-nac drops (or pills as a replacement for standard nac pill).

#17 Matt392

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

I know where to buy N-Acetyl-Cysteine Amide (NACA). If you want to ask to me, I can tell you the name of a professional lab which produce N-Acetyl-Cysteine Amide (NACA). Very few people want to buy N-Acetyl-Cysteine Amide (NACA) because it is not well documented about human use.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Ok! Thats interesting, where do i get it?
Ok! Thats interesting, where do i get it?
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naca, nac amide, cataracts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users