• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Optimal timing for vitamin C while eating HFLC?

ascorbic acid vitamin c hflc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

I've read that vitamin C + fats might promote cancer, and that these fats remain in the stomach for quite a long time after a meal:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/17785370

Vitamin C has been found to interfere with adaptations to exercise and interfere with beneficial pro-oxidant signaling, and it might interfere with the benefits of fasting or the benefits from other supplements (eg. resveratrol.)  That said, I wouldn't mind finding a slot for an additional 250-1,000mg/d of ascorbic acid in my HFLC diet.

I usually eat in a 6-8hr window.  Would I be best served having the Vitamin C upon waking, far before breakfast (with my coffee?), or with a high-fat meal inside my eating window, or right before bed?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

Vitamin-C reduces dietary non-heme ferric iron to a highly unstable ferrous form, which is a catalyst for lipid oxidation (rancidity).  Damage to lipids is largely dependent on the non-heme iron content of a meal where Vitamin-C is also involved.  

C also greatly increases absorption of dietary non-heme iron, which you probably do not want unless you have a documented iron deficiency, thus for me, C is an empty stomach supplement.  

Large fatty meals can linger in the stomach for quite a while, but 4-5 hours or so really should be adequate for gastric emptying.  

I have several empty stomach supps I take upon waking (SAM-e, C & IP6), which I try to separate by 30 minutes or so.  This might be difficult for someone who's used to tucking into breakfast early on, but with an empty stomach, I've found washing them down with 8oz of water each carries them through my stomach rather swiftly and I'm ready to eat about 90 minutes after waking.  

I repeat this around 4 hours after dinner, shortly before bed time.  Don't know if my stomach is completely empty at this time, but it's the best I can do.  An hour before dinner (5 hours after lunch) might be another option.  Wash them down with plenty of water and they should be out of your stomach within an hour and you'll be ready for dinner.  

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 brosci

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:23 PM

If I'm wanting to get the benefits of intermittent fasting through a time-restricted eating window, would vitamin C right after waking be counter-productive in some way?

On a recent Rhonda Patrick interview with Satchidananda Panda, it was mentioned that even coffee broke the fasting window.  This also comes to mind:

http://www.scienceal...search-suggests

I've been debating whether 125mg, 250mg, or 500mg via pure ascorbic acid, buffered ascorbic acid, C + Flavanoids, or some sort of Whole Food C-rich Powder would make the most sense for my goals.  I'm primarily wanting the anti-viral immune-boosting effect, but it also serves as a collagen-formation / glutathione precursor and serves many other useful functions. (examine.com/supplements/vitamin-c/)

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

I don't see how a modest dose of C would compromise a fast.  

I take 500mg of cheap C from China AM & PM.  Don't believe in the Wizard of Oz magic C formulas.  

This seems to work well regarding collagen support.  If I don't take my C for several days, my gums bleed when I brush my teeth.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

I don't see how a modest dose of C would compromise a fast.

Once did a standard lab panel including Vitamin C to see how far up I could get it in serum with oral vitamin C. So in the 12 previous hours, otherwise fasting, also took about 36 gram of vitamin C in water. The only lab test affected seems to have been homocysteine at my highest 14.1 µmol/L. Otherwise in average below 10. Serum vitamin C came back at 23.4 mg/l (normal range 5-15).

Edited by pamojja, 09 May 2017 - 12:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ascorbic acid, vitamin c, hflc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users