Capping supplements, empty capsules, bulk powders

bulk powder capsules

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 spoutti

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Hi, I thought I could share my capping experience. The kind of thread I was searching for before I ordered bulk powders. I did a trial run with my cap m quick size "2" with diatomaceous earth, but I wasnt impressed. The caps are about 1mm too deep, and too loose in the slots. Powder fell through. I will probably order the "00" to cap the cheaper powders like chorella and gotu kola.

My basic tech is to handle the cap with tweezers and dunk it a few times in the powder tub. I tap it on the border of the tub. Results vary with the amount of tapping and overfill vs under fill the cap. So here are my results, and I encourage others to share their experience as well. My powders come from Nootropicsdepot exept when noted in ().

Gotu kola (Organic Tradition)     size "0" : +-240mg

Rhodiola rosavin,                         size "1" : +-150mg

size "00": +-250mg

Rhodiola salidroside                    size "1": +-270mg

size "0": +-360mg

Sensoril ashwagandha,              size "1": +-300mg

size "3": +-170mg

KSM-66 ashwagandha               size "2":+- 180mg

size "0": +- 300mg

Synapsa Bacopa                         size "1": +-340mg

Ginseng, root or leaf extract,      size "2": +-200mg

Chorella (Montain Rose Herbs) size "00": +-500mg

Also read from reddit:

Alpha-gpc 99%, using the cap m quick size "00": 1g

• Informative x 1

#2 Oakman

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:46 AM

You can do it as you describe, I have just use my fingers, no tweezers, but....once I found this...

...it is oh so much quicker, easier, and gives a reliable fill for 24 capsules at a time of "1", "0", or "00" size ...

https://capsuleconne...apsule-machine/

The_Capsule_Machine__68071.1474915574.36

You can either fill as much powder of something as will fit, being nicely tamped down and full, or you can weigh a calculated amount of something and spread it across the 24 pill holes (or fewer, like 12), leaving the capsules only partially filled. As you note, different materials have different volume densities and fill a different weight amount.

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 spoutti

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for sharing! Could you add some exemple of how you fill what size"x" with x amount of x substance? I hope to make this tread a reference for newbie "cappers". 

One vid I watched, the lady said the capsule machine would sometimes break caps when connecting both ends. Did it happen to you? What type/brand of caps you use? Any powder going between the caps and the caps hole?

#4 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

If I want a complete setup what do I need?

This supplement device/machine

Some empty gelatin capsules

Some tiny little scoops

Handgloves?

Weight scale???

Any guides on this?

Where do I buy?

Maybe there's a one site/store you can recommend that sells all?

#5 spoutti

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:51 PM

The capping machines are for quicker capping, not needed. Actually, I think its better to manually cap and experiment with different dosage first.

I would use gloves if dunking empty caps with hands, but using tweezers eliminates the gloves need. Plus I see the tweezers more handy for small tubs and to scrape the end the tub as well.

An mg scale is needed. I bought mine years ago on dealextreme. I see the same on banggood a dollar cheaper. Its a 20g one with tweezers (I cant post links yet) at 24.23CAD atm on banggood. I tare it with an empty cap first, fill, then weight it.

I couldnt find a guide a month ago when I dived in adaptogen herbs. Hence why I decided to share my exp and hope to have others share theirs as well.

There is a begginer's guide on reddits/nootropics with a list of recommended dealers. I went with nootropicsdepot for the bulk powders because they had all the adaptogens herbs I wanted, plus the owner is active there as well. I live in canada, and I bought my caps from capella-entreprises; they had the best price on the cap m quick machine. 

Hope it helps!

#6 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

The capping machines are for quicker capping, not needed. Actually, I think its better to manually cap and experiment with different dosage first.

I would use gloves if dunking empty caps with hands, but using tweezers eliminates the gloves need. Plus I see the tweezers more handy for small tubs and to scrape the end the tub as well.

An mg scale is needed. I bought mine years ago on dealextreme. I see the same on banggood a dollar cheaper. Its a 20g one with tweezers (I cant post links yet) at 24.23CAD atm on banggood. I tare it with an empty cap first, fill, then weight it.

I couldnt find a guide a month ago when I dived in adaptogen herbs. Hence why I decided to share my exp and hope to have others share theirs as well.

There is a begginer's guide on reddits/nootropics with a list of recommended dealers. I went with nootropicsdepot for the bulk powders because they had all the adaptogens herbs I wanted, plus the owner is active there as well. I live in canada, and I bought my caps from capella-entreprises; they had the best price on the cap m quick machine. 

Hope it helps!

Canada here too. Lucky me. Thanks man. I'll check out those sites. 

#7 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:32 AM

i had a lot of experiences with the capping machine, capsules getting stuck, deforming not mating with the other half, having a residue on the outside, capsules in the center being packed fuller than ones at the perimeter, etc etc.  in the end i decided just to be a man and take my powders by spoon and water

and if you seriously put diamataceous earth into capsules to test their soundness, you might want to consider the amount of time you have on your hands?  it's tough to pronounce, i troll around with it when the grocery cashier asks if i found everything alright, it kills bugs.  i'd bet a fair lump of cash you're the first person ever to put it in capsules..

#8 spoutti

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:58 AM

Tx for sharing gamesguru. If I go the racetams route, I will probably do the same, mix with water and drink it. With aswagandha root powder, I ended up with some stuck in the back of my throat with the water technique. I had to clear my throat for a short while until mucus finally took care of it. I can say maca, ashwagandha and bacopa actually get downed well mixed with butter or coconut oil and honey.

As for the diatomaceous, that was an impulse buy I did a year ago and never consumed it. I fear the unknown, so I thought if anything goes wrong, I better waste that than precious ginseng. And yes that was a waste of time haha! Im with you on being the 1st to cap it :)

#9 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for sharing! Could you add some exemple of how you fill what size"x" with x amount of x substance? I hope to make this tread a reference for newbie "cappers". 

One vid I watched, the lady said the capsule machine would sometimes break caps when connecting both ends. Did it happen to you? What type/brand of caps you use? Any powder going between the caps and the caps hole?

I got so tired of trying to buy the most economical supplements in capsule form, so I just decided to buy bulk and DIM for many things. I have about a dozen or so that I've bought from Powder City (gone) and Bulk Supplements, plus some herbs from others. There are charts like this that give some idea of the amounts per capsule size, but each powder is different. So I guess about a capsule size, hand fill one and manually tamp with a tool, then weigh it. If it's not the right amount, I up/down the capsule size between the available three choices (you need a unique pill machine for each size) to try and find the right amount/right capsule. 

If that doesn't work well, you have two choices is you don't get a right match between capsule and size. First, you can add filler, like powdered sugar, if you need extra bulk to make full capsules. Second, you can under-fill each capsule. Generally, when I need less than a tamped down capsule size allows, I find it easier to under-fill. Why? Because you can loose fill the capsules simply by not tamping down, just spreading and gravity filling with the little spreader they give you. Works nicely.

Once that's figured out, I use my milligram scale and measure x24 the amount of the single trial capsule with whatever I'm putting in there (add and mix in filler if you need more bulk).  I bought my caps from PC and BS, although I've noticed even our local grocery stores sell capsules now. I use veggie caps. Maybe quality varies by capsule brand, but in doing hundreds of capsules, I've perhaps had 3 or 4 capsules either crumple or not join correctly. Not anything to care about. I'll admit, I didn't carefully follow direction initially, but then I watched vids on youtube and got the hang of it, and now it's way easy. The hardest part (well boring really) is pulling the caps apart and inserting both pieces in the machine's holes.

Another of my goals was to eliminate taking so many different capsules (little store-bought products not avail in bulk) at a time, say at breakfast, by first emptying them, mixing together, and consolidating the mixtures into larger size capsules. Often I put these in "000" size, but there's no machine for that, but then hand doing these larger sizes is pretty easy anyway.

No powder goes between the caps and the cap holes, it a fairly tight fit. But, it does spill a bit sometimes from the tray top that the powder goes in first. What I do is to use a paper plate to put the machine on during filling. Any spillage can just be recycled afterwards.

Some tiny little scoops

Handgloves?

Weight scale???

Any guides on this?

Where do I buy?

Yes, all that, although I just wash my hands first and last, no gloves, too cumbersome. Amazon for much of it, search "tiny measuring spoons", "milligram scale", and even capsules and capsule machine, although last I checked you can't get all three size machines except from the company itself. That's ok, it's not cheaper anywhere, they're all the same price $18/each I think. Oh, and when you buy bulk, you normally end up with a collection of tiny plastic spoons anyway, or just use kitchen measuring spoons as you'll be measuring larger amounts anyway for the capsule machine.

I got so tired of trying to buy the most economical supplements in capsule form, so I just decided to buy bulk and DIM for many things. I have about a dozen or so that I've bought from Powder City (gone) and Bulk Supplements, plus some herbs from others. There are charts like this that give some idea of the amounts per capsule size, but each powder is different. So I guess about a capsule size, hand fill one and manually tamp with a tool, then weigh it. If it's not the right amount, I up/down the capsule size between the available three choices (you need a unique pill machine for each size) to try and find the right amount/right capsule. 

If that doesn't work well, you have two choices is you don't get a right match between capsule and size. First, you can add filler, like powdered sugar, if you need extra bulk to make full capsules. Second, you can under-fill each capsule. Generally, when I need less than a tamped down capsule size allows, I find it easier to under-fill. Why? Because you can loose fill the capsules simply by not tamping down, just spreading and gravity filling with the little spreader they give you. Works nicely.

Once that's figured out, I use my milligram scale and measure x24 the amount of the single trial capsule with whatever I'm putting in there (add and mix in filler if you need more bulk).  I bought my caps from PC and BS, although I've noticed even our local grocery stores sell capsules now. I use veggie caps. Maybe quality varies by capsule brand, but in doing hundreds of capsules, I've perhaps had 3 or 4 capsules either crumple or not join correctly. Not anything to care about. I'll admit, I didn't carefully follow direction initially, but then I watched vids on youtube and got the hang of it, and now it's way easy. The hardest part (well boring really) is pulling the caps apart and inserting both pieces in the machine's holes.

Another of my goals was to eliminate taking so many different capsules (little store-bought products not avail in bulk) at a time, say at breakfast, by first emptying them, mixing together, and consolidating the mixtures into larger size capsules. Often I put these in "000" size, but there's no machine for that, but then hand doing these larger sizes is pretty easy anyway.

No powder goes between the caps and the cap holes, it a fairly tight fit. But, it does spill a bit sometimes from the tray top that the powder goes in first. What I do is to use a paper plate to put the machine on during filling. Any spillage can just be recycled afterwards.

Some tiny little scoops

Handgloves?

Weight scale???

Any guides on this?

Where do I buy?

Yes, all that, although I just wash my hands first and last, no gloves, too cumbersome. Amazon for much of it, search "tiny measuring spoons", "milligram scale", and even capsules and capsule machine, although last I checked you can't get all three size machines except from the company itself. That's ok, it's not cheaper anywhere, they're all the same price $18/each I think. Oh, and when you buy bulk, you normally end up with a collection of tiny plastic spoons anyway, or just use kitchen measuring spoons as you'll be measuring larger amounts anyway for the capsule machine.

#10 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

I do a manual fill of what I think might be the right size capsule from this chart, weigh it, and adjust capsule size as necessary. When you use the machine, you can also adjust the fill by a large amount as well. For example, you can either fill full and tamp down for maximum fill, or weigh out the amount you desire x24 and just spread and gravity feed, maybe a light tamp down, things like that to adjust how much in each capsule. Or you can add filler to always have a full capsule. After you get a machine, and play with it a bit, you'll see many ways to nip and tuck what the fill is, it's very simple really, you just need to play around with it a bit.

In the hundreds of capsules I've made, maybe 3 or four have 'crunched' when putting the two pieces together. Perhaps it a capsule quality thing, I get mine from Bulk Supplements, Powder City (gone), and local shops around town, plus I reuse ones emptied from bought supplements. They all seem to work. Nothing to be concerned about anyway.  I put the machine in a paper plate to catch any spillage. It doesn't come from where the capsules fit into the machine, as that's tight, but from the top fill tray, that has an overflow cutout that lets power spill out if you let it. I recycle any that overflows.

Some tiny little scoops

Handgloves?

Weight scale???

Any guides on this?

Where do I buy?

Yes, this stuff, except I just wash my hands, no gloves. Amazon for much of it, although the only place to get all three Capsule Machines ('1', '0', '00') is the source... https://capsuleconne...apsule-machine/

I got a milligram scale with a nice little tray and some little spoons from Amazon, but really when you buy bulk, you'll start collecting a bunch of little spoons they give you anyway, or use your kitchen metal spoons. For weighing larger amounts, I use some small plastic cups instead of the tray, tare it, then add the amts I need.

#11 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

I manually fill a capsule or two of different sizes to see the amt possible in each. You can also short fill the machine by just weighing out x24 the amt needed and spreading and not tamping down (a lot or at all). I get my caps anywhere, from Powder City (gone) to Bulk Supplements, to local stores, they all seem to work.

No powder goes between the holes, but can spill off the fill tray as there's a missing side just to dispose of extra material, if you end up with extra. I put the whole thing in a paper plate and recycle any spillage.  In hundreds of capsule fills, I'vbe had maybe 3 or 4 'squish down'. No biggie.

I manually fill a capsule or two of different sizes to see the amt possible in each. You can also short fill the machine by just weighing out x24 the amt needed and spreading and not tamping down (a lot or at all). I get my caps anywhere, from Powder City (gone) to Bulk Supplements, to local stores, they all seem to work.

No powder goes between the holes, but can spill off the fill tray as there's a missing side just to dispose of extra material, if you end up with extra. I put the whole thing in a paper plate and recycle any spillage.  In hundreds of capsule fills, I'vbe had maybe 3 or 4 'squish down'. No biggie.

I manually fill a capsule or two of different sizes to see the amt possible in each. You can also short fill the machine by just weighing out x24 the amt needed and spreading and not tamping down (a lot or at all). I get my caps anywhere, from Powder City (gone) to Bulk Supplements, to local stores, they all seem to work.

No powder goes between the holes, but can spill off the fill tray as there's a missing side just to dispose of extra material, if you end up with extra. I put the whole thing in a paper plate and recycle any spillage.  In hundreds of capsule fills, I'vbe had maybe 3 or 4 'squish down'. No biggie.

#12 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Sorry for the strange post, I tried and tried, got erros, kept typing and only got errors, now it's all showed up!! What is going on with this site????

#13 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

Dumb website error > Strict Standards: Declaration of sfsLinkIp::buildMessage() should be compatible with hanEmail::buildMessage($words, $noClean = false, $rawHtml = false, $memberData = Array) in /home/longecit/public_html/forum/hooks/sfsLinkIp_ce2e70cd063833e91229d531d745d58b.php on line 39

Plus what can't we edit posts????  Each post that gets an error is repeated and finally posted. What ta heck is going on???

#14 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Sorry for the strange post, I tried and tried, got erros, kept typing and only got errors, now it's all showed up!! What is going on with this site????

I'm planning to go the capsule-free method. That is, taking a tiny spoon -> measure using mg scale -> ingest/swallow it up straight.

My purpose on this is to cut the unnecessary / time wasting process which may seem small and negligible but overtime, this process is more expensive than buying the capsules itself if you value your time a lot.

My only concern is, does it affect the supplement quality / absorption if you put in your mouth the powder form and drink with water as opposed to swallowing it and letting the stomach directly ingest it? 

I'm thinking a lot of particles would be scattered in my mouth, throat, esophagus and decrease the quality of the supplement although I guess I could drink a lot of water.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Oakman

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:58 PM

I think that's a viable option, sans capsule, that is. I was having trouble swallowing so many capsules myself. The way I solved it was too make a smoothie, just dump any number of pill contents in. Problem solved. I don't do that always, but it does work well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bulk powder, capsules

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users