• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

David Sinclair's beginner's guide to anti-ageing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:06 AM

He makes some very bold claims in this article. A lot of hyperbole IMHO. 

Boston-based Sinclair is more than convinced it is – he's taking the latest molecules himself ("part of the fun is seeing if what I experience through my blood tests matches what happens in the mice, or vice versa," he says).

So too are his 77 year-old father, his wife and most recently, his younger brother.

In March this year, influential industry journal Science published Sinclair's lab research showing how a compound called NAD+ (short for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) can reverse ageing in mice muscle and improve DNA growth, which usually splits and regrows imperfectly as part of the ageing process. The results indicate that, in mice, it is possible to repair DNA damage from ageing and radiation.

However, Sinclair is popping the pills. And after just three months on this latest molecule, he says his biological age went from 57 (he's 47) to 31.4 years.

"I don't watch what I eat as much as you might think," he says into the quiet, noting that even though he might only make it onto the treadmill once a week, because of the compound, his body behaves as though he's running every day.

http://www.afr.com/l...20170418-gvmp24

#2 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

"And we discuss again how the anti-ageing science field is filled with snake-oil merchants. He says that he tries to distinguish himself from that, making it clear he doesn't work with nutraceutical or supplement companies.

"I take the high road and develop the pharmaceuticals only," he says. "They might say I'm a salesman, a pitch guy, sure. But read the papers, they're peer-reviewed." 

----------

At this point very few journalist would know enough to as Sinclair why it will take years to market a pharmaceutical that is already a supplement. Elysium says it has sent its results or will send its results to a peer reviewed science journal. If the results are published, journalists will start to ask more about NR than NMN.

#3 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

"And we discuss again how the anti-ageing science field is filled with snake-oil merchants. He says that he tries to distinguish himself from that, making it clear he doesn't work with nutraceutical or supplement companies.

"I take the high road and develop the pharmaceuticals only," he says. "They might say I'm a salesman, a pitch guy, sure. But read the papers, they're peer-reviewed." 

----------

At this point very few journalist would know enough to as Sinclair why it will take years to market a pharmaceutical that is already a supplement. Elysium says it has sent its results or will send its results to a peer reviewed science journal. If the results are published, journalists will start to ask more about NR than NMN.

Yeah, I found that offensive.  He takes his nmn, and resveratrol supplements, but then slams supplement companies?  

Guess he want NMN to be a prescription drug only so insurance companies can pay 10x what it would cost as a lowly supplement that does the same thing.

It is really weird how we keep seeing these articles rewriting the same old news over about nmn over and over.

Edited by able, 23 May 2017 - 06:50 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, I found that offensive.  He takes his nmn, and resveratrol supplements, but then slams supplement companies?  

Guess he want NMN to be a prescription drug only so insurance companies can pay 10x what it would cost as a lowly supplement that does the same thing.

It is really weird how we keep seeing these articles rewriting the same old news over about nmn over and over.

Keep in mind he developed Longevinex, so he was indirectly developing supplements in the past.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users