• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Learning from these reactions?

tmg escitalopram phenibut st john wort bacopa gotu kola lithium theanine pregnenolone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mentha

• 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi everyone,
I frequently read LongeCity forums, so much quantities of information! But this is my first post.
I am 40, battling since childhood with:
Depression, anxiety (social phobia and GAD), OCD (mainly intrusive thoughts, sometimes compulsive checking).
It is really incapacitating. No job. Life as a social outcast.
My goal writing this post is to find new tracks to heal myself. By telling you my reactions to several substances.
I should learn by myself but at the moment, I don't have the intellectual capacities to do so. I feel drained.
There are some scientists on this site, maybe something will be obvious for them...

-I tried TMG recently and it worsens my depression.
-I also feel very bad when I take some antihistamine (Because I have sometimes urticaria/hives when I am not on Escitalpram, without any known allergy).
-I took Escitalopram for several years. It was helping me, even at low dose like 5mg. But I had to stop and don't actually have access to prescription drug. I am clearly less "clever" with it but the relief is real.
-Benzos don't do nothing to me. Or really light relief.
-I feel better using Phenibut, but it doesn't last long and I just take it once a week.
-Feel better with St john wort but it makes me too manic.
-Bacopa: Anxiety and depression are badly worsened if I take it more than a week.
-Gotu kola: Helps me but my nose and mouth become so dry it hurts me.
-I take Lithium orotate 5mg a day since 6 months and I think it helps me. Not really sure but I think it helps me not going too low in despair.
-Theanine each days with a mild calming effect. Maybe I should take more. Actually about 500mg each days.
-I also feel bad after the midday meal. Depressed, anxious, Feeling 'Unreal'.
-I exercise regularly and love sport but days after an intense session of running/swimming/weight training are awful. I can feel the "exercise high" but only for few hours. After that I feel so bad, really depressed and anxious for days.
-Tryptophane/taurine/tyrosine one day each in a week. I am not sure if it helps. Beside making me sleepy, I take it before sleep.
-Pregnenolone, 10mg one time a week since a month. Have had swelling of the face two times since I have begun it. Think it is maybe the cause. No other effect.

Tried without noticeable effects:
Methylcobalamin B12 2.5mg 4 times a week since a month.
Choline, holy basil, ashwaghanda...

I also take multi-vitamin, turmeric, ginkgo...
Talking therapy with psychologists were useful but psychological blockages are still here...

I am also practicing mindfulness.

Do these reactions reveal something about my brain physiology?

Thank you for reading.

#2 hdl_1

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

There are a few things which result in psychological issues that are usually overlooked when getting a medical assessment:

- sleep apnea - feeling tired and unrefreshed after a night sleep. You may not know you have it unless you do a sleep test. I did one on a hunch and my test came out with 60 apnea events per hour... This was a life changer to get things under some form of control.
- leaking gut - inflamation of the intestines which creates partially digested proteins to leak in the blood stream. Immunity response create all kind of issues.
- chronic sinus/nasal inflamation - this is a constant over active immune response. I'm doing nasal rinses with glucocorticoids and my brain fog is already way better...

The fact that you feel bad after intense exercise may point, in my opinion, toward an inflamatory condition that's creating your issues. Intense exercise induces inflamation which may agravate an existing inflamation. I know that in my case, every time I would exercise, I'd pay the next day with constant brain fog.

I'm not sure if any of the above apply to you, but if they do, getting them under control can make you feel better.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

Mentha, you description sounds a bit like myself, but I'm not disabled as much. I'm not sure what I have, but currently I consider mild autism or subclinical bipolar. The 2 most helpful things I discovered is carnosine in AM and lithium in PM. I take more lithium though. About 25mg elemental. My stack is much bigger (vits and minerals) and it's possible it's a combo that works.

#4 Mentha

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

hdl_1: A sleep test? These tests are performed in sleep clinic right? What solutions/treatment did you find?

And I will explore the path of inflammation. I can easily test this. Taking anti-inflammatory during and after the next sport session.

jack black: I think I have also something related to bipolar. So I will look at carnosine closely...

Thank you both.

#5 Mentha

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

"What solutions/treatment did you find?"  For sleep apnea I mean...

#6 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

"What solutions/treatment did you find?" For sleep apnea I mean...

I actually did have sleep apnea confirmed by sleep lab. The sleep lab was Overkill as my wife complained about my snoring and trouble breathing in sleep already. The things that helped were weight loss and no eating or alcohol drinking before sleep. The $$$$ positive pressure mask was unbearable (i consider that a medical scam).

Incidentally, my whole stack made my weight loss possible, as I had some form of compulsive overeating, that only went away by fine tunning of the stack.

Don't get me wrong, sleep apnea was not the primary problem. My mental issues were primary and that caused weight gain and sleep apnea. But sleep apnea made me more tired and depressed feeding the vicious cycle.

You may also look at low testosterone. I had that and it was the very first issue I fixed.

Edited by jack black, 25 June 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#7 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

jack black: I think I have also something related to bipolar. So I will look at carnosine closely...

From my reading carnosine helps in autism. Li helps with bipolar. Lamictal is also great for bipolar. I took it before Li and it was also helpful. However, it was Li taken in PM that resulted in night time hunger going away that allowed me to lose extra weight.

#8 hdl_1

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

I've seen the previous post from Jack Black. Contrary to him, I swear by my CPAP machine (continous positive airway pressure). I don't leave house without it whenever I have to sleep elsewhere lol.
The sleep test is being done in a sleep clinic but it's being covered by insurance if you have one.
This condition is majorly overlooked by doctors taking in average 10 to 15 years for someone to get a diagnosis. The effects on the quality of life are major.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

I've seen the previous post from Jack Black. Contrary to him, I swear by my CPAP machine (continous positive airway pressure). I don't leave house without it whenever I have to sleep elsewhere lol.
The sleep test is being done in a sleep clinic but it's being covered by insurance if you have one.
This condition is majorly overlooked by doctors taking in average 10 to 15 years for someone to get a diagnosis. The effects on the quality of life are major.

I'm glad it works for you and it probably works well for many other people, too. Sleep deprivation by apnea is horrible. I spent several years of my life in a permanent fog and depression before recovering. Just a day ago, I had an unusual insomnia episode, woke up at 1AM and couldn't go back to sleep despite taking melatonin and valerian capsule. Hence, yesterday was a very bad day. My work performance was 50% less, i barely did the things i had to and none of the things that could wait. I did a lot of mindless internet browsing and overate, too. Fortunately, I did get a good night of sleep this night (11 hrs!) and my mental clarity and motivation is amazing (in comparison). I'm much calmer, too.

Edited by jack black, 28 June 2017 - 05:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tmg, escitalopram, phenibut, st john wort, bacopa, gotu kola, lithium, theanine, pregnenolone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users