• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone had wierd side effects from K2 mk4 and/or Vitamin D?

vitamin k2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Consequences

• 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

I started taking vitamin k2 mk4 on Friday, combined with 3000u of D3.

About an hour after I take it - everytime I take them - I get hypersensitive, that is I can feel my pulse in different areas of my body whereas I would usually not notice them. Also I get a slight headache and the other day I had a wierd episode where I felt like something got stuck in my throat when I swallowed... I coughed forcibly and I was instantly dizzy - it only lasted a second but it felt like my brain span out of my head - then I had a migraine for a few hours before taking ibruprofen to kill it.

Now how much of this is placebo as I suffer from anxiety and how much is real?

I see a lot of people having side effects when supplementing k2 or D... but it seems worth these sides to me for the health advantages.

#2 Eryximachus

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:00 AM

I've been taking the stuff for years. No problems.   The breadth of your symptoms seem to be more psychosomatic than anything.  

• Good Point x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:51 AM

Vitamin D is liposoluble and gets accumulated in fat tissues lasting there for quite a long time, for instance one can happily take one dose of 21000IU once a week instead of 3000IU every day.

Therefore your symptoms shouldn't be related to the D component at least.

It may well be just suggestion but what about the excipients, are those tabs/caps or gels?

#4 Ryan Collins

• 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:45 PM

I recently began taking MK4 transdermally at 6mg per day. During the first week I noticed consistent drowsiness a few hours after application. Other than that, nothing else noticeable. This includes the 5000iu of vitamin D I've taken daily for a few years.

Today was the first day I knocked it down to 3mg. No drowsiness to speak of, but I'll be certain after this week.

#5 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:27 AM

I recently began taking MK4 transdermally at 6mg per day. During the first week I noticed consistent drowsiness a few hours after application. Other than that, nothing else noticeable. This includes the 5000iu of vitamin D I've taken daily for a few years.

Today was the first day I knocked it down to 3mg. No drowsiness to speak of, but I'll be certain after this week.

Did you feel irritability?

#6 Ryan Collins

• 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:48 AM

Did you feel irritability?

I did not.

#7 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:16 PM

Still have issues. Not seeing any positive sides. I am wondering if my "Oxford Vitality" K2 is actually genuine... I read a forum thread elsewhere about someone doubting the genuity of OV products.

I will pick up some Life Extension K2 (Mk4 + mk7) next month.

My symptoms only seem to happen in the evening when sitting around watching tv or working. No sides in the day that I notice.

#8 Ryan Collins

• 21 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:06 PM

To update, drowsiness did return while taking 3mg during the day. I'm now taking it at night. Perhaps one noticeable (and unexpected) change is a new vivid dream each night.

Maybe an effect of the Pineal gland decalcifying?

I used to take another brand without any of this happening.

#9 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

Vitamin D gives me hypercalcemia.

http://www.longecity...-hypercalcemia/

#10 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Interestingly, all of my dreams are vivid lately, and I have great memory recall of them. I woke up today (I can still remember my dream now...8 hours later) wondering why I was dreaming it as it made no sense. I was dreaming about eating cheeseburgers, I was some kind of manager of a hotel... there was gang conflict involved... I woke up salivating... wierd.

On top of that I can remember my dreams of the last 3 nights also.

The problem is I have not just been taking D3 and K2 lately... but also eating lots of Gouda cheese which contains K2 mk4 and mk7 and other mk's.... fish oil, ZMA (zing, magnesium, B12) as well as a morning stack of caffeine from freshly ground dark roasted beans from Costa Rica, theobromine from 4 squares of dark chocolate, and 400mg of l-theanine.

Last night I decided to try and power through the migraine and it went away but came back just before I went to sleep (2am) so I popped 2 ibruprofen and slept like a baby...and had vivid dreams.

Due to how long compounds last in the body it is hard to split test. I am wondering if I need D3 as some of my symptoms look a lot like hypercalcemia. Yet K2 is supposed to take calcium out of arteries etc and put it where it is required.

Do you think I should stop taking D3 but carry on taking K2? I read somewhere that they are synergistic and K2 won't work without D3, but you get that from the sun and things like mushrooms which I eat so....

#11 Eryximachus

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Interestingly, all of my dreams are vivid lately, and I have great memory recall of them. I woke up today (I can still remember my dream now...8 hours later) wondering why I was dreaming it as it made no sense. I was dreaming about eating cheeseburgers, I was some kind of manager of a hotel... there was gang conflict involved... I woke up salivating... wierd.

The problem is I have not just been taking D3 and K2 lately... but also eating lots of Gouda cheese which contains K2 mk4 and mk7 and other mk's.... fish oil, ZMA (zing, magnesium, B12) as well as a morning stack of caffeine from freshly ground dark roasted beans from Costa Rica, theobromine from 4 squares of dark chocolate, and 400mg of l-theanine.

Last night I decided to try and power through the migraine and it went away but came back just before I went to sleep (2am) so I popped 2 ibruprofen and slept like a baby...and had vivid dreams.

Due to how long compounds last in the body it is hard to split test. I am wondering if I need D3 as some of my symptoms look a lot like hypercalcemia. Yet K2 is supposed to take calcium out of arteries etc and put it where it is required.

Do you think I should stop taking D3 but carry on taking K2? I read somewhere that they are synergistic and K2 won't work without D3, but you get that from the sun and things like mushrooms which I eat so....

When you read this site long enough, you will see that it is very common for people to report taking a large variety of substances and fixate on trivial side effects and attribute those side effects to one specific substance.  

None of your side effects seem significant, and it's probably all in your head, but the only way to know for sure is to return to baseline and experiment slowly with just one supplement at a time.  You've got no other choice. 

On a related note: eliminate dietary calcium, whether supplements or dairy products.  Consumption of such is the cause of osteoporosis and much heart disease.  You will note that countries with low instances of each have low rates of consumption of dairy products.  If you don't consume dairy products or take calcium supplements, it will be very hard for you to experience hypercalcemia.  

• Good Point x 1

#12 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

When you read this site long enough, you will see that it is very common for people to report taking a large variety of substances and fixate on trivial side effects and attribute those side effects to one specific substance.  

None of your side effects seem significant, and it's probably all in your head, but the only way to know for sure is to return to baseline and experiment slowly with just one supplement at a time.  You've got no other choice. 

On a related note: eliminate dietary calcium, whether supplements or dairy products.  Consumption of such is the cause of osteoporosis and much heart disease.  You will note that countries with low instances of each have low rates of consumption of dairy products.  If you don't consume dairy products or take calcium supplements, it will be very hard for you to experience hypercalcemia.  

I was the one that had hypercalcemia, not him.

It has nothing to do with dairy products or supplements.  edit - it can, but didn't in my case.

Edited by ironfistx, 02 August 2017 - 09:17 PM.

• Agree x 1

#13 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Hyperparathyroidism?

• Good Point x 1

#14 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

Hyperparathyroidism?

Possible but in all my bloodwork it shows normal except slightly higher white blood cells. Year after year the same.

Will see what bloodwork shows soon.  Can't get appointment for a while.

Today I cut everything except ZMA and K2. I actually took 500mcg or K2 instead of the usual 200mcg. I have been fine today, no migraine this evening so far, feel great actually....

In my view it is either anxiety or something else. Either way D supplements seem to mess me up. Having said that I consumed these "vitamin D mushrooms" from a boutique store today with my meal (Steak + brocolli + spinach + mushrooms + carrots + gouda cheese (high in K2)) - I do intermittent fasting so one calorie and nutrient dense meal once per day... with no sides. It seems only supplements effect me badly.

Not managed to find Natto anywhere. Trying to avoid MSG as it has estrogen in it (or produces more) which I am also trying to avoid... not found a Natto source without msg yet.

Another question - K2 - it is said it moves calcium from arterial buildup. Does this hurt? I have been getting pain in extremities lately and dark spots appearing where the pain is. It's not blood clot (checked by a doctor friend).

Edited by Consequences, 02 August 2017 - 11:45 PM.

#15 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

So it appears to be giving me DVT. Either huge coincedence or K2 supplementation is directly giving me DVT patches. I notice pulsing pain in an area of my foot for example last night, this morning I check the area and my veins stand out, are knobbly, and there is some dark patches / bruising in the area. According to this old thread: http://www.longecity...-to-vitamin-k2/ this has been reported on Amazon reviews.

I am getting some pain travelling around my arms and legs intermittently too.

The question is...is this causing problems or is it just the result of the K2 doing its work: arterial decalcification - and for some reason this is hurting me a little? It is more discomfort than pain.

I will add some pictures tomorrow.

For record I am obese, losing weight slowly, used to be near 400lb, now near 300lb, very tall, family history of diabetes and DVT on one side only - I am not diabetic, not even borderline thankfully.

I am going to dial the dose back to 100mcg (one pill) every 2 days, for now.

Shame you can't just get bloodwork done (in the UK atleast) that tells you your levels for everything, including K2 - and so you know what/if you need to supplement.

• Informative x 1

#16 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

UPDATE

So yesturday and the day before I stopped taking K2.

I had already stopped Vitamin D.

Today I took just one pill of K2 mk4 - 100mcg... on an empty stomach.

A few hours later and all the joint pain / vein pain in ankles is back, pulsing away.

So either

• It is doing its work decalcifying and this for some reason hurts me as well as bursting the odd blood vessel.
  • I am allergic to K2 supplements.
  • Oxford Vitality K2 is at fault - it is £8 for 120 of them, all the competition is £20 for 60.

So I am going to stop taking it and try and get some Life Extension which has Mk4 and Mk7 and see what happens.

There seems to be some doubt about OV on an italian forum also.

#17 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

So it appears to be giving me DVT. Either huge coincedence or K2 supplementation is directly giving me DVT patches. I notice pulsing pain in an area of my foot for example last night, this morning I check the area and my veins stand out, are knobbly, and there is some dark patches / bruising in the area. According to this old thread: http://www.longecity...-to-vitamin-k2/ this has been reported on Amazon reviews.

I am getting some pain travelling around my arms and legs intermittently too.

The question is...is this causing problems or is it just the result of the K2 doing its work: arterial decalcification - and for some reason this is hurting me a little? It is more discomfort than pain.

I will add some pictures tomorrow.

For record I am obese, losing weight slowly, used to be near 400lb, now near 300lb, very tall, family history of diabetes and DVT on one side only - I am not diabetic, not even borderline thankfully.

I am going to dial the dose back to 100mcg (one pill) every 2 days, for now.

Shame you can't just get bloodwork done (in the UK atleast) that tells you your levels for everything, including K2 - and so you know what/if you need to supplement.

180kg is a lot. How tall are you? As for vitamin K2 causing deep vain thrombrosis, it now seems plausible to me. My old relative exhibits a lot of signs of it and has for years. The first time he took vitamin K2 MK7 it got considerably worse. Now after taking vitamin K2 MK4 it also has gotten considerably worse (but only on some days). Vitamin K2 seems to exacerbate the symptoms.

The doctor in Europe are freaking incompetent and careless, don't want to test anything.

#18 Consequences

• Topic Starter
  • 43 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

I stopped taking it on the 10th of August and binned them.

Instead I have been eating Gouda cheese and all of the bad symptoms are gone. I don't know if K2 is working for me or not (gouda has a lot of it) but I feel healthier but could be placebo.

I wouldn't recommend K2 via supplements.

• like x 1

#19 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

I wonder why did many here flagged my post and dangerous and like it was something totally incorrect when i described the exact same symptoms from MK7/D3.

I still ordered Thorne D3/K2MK4 liquid drops to give it another try.

Edited by dazed1, 01 February 2018 - 01:26 AM.

#20 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

I have the same nasty reaction to K2 ALONE, even in small amounts, but K2 with K1 does not produce these effects even in large quantities.

I use the Life Extension Super K (has K1, K2-MK4, K2-MK7).

• unsure x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#21 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have the same nasty reaction to K2 ALONE, even in small amounts, but K2 with K1 does not produce these effects even in large quantities.
I use the Life Extension Super K (has K1, K2-MK4, K2-MK7).

I’m having this issue too. I’m trying to drop k1 and mk7 from my stack as they are 5ar inhibitors, but I get some weird effects from k2 alone, no idea what’s behind this. Anyone got a clue?

#22 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 10:00 PM

5ar inhibitors

what are these?  Doesn't everyone say mk7 is good for you?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:29 AM

what are these? Doesn't everyone say mk7 is good for you?

Inhibits DHT. Can be bad for the hormones...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin k2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users