fitness health exercises

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hiya folks!

I've heard resistance training, swimming, jumping jacks etc are beneficial for maintaining fitness levels, ensuring you stay strong and starve off/combat eventual decline, but which exercises do anyone here suggest. What are you aware of, or that you pratice yourselves that would help in this arena?

I'm very slim and extremely interested in getting fit/strong, feeling in top physical condition while exercising for confidence, independant and health/lifespan. 

#2 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Loaded carries. All variations.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

1.  Compound weight lift movements for strength. 

2.  Sprint/HIIT interval aerobic exercise.  80% VO2Max followed by 40% VO2Max.

3.  Sustained aerobic exercise, moderate intensity at 60% VO2/max.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Oakman

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

You've heard right. Everything you mention can be part of improving your overall fitness, plus more if you want to talk longevity. To get longevity I focus on body systems  - so what/how do I work out to keep each of my body's main systems strong?  Longevity doesn't happen if you have a weak heart, poor circulation, or weak breathing capacity, nor if you are frail and lack strength and balance. Address each system's unique needs to stay fit and encourage longevity.

There are a lot of choices of exercise to work on each area. You need to decide for yourself, perhaps hire a personal trainer now and again, who can analyze your current body condition and make recommendations for exact gym routines to do, number of reps, etc., and keep track of your stats. Then add non-gym sports and fitness to get yourself outdoors and in nature.

My advice is try many things, find what you like, and make them part of your (daily or whatever) routine. For me, it's cycling, walking, hiking/climbing which > is cardiopulmonary, circulatory, some muscle groups; plus gym > upper strength and core, plus add'l endurance cardio on machines to fill in outdoor downtime.  It's pretty neat what can be accomplished in a few years of dedicated effort, you only need keep at whatever you like.

One additional benefit of regular, specific exercise is that when something isn't behaving right, you'll recognize it straight away.    

Edited by Oakman, 02 October 2017 - 11:53 PM.

• Well Written x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 jeffshek

• 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:59 AM

I do think there's some emphasis on injury prevention too though ... as you get older, I've realized injury prevention is crucial so you "can" go to the gym. 

• Informative x 1

#6 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

I think that all the suggestions sound great.

nushu, Prophets, Oakman and any others, do you have any opinion about using weighted vests while climbing and descending  2 flights (1 story) of stairs repeatedly or while doing other excercises? Years ago,  I used to carry a heavily weighted backpack while walking in the mountains for a couple hours nearly daily. I will guess that aside from a load on the legs, there was balance needed due to the positioning of the weight towards the rear which might have worked core muscles. I do not know if the balanced nature of weighted vests would have less active balancing needed by muscles, although maybe the upper torso half vests might work due to the higher center of gravity. I guess one could also periodically remove front weights and then remove back weights on other days to give slightly different center of gravity.

Thanks. jeffshek, I find yours to be the most important as I age. My first fitness goal is always no injuries.

bosharpe, you might want to look at 2 of Turnbuckles threads to gather some ideas which at the least might help to increase initial fitness, so that your progression is faster. Good luck.

It is a lot of reading, but worth it I believe.

http://www.longecity...-15#entry829022

http://www.longecity...irl-a-protocol/

• Informative x 1

#7 bosharpe

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Loving these answers folks! Thanks a load for the info and pointing in the right direction so far and there's lots to consider and look at further. Also the good thing is there are plenty of resistance exercises online using only dumbbells (Which is the only gear I own along with a chin-up car) that will kick start me off. Great suggestions - Keeping an eye on injuries, doing something you can incorporate in to your routine easily, work on each area and check-in with a fitness trainer from time to time. Good stuff.

Will also look into what turnbuckle has said in those threads. 

This is what I love about this community!

Edited by bosharpe, 04 October 2017 - 12:39 AM.

#8 Moondancer

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:27 AM

I'm still hesitating between exercise-induced oxidative stress and the benefits of exercising and effects of regular exercise for health. Don't know what the optimal amount of exercise is for health benefits. I like to be ripped, but don't want too overdo it because of oxidative stress. Exercise fails to extend maximum lifespan in studies.

#9 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

I'm still hesitating between exercise-induced oxidative stress and the benefits of exercising and effects of regular exercise for health. Don't know what the optimal amount of exercise is for health benefits. I like to be ripped, but don't want too overdo it because of oxidative stress. Exercise fails to extend maximum lifespan in studies.

Not clear how to put numbers on it, but I think you are on the right track. Start with the extremes ... we know that exercising to exhaustion on a daily basis is not optimal, but that neither is being a total couch potato. Optimal is somewhere in between. And the right place in between may not be exactly the same for everyone. I hope it’s not heresy to suggest that common sense is a good guide, especially for someone like yourself who appreciates the costs as well as the benefits.

#10 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2022 - 03:45 AM

you HAVE TO supplement if you workout/exercise.  Up all your needs plus eat more food. B vitamins are especially wasted. If you workout while deficient you will do more damage than good.

Edited by kurdishfella, 18 April 2022 - 03:45 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:07 PM

HIIT and "social sports" are the best, in my view.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fitness, health, exercises

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users