Gastritis / Reflux Esophagitis / IBS

ibs gas reflux gerd sibo inflammation heartburn digestive issues weight loss

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BADLUCK

• 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

For the past 2 years i have lost a LOT of weight and muscle due not been able to properly eat because of severe digestive distress, until now i havent had a proper diagnosis.

Last week i was rushed to the hospital where they did a gastroscopy, coloscopy, sonar scan and a x-ray.

They found that my stomach is swollen up and i have Reflux Esophagitis grade B, probably due the long lasting GERD i have been experiencing 

They prescibed a PPI that i did use for a week while laying in the hospital, but i cannot take them long term because i have not only reflux but also a very weak and slow digestion which the PPI only makes it worse..

I have the following conditions: gastritis/gerd/reflux esophagitis/ibs/sibo, which leaves me clueless about what to eat, i cannot eat anything slight gassy because my stomach is always full of gas and pressure..

I live now basically on chicken and carrots..

Does anyone have any idea or experience which supplements could help the healing process of my stomach and esophagus? 

Is there also a way to strengthen the LES valve beside breathing exercises? 

Things i am currently on: Carafate, Pepzin GI, Gastrazyme, Siberian pine nut oil, B12 1500 mcg, Collagen, Glutamine.

If anyone has any simple tips/advice on diet or any supplement that i could add i would really appreciate it!!

Edited by BADLUCK, 09 December 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#2 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:16 AM

I had chronic gastritis before, which eventually caused problems with swallowing food because of the reflux from it. I thought I kept getting stomach bugs as I'd get a bad stomach a few times each year, I'd feel full quickly, and had some pressure under my ribs as well as nausea. 

Anyway, I started to put manuka honey on some toast 2-3 times a day and the swallowing problem cleared up within a week. The stomach issue never came back, even after having gastritis for a long time. I don't remember how long I had it, but it was chronic, and would flare up often. I'm sure I had it for over a year... (it was a long time ago). I might've already posted about my experience on here somewhere.

Try allicin max + manuka honey by putting it on some toast. Do this in the morning and evening. You might notice an improvement in a few days, but make sure you do it for at least 1-2 months. If you try it, let me know how it goes! Manuka Honey is one of the few natural things that actually did anything noticeable for me. It also helped other people I've recommended it to.

I increase my allicin to 10 capsules (2-3 times a day) if I think I've caught a stomach virus. It seems to have worked because I've not had a full on stomach bug since 2010 or something. If I feel anything coming on, I take the capsules and symptoms go away really fast.

Choose a good manuka honey product.  You want 10+ UMF rating...  

Good luck! :)

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5307292/

Edited by Matt, 10 December 2017 - 01:31 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 BADLUCK

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

@Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Is Garlic not very hard on a inflamed stomach? 

#4 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:16 AM

@Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Is Garlic not very hard on a inflamed stomach? 

No, I'm not talking about eating fresh garlic, which could make the problem worse. I mean look for a supplement called "Allicin Max". You can probably get it on amazon. :)

• like x 1

#5 GVP

• 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:03 AM

I'm not a doctor, so when it comes to medication I can't provide much direction. 

When it comes to foods, I've found broths/soups to be very helpful. Not storebought, but homemade. Storebought contain too many ingredients, making it difficult to pinpoint what you need to stay away from. Making the broths at home can be lots of work, but it's worth it. Boil chicken or beef bones for 2+ hours and add vegetables and herbs (celery, carrots, potato, onion, rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, oregano, cardamom pods, ...) for the last hour will make a delicious broth. Once your broth is ready, you can add various vegetables and chicken to make it a soup/meal. To the soup, I'd add cubed chicken, cooked basmati rice, carrots, cubed potato, zucchini, red pepper, and green beans. It's basic but easy to digest, especially if the "harder" vegetables (carrots, potato) have cooked for 30-40 minutes.

You can also try mung beans with basmati rice as another dish. They're easy to digest and nutritious.

Hope that helps. I'm curious to hear how it works for you.

• like x 1

#6 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:55 AM

I would give limonene a try. It is cheap and safe, if nothing else. It supposedly works by functioning as a barrier between acids and the esophagus. I've had good long lasting results from taking it, as have a lot of other people. 1000mg twice a day with meals, and of course if possible, avoid sitting for some 2-3 hours post meals.

• like x 1

#7 HaplogroupW

• 101 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

My suggestion is to switch to a ketogenic diet, or use extended fasting, calorie restriction, or some combination thereof, for any chronic inflammatory condition. There is more in the literature, but I suspect this may be the mechanism involved:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4352123/

I suffered with GERD (or esophagitis) for decades. Over the years I've tried all the folk remedies e.g. apple cider vinegar, limonene, as well as antacids, and none was effective. The docs had nothing but Protonix, PPIs and related meds and none did any good. A few years ago I tried OTC Nexium and it provided some, but not complete, relief. I switched to a ketogenic way of eating about a year ago (partly for other reasons). After a few months the GERD resolved. It doesn't happen right away. I didn't even become consciously aware of it until one day my wife brought home a pizza. It's not on the ketogenic menu, but I partook anyway. And that evening I suddenly felt a familiar pain re-assert; it took me a moment to realize what it was; I hadn't experienced it in a while. There are many anecdotes from people on the keto forums about resolution of inflammatory diseases.

• like x 1

#8 BADLUCK

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:07 PM

I'm not a doctor, so when it comes to medication I can't provide much direction. 

When it comes to foods, I've found broths/soups to be very helpful. Not storebought, but homemade. Storebought contain too many ingredients, making it difficult to pinpoint what you need to stay away from. Making the broths at home can be lots of work, but it's worth it. Boil chicken or beef bones for 2+ hours and add vegetables and herbs (celery, carrots, potato, onion, rosemary, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, oregano, cardamom pods, ...) for the last hour will make a delicious broth. Once your broth is ready, you can add various vegetables and chicken to make it a soup/meal. To the soup, I'd add cubed chicken, cooked basmati rice, carrots, cubed potato, zucchini, red pepper, and green beans. It's basic but easy to digest, especially if the "harder" vegetables (carrots, potato) have cooked for 30-40 minutes.

You can also try mung beans with basmati rice as another dish. They're easy to digest and nutritious.

Hope that helps. I'm curious to hear how it works for you.

Thank you, 

I am going to try making some broths!

I would give limonene a try. It is cheap and safe, if nothing else. It supposedly works by functioning as a barrier between acids and the esophagus. I've had good long lasting results from taking it, as have a lot of other people. 1000mg twice a day with meals, and of course if possible, avoid sitting for some 2-3 hours post meals.

looked it up on Iherb, very cheap indeed, not much too loose, gonna add to my save list.

did you notice any irritation in the beginning and after how long did you notice effect? 

My suggestion is to switch to a ketogenic diet, or use extended fasting, calorie restriction, or some combination thereof, for any chronic inflammatory condition. There is more in the literature, but I suspect this may be the mechanism involved:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4352123/

I suffered with GERD (or esophagitis) for decades. Over the years I've tried all the folk remedies e.g. apple cider vinegar, limonene, as well as antacids, and none was effective. The docs had nothing but Protonix, PPIs and related meds and none did any good. A few years ago I tried OTC Nexium and it provided some, but not complete, relief. I switched to a ketogenic way of eating about a year ago (partly for other reasons). After a few months the GERD resolved. It doesn't happen right away. I didn't even become consciously aware of it until one day my wife brought home a pizza. It's not on the ketogenic menu, but I partook anyway. And that evening I suddenly felt a familiar pain re-assert; it took me a moment to realize what it was; I hadn't experienced it in a while. There are many anecdotes from people on the keto forums about resolution of inflammatory diseases.

Thank you i am now on a elimination and i am gonna slowly increase my meal portions and add some fat into it ( beginning with 1 tsp avocado oil etc. ) and hope i am able to ramp that up to big portions 

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:01 PM

My theory, although I never got tested... is that I had h pylori infection which was causing the chronic gastritis. It's actually been about 10 years now since I had the issue. :) 

Hope your problem resolves... report back if you try what I suggested. It's worked for other people that I know.

Edited by Matt, 13 December 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• like x 1

#10 BADLUCK

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

My theory, although I never got tested... is that I had h pylori infection which was causing the chronic gastritis. It's actually been about 10 years now since I had the issue. :) 

Hope your problem resolves... report back if you try what I suggested. It's worked for other people that I know.

Hi Matt,

Havent had the chance to get some Manuka Honey as i am all over the place, i did use a couple of boxes of it a while back ago tho and didn't know quite sure if it helped or not.. it had a MGO of 250+..

right now im just using my current supps to try calm the inflammation before i try anything else

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, gas, reflux, gerd, sibo, inflammation, heartburn, digestive, issues, weight loss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users