• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Major constipation from Reboxetine + Guanfacine!

constipation guanfacine intuniv reboxetine edronax

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Currently on this combo (again) to give it my second go - last time around I got immediate constipation as well - both drugs are known to cause constipation, and NO, it's not because of dehydration - I get dehydrated from stimulants as well, but they cause diarrhoea instead.

I'm drinking as well, got my water-bottle right here, next to my computer.

Last time, I tried water, prunes and a powder containing a combo of sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen carbonate and Potassium Chloride - a combo supposed to help with even the worst cases...

...TO LITTLE OR NO EFFECT!!

All right... this is an immediate problem - because I'm hungry as f*ck but I can't eat sh*t! I can still feel my bowels being swollen and uncleansed since yesterday (third day on Reboxetine) - and I know that if I eat ANYthing now, it might get quite painful...

Now, the reason I dared to try the combo of Guanfacine+Reboxetine again, is because after failing that trial, I decided to go for an attempt at the following combo:

Dexamphetamine, Atomoxetine and Guanfacine - pretty good! But not enough - and the insomnia was becoming a problem, so I figured I needed to stop the AMP - problem is, without AMP, ATX causes intense, intense sedation - to the point of physical danger.

I was also prepared when I started the last combo, with MILK OF MAGNESIA! : D That's right - Magnesium Hydroxide - at a dosage of 300 mg x 3 - aka 900 mg.

I figured, since I did notice MORE constipation from Reboxetine, I'll have to go higher - so this morning, I swallowed a total of 1200 mg Magnesium Hydroxide...

...NO EFFECT!!

It's been hours, and I still haven't defecated! Son of a b*tch...

Right - guys, how do I fix this? How do I last on this drug for the recommended 3 weeks until the side-effect of constipation goes away? Because this is intolerable... I won't last more than a few days if this keeps up, maximum of 2-3 more days, then I'm f***ed.

What IS the mechanism through which RBX causes constipation anyway...? It would appear as if there's a huge variety of NE-receptors, both beta and alpha, in the intestines - is RBX somehow actually neurologically PARALYSING my bowels?? How do I block this effect? There must be a way!

Hmm... I might have access to Sertraline, a drug known to cause fairly intense diarrhoea... I did notice looser stool while using that, and my mother gets intense diarrhoea from it.

I could use some input on this asap... we are talking a few hours here... Honestly, I'm already at double the daily recommended dosage of Magnesium Hydroxide - going even further could have dangerous effects, blocking vitamin B12 and Iron uptake significantly.

#2 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

I have the same issue with Pregabalin. The constipation is like nothing i’ve experienced before. I could almost go for weeks without a bowel movement.
The only thing that helps is Magnesium Sulfate ( this is what they give in hospitals to completely empty your bowels before surgery ) . It’s usualy available OTC in pharmacies. And to make sure it will work, take it as far as possible from your dinner (dine as early as you can), like just before bed. 15mg dissolved in a big glass of water should relieve you the morning after ( if not, increase to 30mg)

Beware the nasty smelling gas it will give you, but hey, that’s the price to pay.

Another product that worked out surprisingly well is a herbal one, but this being a local french brand , it might not be available in your country.Still you can check its composition and perhaps find something similar ( or just buy it on Amazon if available ) : https://www.sante-ve...oduits/transit/

Edited by BlueCloud, 20 December 2017 - 04:51 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Mind_Paralysis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

I have the same issue with Pregabalin. The constipation is like nothing i’ve experienced before. I could almost go for weeks without a bowel movement.
The only thing that helps is Magnesium Sulfate ( this is what they give in hospitals to completely empty your bowels before surgery ) . It’s usualy available OTC in pharmacies. And to make sure it will work, take it as far as possible from your dinner (dine as early as you can), like just before bed. 15mg dissolved in a big glass of water should relieve you the morning after ( if not, increase to 30mg)

Beware the nasty smelling gas it will give you, but hey, that’s the price to pay.

Another product that worked out surprisingly well is a herbal one, but this being a local french brand , it might not be available in your country.Still you can check its composition and perhaps find something similar ( or just buy it on Amazon if available ) : https://www.sante-ve...oduits/transit/

Ey, cheers for the reply, mate. = )

Hmm, I am actually on Gabapentin, which is similar to Pregabalin, as well... 300 mg - thing is, I've never experienced constipation from that - at least not when taken alone - it could be part of the constipation-inducing cocktail here though... But that's a very low dosage, as far as I know.

I'll look into Magnesium Sulfate! I'm surprised though, since the form I saw mentioned online was Hydroxide, and there's is ample official studies showing that it's a laxative - but if Sulfate is what they give in the hospitals, then sulfate is what I will take.

Right... now I'm going to go eat some cabbage. -_-

#4 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

5 grams of Magnesium Chloride and lots of water and you'll be shitting until your bowels are completely empty. It's even better than pharmaceutical laxatives!!

I don't have constipation but have a very slow bowel movement, every once a week I empty my bowels with Magnesium Chloride. Take it in the morning though, taking it at night is at your own risk!  :laugh:

#5 Mind_Paralysis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

Small update, I was informed about the laxative effects of Flaxseeds, and recalled how I bought a small bag about a year back, but stopped using it as a supplement for my muzzli's, because of the negative effects of HYDROGEN CYANIDE(!) - however, the laxative effects seem real. I took one table-spoon last night, and 3 tabs of Magnesium Hydroxide this morning, and after a few hours I made my first defecation! =)

Alas, though... It was not complete. :O It was only a portion of the feces trapped in my intestines - I can tell that there's more left, as I feel unusually full once more, and slightly bloated. After my daily intake of Reboxetine and Guanfacine I also noticed that there's a complete blockage again, since I tried once more to defecate but could not evacuate much of anything - it's as if the bowels just won't obey! The usual stimulus and movements don't work - like if an arm would go limp!

God-damn... Anyways, we'll see... I'm downing another tablespoon of Flaxseeds soon, so that might give some relief. I'm looking into a prescription laxative tomorrow.

5 grams of Magnesium Chloride and lots of water and you'll be shitting until your bowels are completely empty. It's even better than pharmaceutical laxatives!!

I don't have constipation but have a very slow bowel movement, every once a week I empty my bowels with Magnesium Chloride. Take it in the morning though, taking it at night is at your own risk!  :laugh:

LOL!

Well, we'll see. I have previously been informed about two other types of magnesium supposedly being the most laxative forms, so it remains to be seen which form is more laxative. I'll put it on the list though, mate, so cheers for the reply! =)

#6 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Small update, I was informed about the laxative effects of Flaxseeds, and recalled how I bought a small bag about a year back, but stopped using it as a supplement for my muzzli's, because of the negative effects of HYDROGEN CYANIDE(!) - 

could you please tell me what the deal is with the cyanide? I use them in salads.

BTW, in USA you can buy (inexpensively in pharmacies or bigger grocery stores) small bottles (296ml) of flavored Mg citrate solutions (290mg Mg/30ml).  works well the few times I took.

#7 Mind_Paralysis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Small update, I was informed about the laxative effects of Flaxseeds, and recalled how I bought a small bag about a year back, but stopped using it as a supplement for my muzzli's, because of the negative effects of HYDROGEN CYANIDE(!) - 

could you please tell me what the deal is with the cyanide? I use them in salads.

BTW, in USA you can buy (inexpensively in pharmacies or bigger grocery stores) small bottles (296ml) of flavored Mg citrate solutions (290mg Mg/30ml).  works well the few times I took.

Apparently the cyanide isn't an issues unless you eat high amounts and you CRUSH them - if you don't take them apart, the seeds are not greatly broken down by our intestines, and very little of the compound which acts as a pro-drug for hydrogen cyanide is produced.

So, as long as you swallow them whole, then no problemo.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 Mind_Paralysis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

Right, small update on this - it got a lot better eventually, after my body got used to 4 mg of RBX and 3 mg of Guanfacine - even better when I slightly lowered Guanfacine to 2.25 mg's. HOWever... as is logical and reported - once I increased the dosage to 5 mg, the constipation was back. Once more I had to go on the regimen of various laxatives, however it seemed to be more easily resolved this time, only requiring a big dosage of Magnesium to eventually resolve - each morning when the plasma-levels of RBX is lower, the laxatives over-power it and I get terrible diarrhoea.

The first such diarrhoea-attack was actually so bad that I lost a great deal of liquids and electrolytes - I actually felt rather dizzy afterwards! However, things are getting better there as well, my defecation today has been more spread out, which is a good sign, more like how my usual pattern is - I still have diarrhoea though.

I might lower magnesium again, but I've already actually lowered that, and I'm none too keen to potentially get back the constipation...

Btw, I think I've figured out how this works, was going to post a real heureka-moment - in Steven Stahl's book on Pharmacology, he mentions these "Pseudo-anticholinergic" side-effects - and even how some of them can be effectively counter-acted with certain drugs! Apparently, much like is the case with Dopamine having a relationship with acetylcholine, the same is true for NE - Alpha-1-receptors in the intestines control choline-release, and agonising these receptors causes a secondary decrease in cholinergic signalling - in essence, anticholinergic effects! Apparently, the issues I've had with urinal retention and pain, as well as ejaculatory pain and altered time of ejaculation, are all connected to the Alpha-1a-receptor - and applying a antagonist of that receptor, abolishes the symptoms!

HEUREKA!! :D Except... Not heureka. : ( Small pilot-studies have found that alpha-1a-antagonists don't absolve the symptom of constipation - that appears to be connected to another Alpha-receptor. I haven't been able to find any info on which one though, nor on what the densities of alpha-receptors are in the intestines - are we talking alpha1b? Alpha1c? Which one is it? What do they all do, down in the gut?

If anyone has any more info on NE and its role and activity in our digestive system, then that would be great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, guanfacine, intuniv, reboxetine, edronax

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users