• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

General conclusions on longevity/anti-aging/life-span supplements

longevity anti-aging lifespan life-span supplement supplements conclusion conclusions general anti aging

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hi everyone,

Because I haven´t seen a post yet which asked about any general conclusions about supplements for longevity/anti-aging/increasing life-span, I decided to make this post.

Well first off, with all respect, it´s my own opinion this site is pretty chaotic. I think LongeCity is amazing, and I love all the longevity guru´s here, but the site would do better with some ´cleaning´. I intend this post to help bring more order to LongeCity on this topic. This site contains a lot of info, that´s why I ask (especially to older members) to post their general conclusions about supplements as short as possible in this post. Perhaps add a link to another post or site if the info is too long. I think everyone has their interest in this post in order to learn from each other. I would probably read old studies others have already drawn conclusions on weeks, months or years ago. This goes for others as well. This is a very ineffective way of doing research as a team.

I have interest on my own to ask about these supplements as I am pretty sure my diet and lifestyle are already in check. The only think I might want to try again is intermittent fasting and perhaps buy some pets.

There are so many supplements out there which claim to have longevity/anti-aging/life-span increasing effects that it became somewhat chaotic to me. F.e., here is a list of all supplements I came across: metformin, glucosamine, rapamycin, ibuprofen, paracetemol, aspirin, lithium, NMN, PQQ, NR, resveratrol, quercetin, C60oo, Centro, MitoQ, CoQ10, NAD (basis) and acarbose.

You might want to share your motivation for some supplements in particular as everyone has their own reasons to supplement; some might be (very) inexpensive, others might be based high-quality studies like meta-analyses or long-term RCTs, others are simply experimenting on themselves. 
I also have a post about known negative side effects in particular for certain supplements/herbs/spices. If you have some convincing evidence, please share it here: http://www.longecity...es/#entry836469. I thought about asking this question there too, but that might become chaotic as well.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Leon93, 22 December 2017 - 06:55 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 recon

• 192 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

Basis is just NR and pterostilbene (a silbenoid, probably more potent cousin to resveratrol).

NR and NMN are to increase NAD+ levels. NAD by itself isn’t a proven treatment.

Just those corrections.
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:52 AM

There are more combinations of supplements than can possibly be tested. Ever. That's the truth.

• Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#4 Quattro64

• 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:34 AM

Epitalon is probably the best telomerase activator out there, It was very expensive last time I checked. Probably needs to be on the list? Also, glisodin to increase sod1.

#5 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:09 PM

Japanese people dont take any supplements but yet they live long, its about how the food (or in this case supplements) are produced. Which chemicals and so on are used. chemicals that promote cell division will age you faster. Every chemical that is used to grow the food faster and stronger then the animals are injected with hormones on top of the chemically altered food they eat which gets into their system and leads to worse quality and then to us 

living longer not actually an good indication of quality of life 
Japan has the longest living population. But Russia has the most aged population. So if we go by logic, someone that won't live long due to genetics or environment won't make it to old age, so therefore those who do make it to old age are already those who would have made it there regardless because they survived. But with Russia having the most aged population but not longest living (yet) that would indicated that their environment and genetics are up to standards better than the japanese, because unlike Japanese who doesn't have an aging population but has the longest living you never see all the people that died unlike those in russia who survived hence their aging population is the highest. So its not about having the longest living people but having the most people that are older which indicates progress. the numbers would be in proportion

Edited by kurdishfella, 10 February 2023 - 02:11 PM.

#6 Sartac

• 80 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2023 - 06:17 PM

Old post, but it sounds like the suggestion is for some kind of supplements experiences database to post experiences and effects like erowid or others.

Like one poster said, the combinations are endless, and diet and possibly health markers or genetics could be taken into account also.  At least, if such a database or catalog sort of site were stood up, it could have reportable metrics and spots for common aging and cognitive related test details.  Consistency is another matter.

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 06:24 PM

I have taken quite the variety of supplements throughout the last 20 years. None of them have slowed aging for me by very much. My biological age is less than my chronological age, but I am still aging.

My favorite supplements are the ones with a long track record of safety and health benefits. Melatonin, Lithium, Vitamin D3, Fish Oil, Vitamin C

Edited by Mind, 14 February 2023 - 06:00 PM.

• like x 3
  • Good Point x 1

#8 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 13 February 2023 - 11:35 PM

Where did you read that Ibuprofen has life extending traits?

• Enjoying the show x 1

#9 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 06:17 PM

It was mentioned a couple of times in previous forum discussions.

Reason covered this in his blog as well.

Edited by Mind, 15 February 2023 - 07:42 PM.

• Informative x 1

#10 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:03 AM

Cool.  The twitter thread doesn't talk about Ibuprofen.  Your other link was interesting, however I've been told not to utilize Ibuprofen because it's bad for liver and bad for tendons.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 07:43 PM

Cool.  The twitter thread doesn't talk about Ibuprofen.  Your other link was interesting, however I've been told not to utilize Ibuprofen because it's bad for liver and bad for tendons.

Sorry about the bad link. Here is a discussion about it.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longevity, anti-aging, lifespan, life-span, supplement, supplements, conclusion, conclusions, general, anti aging

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users