- - - - -

Best dosage long-term 24 year old niacin/nicotinic acid

dose dosage long term long-term niacin nicotinic acid nad nad+

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leon93

• 72 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

I wonder what a better dosage is for long-term supplementation: 500mg or 1g? Some sources claim 500mg is too low. Thing is that I´m on a budget, so I would prefer 500mg, but only if it does something off course. I´m 24 years old so perhaps I need less as well than others. 

Then there´s also a concern one needs to supplement acute release, rather than extended or sustained release, due to hightened diabetes risk. But perhaps biting/chewing an extended/sustained release pill causes it to be exact like an acute release?

#2 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Does nicotinic acid extend telomeres? Else you posted in the wrong forum.

If you want to take NA just take a couple of grams a day, at least 1g. Therapeutic dosage for heart disease is 3g. It's harmless.

The reason for avoiding extended release is not the "diabetes risk," it's because of the liver damage risk because nicotinic acid temporarily inhibits the release of triglycerides. But immediate release nicotinic acid does not pose a risk.

There is no diabetes risk, it's a myth. Nobody has gotten diabetes from taking massive dosages over years. It's only a theoretical possibility based upon an assumed mechanism but some evidence suggests that NA may exert positive effects on diabetes. A lot of vitamins and minerals have been said to potentially cause diabetes but it always turns out to be junk science.

#3 Leon93

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for answering. Is it true one can ´bypass´ extended or sustained release pills by biting the pill before swallowing? I read something about it.

Now you mention it, I read some evidence NA actually lowers diabetes risk as well.

And on having to take at least 1g, can you provide some evidence of this? Some take 500mg, others 1g. And given I´m pretty young, might there be some truth to me taking 500mg being sufficient? The thing is some sites (like the niacin page of examine.com) claim one has to take at least 1 gram daily to notice benefits. But I´m not sure if they considered young people like myself when making that conclusion.

My bad on posting in the wrong forum. I thought this forum was generally on all anti-aging questions, given telomeres have a lot to do with increasing life span/longevity. Guess I have to duplicate this post in another forum now.

Edited by Leon93, 14 January 2018 - 12:50 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

500mg works obviously but I don't think it's the same as the higher dosages.

Nicotinic acid is more for older people than it is for younger people.

• Needs references x 1

#5 Leon93

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Just to be completely sure, nicotinamide (niacinamide) does not cause NAD+ to rise right? As it doesn´t cause any flush, which I read is essential for NAD+.

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Just to be completely sure, nicotinamide (niacinamide) does not cause NAD+ to rise right? As it doesn´t cause any flush, which I read is essential for NAD+.

Of course it does, and rather more than niacin. 

#7 Slobec

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

Its very important to take some of methyl donors with niacin/niacinamide. Some people even complain that they get depression when they take some NAD precursor.

http://www.freewebs....in_therapy.pdf

Edited by Slobec, 22 February 2018 - 02:14 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#8 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

Its very important to take some of methyl donors with niacin/niacinamide. Some people even complain that they get depression when they take some NAD precursor.

http://www.freewebs....in_therapy.pdf

I would suggest taking an equal amount of ribose with nicotinamide. They both go into NAD and ATP production, and ribose is not plentiful in cells. A shortage of ribose can produce CFS. See--

The use of D-ribose in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: a pilot study.

RESULTS:
D-ribose, which was well-tolerated, resulted in a significant improvement in all five visual analog scale (VAS) categories: energy; sleep; mental clarity; pain intensity; and well-being, as well as an improvement in patients' global assessment. Approximately 66% of patients experienced significant improvement while on D-ribose, with an average increase in energy on the VAS of 45% and an average improvement in overall well-being of 30% (p < 0.0001).

CONCLUSIONS:
D-ribose significantly reduced clinical symptoms in patients suffering from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 22 February 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#9 mbdrinker

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2022 - 10:28 PM

I confirm that nicotinic acid is uselss before 40 years old or so but is turbo energy booster after that age.1/4 of standard russian tablet drives me like crazy. I bet 500mg or more can just kill.. At mentionded 1/4 of tablet pulse doubles with some heart strain with me. But energy returns from 45 to 30 years old.

#10 mbdrinker

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2022 - 10:32 PM

Mb could be metil donor i guess but i don't take it anymore because of its serotonin boosting effect and resulting gynecomastia and loss of libido

#11 osris

• 518 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 04:54 PM

Does nicotinic acid extend telomeres? Else you posted in the wrong forum.

If you want to take NA just take a couple of grams a day, at least 1g. Therapeutic dosage for heart disease is 3g. It's harmless.

The reason for avoiding extended release is not the "diabetes risk," it's because of the liver damage risk because nicotinic acid temporarily inhibits the release of triglycerides. But immediate release nicotinic acid does not pose a risk.

There is no diabetes risk, it's a myth. Nobody has gotten diabetes from taking massive dosages over years. It's only a theoretical possibility based upon an assumed mechanism but some evidence suggests that NA may exert positive effects on diabetes. A lot of vitamins and minerals have been said to potentially cause diabetes but it always turns out to be junk science.

ChatGPT says:

This information contains some inaccuracies and should be approached with caution. While niacin (nicotinic acid) is a form of vitamin B3 and is essential for health, it's crucial to be aware of potential side effects and interactions, especially when considering therapeutic dosages.

Dosage: The recommended daily allowance for niacin varies depending on factors such as age, sex, and overall health. Taking "a couple of grams a day" or a minimum of 1g may exceed recommended levels and lead to adverse effects.

Therapeutic dosage for heart disease: The therapeutic dosage for heart disease may vary for individuals, and a dosage of 3g should be determined under the guidance of a healthcare professional.

Harmlessness: While niacin is generally safe at recommended doses, taking high doses can lead to side effects such as flushing, itching, and liver problems. It's essential to discuss any supplementation with a healthcare provider.

Extended release vs. immediate release: The information about extended-release niacin and the risk of liver damage needs clarification. Both forms of niacin can have side effects, and their use should be discussed with a healthcare professional.

Diabetes risk: There is evidence linking high doses of niacin to an increased risk of insulin resistance, which could potentially contribute to diabetes. The assertion that there is no diabetes risk may not accurately represent the current understanding of the topic.

It's important to note that scientific knowledge evolves, and recommendations may change over time. Individuals considering niacin supplementation, especially at higher doses, should consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice based on their health status and medical history.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#12 mbdrinker

• 135 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2024 - 03:21 PM

I now take 25mg twice a day. It's worse than year ago but still not fake like vit c in Russia. Without it it's even difficult to move as all food is poisonous except from muslim shops.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dose, dosage, long, term, long-term, niacin, nicotinic acid, nad, nad+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users