L-Tyrosine did not work...Why?

depression dopamine tyrosine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rsonius

• 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

Hello Forum,

I tried L-Tyrosine [Solgar brand] for two weeks at a dose of of 1500 MG and it did not improve my mood or give me energy.

I suffer from depression - anhedonia - low libido - brain fog - poor memory...46 year old male.

Wellbutrin  XL [ bupropion ] 300 MG gives me a slight boost in energy and libido but does nothing to improve my mood or emotions.

I recently stopped taking this cold turkey...35 days off.

While on the Wellbutrin i was also prescribed Luvox [ fluvoxamine ] for 4 months at a final dosage of 150 MG.

This did not make me feel good at all with some highly increased anxiety and some minor restless leg.

In the past i have been on:

Prozac [ fluoxetine ] - made me very tired / sleepy

Cymbalta [ duloxetine ] this seem to help with mood and energy right away but i could not get an erection.

Seroquel [ quetiapine ] this made me tired / sleepy - was not on it long - do not trust antipsychotics

Also...of note is that I do have low Testosterone...153 ng/dl.

My current insurance will not cover the doctor's prescription for Androgel...I was denied twice in the appeal process.

I believe that I have either low Dopamine and/ or low Norepinephrine and NOT Low Serotonin as most practitioners seem to think is the main cause of depression type illness.

Does any of this brief information allow anyone in this forum to suggest any form of specific treatment that might help me?

I know everyone will jump at the Low-T...but put that aside.

Can you recommend either some Medicine [s] or Natural Supplements?

Thank You.

Roger 

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

L-tyrosine tends to work only when:

- you are sleep deprived

- or use with a MAOB-inhibitor

- or take a megadose >5 grams

I just ingested 10 grams of l-tyrosine with Rhodiola, Ashwagandha and Guarana. Will report back.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

"Also...of note is that I do have low Testosterone...153 ng/dl."

this is not of note, this is the problem you have. Either get a script for HCG or clomifen, or otherwise get if from overseas pharmacies (it's cheap).

#4 rsonius

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the replies.

What about this stack to help with my low Testosterone and Anhedonia?:

D-Aspartic Acid

Sarcosine [ N-methylglycine ]

NAC [ N-Acetyl-Cystine ]

CDP-Choline

I did some searching for Medicinal Testosterone and the sources I found were either not cheap or I did not find them credible.

My main exploring was for the Gel form. It would be very difficult for me to trust an injection version.  

Edited by rsonius, 20 January 2018 - 12:00 AM.

#5 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:18 AM

I gave you my advice and you ignored it. 

good luck!

#6 rsonius

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

To jack black,

Thank You...I did not ignore your advice. I did search online for overseas Testosterone supplementation. It was still expensive. Do you think it is even trustworthy?

If you could advise me further on how to find a reputable source I would appreciate it.

Anyone else...Please comment on my opening thoughts and on my proposed stack. 

#7 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

If you have low testosteroine you must get it treated. This is the most likely  cause. Even if it is not, it will only be making matters worse. Find a way to get it treated - without buying dodgy shit off the net.

Assuming you have treated the low test and still have symptoms...deciding you have low DOP, NOR or SET is over simplistic. Antidepressants, psychotherapy and lifestyle changes are the only evidence based treatments. Major causes of treatment resistance are inadequate trials and doses.

Antidepressants must be trialed for six weeks AT THE MAXIMUM DOSAGE TOLERATED. That means titrating up and then 6 weeks at the max dose.

Standard procedure is to trial two SSRI's, then 2 SNRI's. The moment a drug has a significant if not total improvement the maximum tolerated dose should be reached. Then augmentation with other drugs. Duloxetine worked. It might be worth another try. Adding Buproprion which seemed to also have some impact may help avoid the ED. Mirtazapine may also have the same effect.

I restate. You won't get better meaninfully until the Test issue is dealt with.

#8 mallai

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:38 PM

"Also...of note is that I do have low Testosterone...153 ng/dl."

this is not of note, this is the problem you have. Either get a script for HCG or clomifen, or otherwise get if from overseas pharmacies (it's cheap).

It's NOT always the problem..I've had low levels of T (111 ng/dl) and experimented many years with different cycles/types and NONE of them helped my depression..With that said, there are some benefits, but it's not a panacea to beat depression just because your levels are low..

#9 DarkRiver

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

My depression seems to be rooted in the dopamine reward system. I respond pretty well to Adderall and methylphenidate, but taking l-tyrosine, l-phenyalanine and l-dopa do nothing for me, strangely and sadly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#10 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:48 AM

You could try pramipexole for a month or there about. Easily obtained as a research chemical. It will or can make you sleepy so its a nighttime supplement for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, dopamine, tyrosine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users