- - - - -

Cannabis - Anecdotes of Unique Benefits for Longevity

cannabislongevitycancer weight morbidity mortality thc cbd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bzork

• 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

A chronic low dose of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) restores cognitive function in old miceNature Medicine, 2017; DOI: 10.1038/nm.4311

Has anyone noticed a correlation between long-term cannabis use and maintaining a reasonable weight? Several colleagues have noted that very few regular cannabis users are obese.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 Bzork

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

http://beforeitsnews...ity-957324.html

125 year old pot smoker claims weed was her secret to longevity.

Edited by Bzork, 21 January 2018 - 04:11 AM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bzork

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:15 AM

The Potential Therapeutic Effects of THC on Alzheimer's Disease

https://content.iosp...sease/jad140093

• Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 Oakman

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

There is this...

"Does Weed Make You Fat?

As stoners seem to come in all shapes and sizes, it is unclear from mere observation whether weed leads to weight loss or gain. Perhaps counterintuitively, a 2013 adjusted epidemiological study showed that obesity rates are significantly lower for all groups of cannabis users (inclusive of gender and age) compared to those who had not used cannabis in the last 12 months. Although these findings have been replicated, the cross-sectional nature of this study precludes establishing causality; we cannot conclude that marijuana causes weight loss.The lower Body Mass Index (BMI) of pot-smokers may be explained by an adaptive down-regulation of brain endocannabinoid signaling. While acute THC stimulates appetite, the repeated stimulation of CB1 receptors by THC decreases receptor expression and sensitivity, and long-term stimulation may result in antagonistic rather than agonistic triggering of CB1 receptors, which would dampen hunger signals. Furthermore, CBD and another component of marijuana, tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV), may reduce body weight, as animal models of obesity using overweight mice have shown THCV to increase metabolism of fat cells. But before you get excited that marijuana may burn fat, please realize that very few strains on the market have significant levels of THCV, so do your research (such as these four strains of skinny-pot that won’t bring out the munchies). 

Therefore, research shows that marijuana does not directly contribute to fat gain, and properly harnessing its dose-dependent stimulation or suppression of appetite may enable muscle gains or fat loss. For example, biohacking bodybuilders (or others desiring a post-workout anabolic state) can increase post-workout protein intake for mass and muscle building by consuming THC (in a higher-than-usual dose) before big workouts, while those pursuing fat loss and appetite control may actually suppress nighttime cravings by using smaller doses of THC on a more frequent basis."

• Informative x 2

#5 AmyKelly

• 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:56 AM

Weed can never be life-extending. In fact, the packaged weed we get these days are much more intense and harmful to our bodies than it used to be in 60's and 70's. This addiction might take you where no one wants to be and that is loneliness. 

One of my friend's relative has by now went for 8 treatments to get off his addiction to weed and has found no success yet. 

And in any case, if weed gives you an extended lifespan of this poor quality, better is to die early then die daily. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#6 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

If you want to consider weed as an herbal it makes sense to treat it like one and not burn it and inhale the smoke.  I would agree that doing that can probably never be good for you.  Given that it's a mixed bag of components and fairly easy to do targeted extraction, there's no reason to ingest any one component known to be toxic. Most of the literature I've seen suggests the CBD component is the main one with the positive health effects and no downside. The good news is it's now generally available in 98% and higher purity but not yet as widely studied as I like to see.

Howard

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#7 Oakman

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:15 PM

Impressive. A thread where every post so far (save by one poster) has been deemed, "Dangerous, Irresponsible". Glad to be here!

If you want to consider weed as an herbal it makes sense to treat it like one and not burn it and inhale the smoke.  I would agree that doing that can probably never be good for you.  Given that it's a mixed bag of components and fairly easy to do targeted extraction, there's no reason to ingest any one component known to be toxic. Most of the literature I've seen suggests the CBD component is the main one with the positive health effects and no downside. The good news is it's now generally available in 98% and higher purity but not yet as widely studied as I like to see.

Howard

You've got a point about smoking, as none of the people that have inhaled cannabis since about 3000BC are still with us. That has to say something about the longevity angle. There does deserve to be far more studies done on cannabis. Of course it's all the harder when doing even basic science on cannabis is often resitricted. It's so engulfing in political, legal, and availability issues. 

Like other herbal substances, more mundane uses for pain, nausea, and nural aliments seem more promising and will get funding. I ran across this, 60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana, but alas no mention of longevity.

• like x 4
  • Cheerful x 1

#8 Bzork

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:44 AM

Oakman, you got me to actually find this thread I started and post my response to the one before yours - from Howard:

Howard, I generally agree with you. Smoking anything floods the body with toxins and AGEs. 

Concerning isolated extracts, opinions differ. Whole plant alcohol extracts of cannabis, i.e. Rick Simpson Oil, have a good track record of combatting cancer successfully. Natural sources of nutrients contain substances that reinforce the positive effects of others. For example, citrus peel contains bioflavonoids that greatly increase the bio-activity of vitamin C. Coca leaves contain B vitamins that are swiftly used up by the isolated extracted drug. In so many cases, full plant extracts are far more effective while only supplying smaller doses of the active ingredient.

Western medicine has focused upon isolated components of plants and synthesized versions of them. This does have the advantage of standardized dosage. And since CBD is not psychoactive, it is legal in states where THC is not. 

Once when I made a coconut oil extract of cannabis, I gave a small dose to my mother and a twice that to myself to try out its potency. About an hour later, we were both sweating, paranoid and trying to hold still so as not to vomit. "Sorry, Mom" - I said - "guess this batch is stronger than the last. I'll cut down the dosage next time."
cleardot.gif

Oakman, I enjoy your irreverence greatly. I too find doing basic science on cannabis challenging. It's like playing with a handicap. My mind thinks up fascinating non-logical ideas and solutions to problems, but straightforward logical thinking can get somewhat derailed.

Edited by Bzork, 23 March 2018 - 01:55 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1

#9 fiftyyy

• 44 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Weed can never be life-extending. In fact, the packaged weed we get these days are much more intense and harmful to our bodies than it used to be in 60's and 70's. This addiction might take you where no one wants to be and that is loneliness. 

One of my friend's relative has by now went for 8 treatments to get off his addiction to weed and has found no success yet. 

And in any case, if weed gives you an extended lifespan of this poor quality, better is to die early then die daily. 

Very valid point. That's why i think people should advocate for more bio-cannabis, which IMO has therapeutic value. High grade cannabis will build up more THC in the bloodstream for days.

#10 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:35 PM

A chronic low dose of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) restores cognitive function in old mice. Nature Medicine, 2017; DOI: 10.1038/nm.4311

Has anyone noticed a correlation between long-term cannabis use and maintaining a reasonable weight? Several colleagues have noted that very few regular cannabis users are obese.

What would a human logos be considered?

#11 jennyjackson

• 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

I don't know if there is a secret to longevity since this is depending on many factors. Cannabis definitely has many advantages. A friend was looking for seeds for sale in Canada at one point because he wanted to set up a small shop. I would love to help him out, but I cannot do it because of my laws that are present in my country. I would love to see legalization. After all, there are so many benefits and I am sure that the state would be able to make huge profits out of this. But we shall see what the future is going to bring

• Agree x 1

#12 Bober

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:04 AM

I think that if you are so intrigued by cannabis as a phenomenon and you haven't tried it yet, then you should start by visiting the WeedDelivery store. There you will be able to choose for yourself the best strains of cannabis as well as other products related to marijuana. Only natural products that will be suitable for you.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 11:19 PM

Are there any good CBD oils that have a LOW dose of THC? I am looking to regulate my intake. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannabislongevitycancer, weight, morbidity, mortality, thc, cbd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users