• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think of the new Longecity logo?

longecity

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Longecity logo (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the new Longecity logo?

1. It's ugly and amateurish (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Meh (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. I liked the old logo more (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. It's awesome! (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

I'd like to get some feedback on the new Longecity logo with the little white guy standing under the sign opposing the grim reaper.

As a guy who worked in design and branding for a decade I think it poorly represents Longecity

• One of the most important parts of good design, branding or logo is symmetry. 
  • The old logo was very nice, symmetrical and captured the longecity brand.
  • The grim reaper character contrasts very poorly against the dark blue background
  • It says Longecity twice, in pixelated little letters on the sign over the white guy and behind the grim reaper guy, this is redundant.

It looks really amateurish (like something a none-designer created in MS paint in 10 minutes), go look at the websites and logos of any of the major startups in the antiaging industry, they all have symmetrical professional logos, not cartoonish ones. 

I say let's go back with the old logo. If ain't broke don't fix it.

#2 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

I find it an entertaining new logo that says what we're about. :)

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Caliban made the new logo and implemented it. He said in the Newsletter that it was temporary. Glad to get feedback through this poll.

#4 jroseland

• Topic Starter
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

I find it an entertaining new logo that says what we're about. :)

I would suggest that if we're going to have a cartoonish main logo that cartoonish iconography be used throughout the site.

As it stands it's bad, inconsistent design.

I actually believe in the Longecity mission and so I oppose anything that makes us look silly and amateurish. 

• Agree x 2

#5 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

I too believe in and support the Longecity mission. However, that is a fun logo and I think that at the very least, if should be made available as a bumper sticker and/or t-shirt design in the Cafepress Shop that we had here or some other way of selling merchandise. :) Would look nice on coasters too.

• Cheerful x 1

#6 Oakman

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

It's cute, although has a bit of Halloweenishness to it. I think something cell-like as in the below logo looks more professional, as it adds a bit of scientific bent.

I realize it's hard to find a way to put "Longecity" in anything, so the signpost does that, and the raised hand is clearly "stop death".  But are you actually trying to convey 'stop death' or rather 'healthy longevity'?

sod7.jpg

• Agree x 2

#7 Droplet

• 6,772 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

It's cute, although has a bit of Halloweenishness to it. I think something cell-like as in the below logo looks more professional, as it adds a bit of scientific bent.

I realize it's hard to find a way to put "Longecity" in anything, so the signpost does that, and the raised hand is clearly "stop death".  But are you actually trying to convey 'stop death' or rather 'healthy longevity'?

sod7.jpg

That's nice and a good idea. :)

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

I think the message a cartoonish logo sends is that longecity isn't taking things (or itself perhaps) nearly as seriously.

"Lighten up, Francis"

Edited by rwac, 09 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

• Cheerful x 1

#9 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

One of the most important parts of good design, branding or logo is symmetry.

yay!    Nike.  Youtube.  Apple.  What do they know?  ;)

It says Longecity twice, in pixelated little letters on the sign over the white guy and behind the grim reaper guy, this is redundant.

The 'logo' is only the picture part. So in that respect it would be a great improvement over the current one because it can be used stand-alone.  

The grim reaper character contrasts very poorly against the dark blue background

well, but you know why...   :happy:

something a none-designer created in MS paint in 10 minutes

I'd be thrilled if a 'proper designer' (or just someone with photoshop) had a crack at improving the cartoon!

now...

The real LongeCity Logo is described in our articles of incorporation. I'm not proposing to change it.

Nonetheless, you will see the cartoon or something like it again – if someone can make it more appealing that would be lovely! (we are also still hoping for a pixelart designer to design a ‘city’ theme for the whole site). 

But I was hoping for some reactions and discussions exactly like the above  :~  along with spreading some cheer and reminding people what this site is really about. 

"The old logo [...] captured the longecity brand."
how so? What is the "longecity brand" to you? I'm really curious to hear from you and others on this.  

"go look at the websites and logos of any of the major startups in the antiaging industry"
Is that what you think we are and who we are comparing ourselves to?

"... are you actually trying to convey 'stop death' or rather 'healthy longevity'?"

This is a very important point.  Nearly everyone else is very careful to be talking about 'healthy longevity' - we are not. Our members join the Immortality Institute and our mission is to "conquer the blight of involuntary death".  Yes. The gloomy, horrid, off-putting 'D' word is there; as it was in the title of our book above; as it features in the cartoon logo.  

'Healthspan extension' is the politically astute thing to promote, but LongeCity has a more radical outlook. 
If a cartoon logo helps to drive home that message it is... (looking through the carefully balanced poll options)... well, "awesome"  :laugh:

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longecity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users